Kaner Flat run, Labor Day weekend

Pics and reports of past Naches area runs
Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Kaner Flat run, Labor Day weekend

Postby Wrench » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Had a good weekend!

I left Friday evening around 4pm. Got a few miles past Benton City, and hit total gridlocked traffic! Evidently there was some kind of "accident" that left a small SUV resembling a Hyundai Tiburon as nothing but a burned-out shell. Took over 30 minutes to cover then next 3 miles up to the accident, and there was plenty of aftermath carnage in between where unsuspecting drivers rear-ended others when they hit the stopped traffic. If I had just left 30 minutes earlier... :roll:

Got up to the camp spot, and of course, it was PACKED. A large group had already taken most of the spot, but we squeezed into some tent areas back in the trees. I unpacked and set up camp, then parked next to the road to wait for my wife (who had never been up there before). She arrived a bit late, as our new GPS lied to her and told her the entrance to 676 was "Kaner Flat Campground". She finally found me and wasnt in the best of moods, so we finished setting up camp and went to bed.

Sorry to the others for not setting up a "sign", things just didnt seem to be working out too well at the time...

We got up Saturday morning and found Oddball had parked in the main parking area at camp. Knocked on the camper door, and he said he had a splitting headache and would catch up with us later on the trail.

We met up with the others at the run meeting location. My Great-uncles Dean and Duane were there with their two Flatfender Willys'. They had 4 rigs total that showed up. We also had 4 rigs, for a total of 8 hitting the trail together. Old Green showed up and saw us off, but he said he was headed the easy way up to the Funny Rocks in his wife's Grand Cherokee.

I dont know the trails that well, but I know we spent some good time on 676, ended up on Shoestring, came over to Funny/Moon rock area, and back down the easy way. I really had a blast on Shoestring! That tight/twisty technical stuff is alot of fun!

No one had any real plans for Sunday, so we all winged it. Roman was headed back to town, and Oddball was gonna hit the trails but had no real plans.

We packed up camp around noon, and spent the rest of the afternoon with a little light wheelin'. I took the family up to the Funny Rocks. It was my wife's first time on the trails, and you should have seen her eyes when I turned off the gravel road onto the trail. She said, "We are NOT going up THAT!". Well, she was a good sport and we made it up there no problem.

At the Funny Rocks, we grilled a few 'dogs and let the kids act like mountain goats on the rocks. After that, we headed back to the main road and headed home.

Had a good time, and didnt break anything!

Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Sounds like you guys had a bunch of fun. Sad I wasn't able to make it up there this time.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:43 pm

The EZ slope crew went back to get oddball out of bed. . .

Then we headed up Milk Creek to the 5 fingers. Oddball took the shortcut and we took the road around through the big washout. No problems at all.

We spent some time at Funny/Moon watching Oddball show the yota kids how it is done (no, really, he made most of them look stupid) and grilled some dogs, climbed some rocks, etc. . .

About 2:30, we parted ways and headed back down Milk Lake. . .Going the other way through the big washout proved to be very challenging for MamaGreen's stock WJ on street tires. . .We managed to raise some eyebrows from a more than a few people and even gave the WJ its first real trail damage (made two little dents in the pinch seam underneath.

From there, we headed over FS19/FS70 all the way to Greenwater on the gravel, found some air in Enumclaw and headed off to our hotel. We spent the weekend playing and school shopping.

This morning, it occurred to me how very much fun it is to be able to wheel in the afternoon, then head out on the town in the evening in the same rig. . .I've really never experienced that. Needless to say, there will be much more to follow with maybe a set of MT type tires in reserve an some rocker protection.

Even though we didn't see the main group after the morning send off, we still managed to have a great time on and off the trail. The "wheelers" at funny/moon are ALWAYS entertaining. For anyone entered in the pool, the yota stuck in the crack was BLACK this time.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:25 am

And the exo-cage yota stuck in the crack on Sunday was white.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:14 am

The tally so far is

2 Black
1 Red
1 Blue
1 White

Out of my last 6 trips up there.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:04 am

OldGreen wrote:This morning, it occurred to me how very much fun it is to be able to wheel in the afternoon, then head out on the town in the evening in the same rig. . .I've really never experienced that. Needless to say, there will be much more to follow with maybe a set of MT type tires in reserve an some rocker protection.

I smell a second Minivan somewhere in the crowd :lol:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:11 am

Don't you know, minivans run on juice boxes and broken dreams.

(Of course I kid, I'm the guy wheeling the shortbus.)
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Return to “Naches”