The Cheese has been Squeezed. . .Naches 7/31, 8/1 2010

Pics and reports of past Naches area runs
OldGreen

The Cheese has been Squeezed. . .Naches 7/31, 8/1 2010

Postby OldGreen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:47 pm

Since I called it, I guess I'll start.

Sadly. . .but not quite so sadly, as it turns out, I didn't drive my own rig on the run. I jumped in the back seat of the Minivan next to G-Man and behind Toby and his buddy to make a day trip of what was a weekend trip for most of the group. I am SURE that they will all chime in. Just to start the report off on the right foot: I had a BLAST on Saturday. G is great company, Toby is a skinner behind the wheel of that ugly monster AND I had a CUPHOLDER!!!! Can you believe that??? JKs aren't all that bad. . .

We met the group at around 9AM on the Little Nach road, relieved ourselves of excess tire pressure and headed up. We regrouped at the top of Elephant Dung to take a head count: 10 rigs. . .uh. . .TobyW, Lee, Oddball, Roman, Sillyputty, Tenikiwon, MatawaJeep, ED (yes, the yellow yota/flatty), Lurch, and Wrench's 4 squirrels of love. There was a wayward CJ5 at the bottom that had to stay right there because of a steering issue. . .but yeah.

On up. . .no issues. That one climb. . .can't remember the name. . .is it Aardvark hill? Anyway, most chose the easy, right hand line, but Toby, Curtis, Lee and Ed made the left side with the big root look easy so Mattawajeep gave it the ol' college try. Talk about trial by fire. . .all he could see was the canopy of trees above his head. Anyway, after two attempts, I gently explained that is was time to back down and take the other line. Good effort!!

On up to Lilypond for Lunch. Lee had the ONLY stuck of the day ON THE STINKING BRIDGE. Nice work buddy.

From there, we ran upper Kaner and hooked a left to mosey on up to Quartz Mountain. WHAT A VIEW!!! A thunderstorm was approaching, but we just skirted it. . .if you squinted, you could see Jesus.

Now, on down the Cle Elum side and back up Tripod flats. We ran into a couple of other groups in various stages of readiness to be on the trail. No issues really until we got to funny/moon. Now, I enjoy watching people make idiots of themselves as much as the next guy. . .but seriously. . .a couple of the people on the rocks need to have their licenses revoked for poor judgment and downright stupidity. Our group made a few lines look easy and knew when to say when on a few others, but some of the others up there just didn't know when to say when. Needless to say, the repair bills are going to hit them right in the wallet: HARD.

Over at Moonrocks, we got to watch Ed play spiderman on the rocks. By this time, we had scoured the entire countryside and decided to head for lower elevations. Back on down the 5 fingers to Milk Lake where we bid fairwell to the rest of the group and headed to Miner's for cheeseburgers. I still wish I was able to swing the whole weekend so I could have taken part in the themed potluck. . .but, again, I'm sure someone will chime in.

To top it all off, G-Man and I watched Bigfoot DVDs all the way home. . .EPIC I tell you. . .EPIC.

I didn't even bring a camdamera, but maybe someone could post some pics?

CopenhagenCowboy

Postby CopenhagenCowboy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:00 pm

sounds like you guys had a great time. im jelous. but next year hopefully ill be ready to hit the mountains with the crew. AND ILL BE 21! so it will be more interesting around the campfire. :lol:
"a road is merely a suggestion" "Your ricers not so fast with a Jeep on it" "When was the last time you got an adrenaline rush at 3mph?" "Jeeps dont leak, they just mark their territory"

mattawajeep

Re: The Cheese has been Squeezed. . .Naches 7/31, 8/1 2010

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Was loads of fun - Great first time out wheeling. The whole lot of you guys are great.

OldGreen wrote:On up. . .no issues. That one climb. . .can't remember the name. . .is it Aardvark hill? Anyway, most chose the easy, right hand line, but Toby, Curtis, Lee and Ed made the left side with the big root look easy so Mattawajeep gave it the ol' college try. Talk about trial by fire. . .all he could see was the canopy of trees above his head. Anyway, after two attempts, I gently explained that is was time to back down and take the other line. Good effort!!

Wish I knew there was another way around that one from the start. I remember thinking oh great, did everyone else really drive up that? :lol:

Got a few pic's though the camera was wigging out, and the camera man (my little brother) was busy holding onto the jeep for dear life.

Here's a few of us gathering at the bottom making final preparations: Tim's bronco, Lee's LJ, my TJ, Wrench's Cherokee, and tenikwon's zuk.

Following Lee right after the big mud hole at the start:

Some nice exciting rocks.....

A place where only ed dare's to tread:

Takin a break:

View about a mile from the top:

Up on quartz - if you look hard you can almost see the mountains:

Following wrench up to the funny rocks - wish we got some pics of the guy digging holes trying to drive forward after blowing his front diff and rear drive line.

And that's about it for my set of pics - I know the rest of you guys got some more interesting ones.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: The Cheese has been Squeezed. . .Naches 7/31, 8/1 2010

Postby iaccocca » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:58 pm

OldGreen wrote:Lee had the ONLY stuck of the day ON THE STINKING BRIDGE. Nice work buddy.

[whisper]I only got stuck on the bridge to give Mattawa bragging rights for pulling a Rubicon out. Oh yeah, and José is kinda my hero.[/whisper]

Jim, your gonna be just sick when the food details are posted up. You called a great run and a great potluck theme.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:21 pm

OldGreen wrote:Mattawa Jeep. . .

