We arrived at camp on Friday night. Attendee List:

OG, Wifey, Jessy, Will
Big Dude, and Amma
The Reverend
Scott
Jose, Sveta and Poopies
Graham
Cody

Saturday morning we got a 10AM start and ran up Kaner Flats to. . The NASTY spot. There was a little log jam/winch fest going on there so we watched the show. I cleaned the hill and turned around to provide winch support. . .only minor body damage here. . .

Onward to Heart Attack Hill. . .on the lower section, Cody got his CJ a tad bit (ok, a lot) sidewards and had to be winched straight. The hills were muddy. A little backing up and trying again, a little nudge on the bridges, but we all stayed on the original trail lines. Lunch time at Lily Pond, Graham returned the favor of my loaned U-Joint by changing one of mine for me. . .Then on down the slimy Lily Pond drop off to Milk Creek and back to camp. . .Good times on Saturday.

I'll let Graham tell the story of today. . .

Pics. . post em if you've got em.
Last edited by OldGreen on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:50 pm

I headed up on Friday after work got off work around 6:30 went to the gas station filled up drove to Naches topped off and pulled into camp around 8:30 no problems and didnt get pulled over

Sat. we ran up kaner then down lilly pond O.G. was the only one to make the step up on kaner everyone else winched, and I plowed a tree dead center :oops: and got a bead blown off by being winched sideways

Sun. we ran wood pecker to the rocks i had to turn around where a big tree had fallen over making for a tight spot in the trail went around and saw Keg and what was left of his group on the road. then headed up to the rocks and after a little play we headed back down.
aired up and headed home

I say it was a good weekend no tickets and had a good time

I have no pictures but Im sure others do as I saw them being taken

GRADESCHOOL

Postby GRADESCHOOL » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:47 pm

I have to say thanks to everyone this was another great run accept for that tree that got in my way when trying to fallow OG but it happens. I have a few pics so hee they are.

Roman

The Group

The Reverend

Graham

Cody

My carnage

Sorry OG the pictures with you in it will not upload i will try again tomarrow.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:51 pm

one thing i cant forget
jim how many times did i hear you tell your kids to back up when i came up to an obsticle?

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:46 am

79chevy39.5's wrote:one thing i cant forget
jim how many times did i hear you tell your kids to back up when i came up to an obsticle?

Every time. . .but it wasn't just you. . .

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:14 am

Ended up going Sunday with my old man. Here's how it went down:

Friday ~ 6:30pm, pop calls me...

Pop: What are you doing Sunday?
Me: Dunno, working around the house was the plan. Why?
Pop: Put a locker in that POS Jeep and let's go wheelin!
Me: Umm, OK...

Sunday ~2:30pm...

Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:38 am

That hurts :shock:
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:30 am

Yeah, and what you DON'T see in the pic is said POS Jeep halfway buried in the mud, with a Hi-Lift on one corner and a winch line on the other holding it steady :lol:

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:35 am

Sounds like a good time. I was glad to see Graham on Milk Creek road. He let me know the road was passable. Some guy on the top told me he didn't think even bikes could get through. We took the chance and went down it anyways. I wanted to show the wife Ravens Roost before for heading home Sunday. She got to see it in the clouds. :( I believe we saw two more of you guys on NF19 as we were headed back. We were in the wife's half yellow XJ and we had Tiny with us in his yellow CJ5. We had a Sami with us but he went on ahead of us after Ravens Roost.

Let's see Kaner pics.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:03 pm

Looks like good times! :D

Did you guys have a spare shaft?

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Ceg wrote:I believe we saw two more of you guys on NF19 as we were headed back.

That was me and Scott,
I tried to wave, and keep the jeep on the road, in the corner, at 4 1/2 lbs. . . :lol:
So you might not of seen it!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:10 pm

Where are everybody's pics???????????????????????? Cameras were everywhere!!!

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:54 pm

i most remember jims dads camera out the most and i want to see joses i know he has some of me struggling throught a spot or two.