Kaner is what we would consider an EASY trail. . .in the summer anyway. It will check your temperature a couple of times, but the biggest thing is that you will have FUN!!

I don’t think you told him which type of thermometer they would be using. :shock: :-)
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:52 pm

iaccocca wrote:I don’t think you told him which type of thermometer they would be using. :shock: :-)

I think I need some corner armor, a better cage, and a custom set of iron underpants to avoid that kind of thing in the future. :lol:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:00 pm

mattawajeep wrote:
iaccocca wrote:I don’t think you told him which type of thermometer they would be using. :shock: :-)

I think I need some corner armor, a better cage, and a custom set of iron underpants to avoid that kind of thing in the future. :lol:

On the plus side, we found out your rear limited slip is set up well...
...if you figure out the iron underpants option and work out the inherent rust kinks, let me know.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:08 pm

iaccocca wrote:On the plus side, we found out your rear limited slip is set up well...
...if you figure out the iron underpants option and work out the inherent rust kinks, let me know.

Yeah, I was quite pleased that it was working so well - I think the rig is perfectly capable of making that hill, the driver just needs some more practice.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:15 am

mattawajeep wrote:
iaccocca wrote:On the plus side, we found out your rear limited slip is set up well...

Yeah, I was quite pleased that it was working so well - I think the rig is perfectly capable of making that hill, the driver just needs some more practice.

You are correct sir. . .but that was not the time or place for additional practice. I was a good spot to change out the seat covers though. . .

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:17 am

That was a blast!

I discovered a little carnage on the way home, though. Several miles down the road, I started to really get annoyed by a growl that seemed to get louder as my speed increased. I pulled over, and discovered this:

You can see the little tab that holds the U-joint in place is broken off. This pic was taken after I placed the U-joint back where it belongs, but when I found it, both bearing caps were shifted over about 1/8" as if someone had beat them over from the other side. Funny thing is, there are no marks or gouges anywhere on the drive shaft or U-joint yoke, so it must have walked over like that under power. Axle wrap, maybe? It DEFINITELY happened during the run, though. I had NO driveline vibration on the way up there.

BTW, I have talked to my wife, and we are thinking about taking the family up again soon. I am thinking maybe Labor Day weekend?
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:30 am

Call it in the member's section. . .if the weather holds out like it is, that would be epic. . .

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:42 am

Here are my pics… Didn’t get too many after Elephant Dung hill :(

Met up with the group, aired down, and chewed on some breakfast burritos…

Elephant Dung Hill…

Gavin showing me how it’s supposed to be done… :lol:

And more Elephant Dung…

Lunch at Lily Pond…

Some views from the top of Quartz…

The group up top…

And all bunched up on the way up Tripod to the Funny Rocks…

Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Dale

toby

Postby Dale » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:54 am

I love the minivan stickers!! :lol:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

The view from behind the khaki hood.

Postby iaccocca » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:05 am

It was another great Peak Putter run; a great run to get new Jeepers actually into the mountains to try some peak putting.
Thanks for posting up Jim, I did not know exactly which trails we were on I was just trying to catch up with some family in a minivan to let them know they were off the main road.
Friday afternoon found me and my guest and co-dawg, Kevin (Big Ford) leaving Benton City with Paul (Wrench) and Dale (Mattawajeep) in tow. If anyone sees a 9 ½ hiking boot along the road it’s mate is looking for it, by the way. Tim (Lurch) caught up with us in Naches as we were topping off the tanks. The favored campsight was ocupado so we roamed until we found an acceptable spot and were setting up about 9:00 PM. José y clan rolled in about 3:30 AM (yes, it is a new record of some sort). Other campers and day trippers arrived Saturday morning.
Famed Elephant Dung Hill seems to hold no drama when dry…
…but it did allow me to continue to break my favorite rule to break, “Don’t follow Ed.â€
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:18 pm

:cry I couldn't gooooo :cry

That is great wheelin country - been there done that but would love to do it again.

Great pic everyone!

It's been a tough summer but I hope to get back to the wheelin soon enough.
Forget your age and live your life!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Danny wrote::cry I couldn't gooooo :cry

That is great wheelin country - been there done that but would love to do it again.

Great pic everyone!

It's been a tough summer but I hope to get back to the wheelin soon enough.

Missed you on this one and at Liberty Danny. Ain't the same without you showing us how to get it done with the 4-banger on the trail and giving us grief in camp. ;-)
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Okay, the picture of Izzy and What's His Name is a keeper 8)
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Sveta
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Sveta » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Grumpy wrote:Okay, the picture of Izzy and What's His Name is a keeper 8)

Tell me about it

Phantom 309

Postby Phantom 309 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 am

Nice pics! I dig any Willy's that has yota axles :thu:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:24 am

That's a yota with a Willys body. . .

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:34 am

OldGreen wrote:That's a yota with a Willys body. . .

Sort of, has a few chevy and Jeep parts thrown at it now too.

I'm also shock that he actually moved upto beadlocks, the paint must not have been working well lately.

Phantom 309

Postby Phantom 309 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:23 pm

OldGreen wrote:That's a yota with a Willys body. . .

Even better.... :diable

426rider

Postby 426rider » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Wrench wrote:
BTW, I have talked to my wife, and we are thinking about taking the family up again soon. I am thinking maybe Labor Day weekend?

Any more info on this? I don't have access to the MO section ( I am not a member...) but am interested on hookin up Labor day weekend if you all are there. I may be running clover springs on Saturday, but not sure yet. Looking for people to camp with.

Great pics, and looks like a great time. Hope to see the RGR guys again soon. On the trail would make it better.

Return to “Naches”