GRADESCHOOL

Postby GRADESCHOOL » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:35 pm

cody had a camera but i dont think he could figure out how o put the pictures on a computer if it came with instructions

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:20 am

commando14 wrote:Looks like good times! :D

Did you guys have a spare shaft?

Unfortunately not... In all my spare time, I haven't yet completely setup my tool/repair kit for the YJ. I now, however, have a few ammendments to make to that kit anyways, so it was truly a good learning experience :lol:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:09 pm

OK folks. . .here is my full report with pictures (thanks Dad).

Most of the group arrived in camp on Friday night. My parents and kids came up on Thursday and staked out a really sweet camp site for us all.

Saturday morning we got a leisurely start out of camp at about 10AM. About a mile down the road, Jose got a really bad, violent Death Wobble. We took off a wheel, reinstalled it, and gave the Jeep quick once over and didn't seen anything too abnormal.

Soon, we were off to Trail 676 Kaner Flats Via the Quartz Meadow Road with the death wobble under control.

The first section is just good to get your sea legs under you and remind you to put the hubs in.
Scotty:

Next up, the rest of the group aired down some. Since I had started out at 4psi, I went up ahead to look at the condition of Elephant Dung hill. NO problem at all so we cleared the top and waited for the rest of the group. Some quads came along and caused a little delay, but no biggy. Here is the Peak Putter Pause on top:

Next we soldiered on to the road crossing and took the optional short black diamond loop to the sidehill, over the bridge and to the meadow before the really nasty muddy, rooted up tree spot. A couple in the group needed a little coaxing through the twisties after the first bridge, but, again, nothing major. When we got to the meadow, we encountered a traffic jam of about 6-8 rigs waiting and winching on the nasty spot.

While waiting and watching the show, we noticed that the legal line has been re-routed to the left side. No one was making it. Finally, a really nicely built Comanche managed to scrape it's way over the slimey roots between the trees without a winch cable. This gave us a little hope.

After the last of the other group was up, we decided that someone with a winch should go first because it was pretty obvious that not everyone was going to make it unassisted. I volunteered and lined up right behind the still-winching YJ on 36" swampers that was the tail-gunner for the other group. In my mind, I had a pretty big dilema. On one hand, this little climb was too tall for my wheelbase, the mud was too slick, the roots were too big and the trees were too close together. On the other hand, my DAD is SITTING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT!!! The very man that patiently taught me how to drive this very Jeep is sitting there, mentally picking out the right line up this climb. No pressure OG> > >no pressure. Not only that, he has on new shoes and so do I. . .OK, I know only 1 out of 10 rigs made it and they had a 20" longer wheelbase. . .but. . .whew. . .so here's how it went.

1st gear, low range, front ARB engage. Idle up my intended line with my aired down PitBull Rockers clawing for another inch. Clutch. Roll back 2 feet. Brake. 2nd gear. WOT. . .bwaaaaaaaaa. . ..release throtle.. .bounce. . ..bwaaaaaaaaa. . ..over.

The other group hadn't even gotten in their rigs yet. At the time, I played it off like it was no big deal. . .but I had to change my shorts when we got back to camp. Poppy (fotog) was riding shotgun, so no pictures of this, but here is the same spot for the rest of the group.

Jose gave it a very valiant effort and damn near made it.
Cody
Jose giving it another shot. . .a little less air pressure, but the same result.
Scotty
Graham blew a bead when he got wedged and we had to winch him sideways.
The Reverend

Now we soldiered on to the bottom of Heart Attack Hill.
View up the steep section.

Scotty got a little wedged and smacked his rear quarter on a tree. We spotted him out.

Cody got REALLY sidewards AND wedged. Jose provided anchorage to winch him back onto the correct line. Nobody had big problems with the steep part of the hill. I took the far left line and the rest of the group took the far right.

On to Lily Pond with no major action other than a little trouble for some of the guys getting up on the slimy bridges. Once at Lily pond, I had to swap out a couple of u-joint caps on my front driveline. Graham jumped in and braved the hot oil bath to do the work.

This was lunch time. . .the group:

Then on down Lily Pond trail. There was one drop off that the Reverend carried a tire over. . .but he and I were the only ones that went down that way. No real drama except for the slimy bridges. The big mud hole was deep, but we all crawled it.
Jessy having fun in the back seat:
Graham and Cody loaded some fire wood in the back of Graham's truck and we headed back to camp via Milk Creek to 410 to Little Naches Road.

Once we got back, the fellas showed a little 4wheeler brain power to transport the fire wood.

Nothing like a good camp fire after a long day on the trail.
Tired Wheelers

After a night around the fire and a good sleep next to the river, the group rolled out of bed at about 9:00AM on Father's Day. First order of business was father's day present opening for Poppy and me!!! Among some really cool gifts, I got a 12" dutch oven. Needless to say:
Man-Quiche is SERVED. Not an ounce remained. It was delicious.

Then we packed up the Jeeps and headed up for the trails. Milk Creek Road to Milk Lake:
to Lower Woodpecker. This is a really neat little trail that is GREAT for practicing for the tough stuff. It is pretty tight in some places. We even found a little snow:
The tightest spot:
But the XJ under Scott's control made it through with 1mm to spare:

Graham was not so lucky and had to run back to the main road to bypass the rest of the trail (he's looking for a Jeep/smaller rig as we speak).
Now, here is an interesting story. . .around about 1983, my dad and I helped the forest service lay out Upper Woodpecker. Along the way, we routed the trail between these two trees. The ranger bet my dad a sixer that he could drive through them with the Jeep. Needless to say, Dad enjoyed a few cold Olies that night on the NSF's finest.
Another fact that I remembered about this spot is that this is one of the few places where a bypass was built into a trail from the beginning. The trees are barely 60" apart and we knew that, say, a Bronco, would not fit, so there is an alternate route to the left.
Anyway. . .on accross the Ridge to Funny Rocks.
Scott's new desktop wallpaper (he got owned, but don't tell anybody):
Cody, making it up the same spot. . .but. . well. . .it wasn't pretty. You don't get points for style anyway.
Hey, KIDS> > >get in the Jeeps, let's go to moon rocks!!!!
Ever wonder why they call it Moon Rocks?

It was getting a little late for a Sunday, so we headed back to camp via the 5 finger's climb and Milk Creek Road. I took my hubs out right next to Toby's trailer. . didn't even know it. . .

Back at camp, this is the view from our tent.

and a sign of a good weekend!!!!

Overall, it was the best Father's day ever. . .bar none for me anyway. I got to spend it with my dad, my kids, my family and my friends doing what I love. . .perfect in every way. Thanks to everyone that came along and made this a start to a great tradition!!!!!

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:38 pm

OldGreen wrote:Image

For some reason, that pic cracks me right up...

I vote that we start some sort of quotation contest :lol:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:20 pm

Reverend: Jose, you are going straight to Hell.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:58 pm

Rev does kinda have that look about him, don't he :wink: Good pix, Spanky :!:
Dave

Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon80

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:20 pm

My Dad took the photos. . .I just turn the turny thing and press on the go pedal. . .

GRADESCHOOL

Postby GRADESCHOOL » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:32 pm

Overall, it was the best Father's day ever. . .bar none for me anyway. I got to spend it with my dad, my kids, my family and my friends doing what I love. . .perfect in every way. Thanks to everyone that came along and made this a start to a great tradition!!!!

i have a friend now if your refering to us. But i have to admit this was a great run and thanks to everyone. And funny rocks didnt get me to bad but that is a great picture it will be on the desktop for sure.

I also showed the Rev the pic and he startd craking up.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:21 am

The Dotted line is our GPS track from both days.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:31 pm

this was definatly a fun trip for me, im still amazed i made it there wheeled and home with no problems

thanks for letting me come play in my "big dumb truck"

Return to “Naches”