Peak Putters - Freeze Your Buns Run 2010

Pics and reports of past Naches area runs
OldGreen

Peak Putters - Freeze Your Buns Run 2010

Postby OldGreen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:32 am

There is much more to this story that I will leave to the people that actually made the assault on the hill. . .HOWEVER. . .

My two kids and I made the journey up to Naches in our Excursion and wheeled up with the group to the first big hill climb to set up basecamp.

There was a fire, a sled hill, camp kitchen and much fun. In fact, I think that the group spent almost as much time at basecamp as they did on the hill. Videos are rendering now. Some are an epic success. . .and others are a giant FAIL.

FYE

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPAkdI7MVOE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kFzHkbVxGI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0U_nhEQGU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUzP7S379O0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OabL9rdqjo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54W8d425PI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYH4tle92g[/youtube]

Optiskate

Postby Optiskate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:58 am

Looks like a lot of fun. Makes me want to invest in a sled. :D

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:47 am

Holy crap! We need to find a sled hill on the x-mas tree run!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Seriously!!! Other than a few minor injuries, the sledding was Epic!!!

We made Carne Tacos, fresh coffee, brats, dogs....somebody even brought a pie!! The natives were nice enough to leave us a pile of wood.

sledding hill at the tree run is a MUST!!

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:31 pm

My sister and I headed up Friday evening but had to head back after the run on Saturday so I can't report on Man-Quiche but the trip was awesome.

Heading up to camp:

Getting lost and trying to find Long Meadow Campground on the map at crow creek (don't bother looking, its not there :lol: ). We did find camp and met up with Lee, Don & his dad.

Home frigid home:

Some bun freezing the morning after:

Airing down and removing cargo rack in prep for the run:

Gawking at the stuck trailer trying to make it around the corner into camp:

Tim preparing to break ground on the first hill climb & most excellent sledding hill:

A look down the hill after making it up (those already up top made a few comments about the screams coming from my passenger seat).

The green YJ making its way up (sorry, I didn't catch any names):

Everyone crowded up on top waiting for Toby to make an attempt in the bronco:

Some scenery on the trail:

Lee testing out his rocker panels on a tree:

After the tree we headed back out onto the road as the snow was getting deep:

Don breaking trail (it was getting really bad at this point). My BFG AT's were doing pretty good so I tried going on ahead to catch Tim, but pretty soon I was just spinning tires. I think we were about a mile from the top when we turned around (Tim was running low on ATF at this point, as too much was wasted starting the fire at base camp. :lol: )

Weather was great until we decided to head back, it started snowing pretty good. Here's everyone working on getting turned around:

It did clear up though and we were able to make a nice safe trip home, I expect it was the same for the guys headed back to tri-cities:

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:08 pm

The sled hill was nothing short of amazing!! Base camp was a wonderful place to hang out, and the food we all cooked was top notch. Oh, and the wheeling wasn't so bad either... :lol:

Heading out:

OG rockin' the X:

Base camp:

Rob winching his rig sideways to line the trac bar bolt back up:

The story of the second half of Tim's day:

In cab shot to show that the EB heater, while admittedly weak, is actually semi-effective at keeping fresh snow/sleet at bay. This will hopefully prove to my better half that it ain't so bad...

Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Redbull(Ranger)

Postby Redbull(Ranger) » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:49 pm

looks like alot of fun.
WATCH OUT!

Optiskate

Postby Optiskate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Next year I will make it or die trying... looks like too much fun to miss... again.

LiftedZuki

Postby LiftedZuki » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:42 pm

Optiskate wrote:Next year I will make it or die trying... looks like too much fun to miss... again.

x2 :twisted:

David448

Postby David448 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:05 am

David in the Green YJ here. Thanks for the awesome time guys, and also thanks for teaching me that in deep snow, 5 psi in the tires with a setup like mine is still too much.

Here's a few pics I took.

"Toboggin" ? ... video:

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc25 ... I_2055.mp4

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:48 am

Sure you only got video of me being denied. :oops: I think it was the 4th try when I made it. TNX for posting up.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/david448/Naches_11-10/?action=view&current=MVI_2035.mp4
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

David448

Postby David448 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:23 pm

I actually did include that video in my post above, but I couldn't get it to load, so I removed it from my post.

When I posted it, I did add that you did make it and that I was sorry for not getting video of that part :D

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 pm

David448 wrote:I actually did include that video in my post above, but I couldn't get it to load, so I removed it from my post.

When I posted it, I did add that you did make it and that I was sorry for not getting video of that part :D

Nobody ever gets the shots when I make it. Search and all you'll find of me are my Jeep stuck in the mud, in the snow... I'm not always stuck. :lol:
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

The Official Run Report.

Postby iaccocca » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted up so far, especially the awesome sledding videos. I trust you got some video of Jeeps and Broncos, oh Bronco, going up that hill also and are just waiting to post them. (Sorry Toby.) :twisted:
4:30ish Friday found me rolling into Whistlin’ Jack in my Rubicon where Don had already met up with his dad, Roger. We rolled from there to Long Meadow Camp Ground, hoping to find Dale (Mattawa) waiting for us. Don was in his tow pig with CJ in tow, Roger had his dually diesel with all important camper, none of us had firewood or a chain saw. While I was setting up casa de Leon, Don and his dad went in search of firewood and Dale. Unfortunately they found little of one and none of the other.
Around 7:00 PM Dale and his sister Danielle (please offer up corrections on any names, trying my best here) rolled into camp and began to set up their tent and foraged for firewood. Dinner was shared around a small, pretty fire that refused to offer up as much heat as smoke.
9:00 AM found us breakfasted and our Jeeps aired down and our motors running. 10:00ish, Rob’s (Lud’s) Jeep raced into camp… Rob likes the skinny pedal. He informed us the daytrippers were piled up behind Tim’s (Lurch’s) tow-rig Bronco combo that was stuck at the infamous corner. (Sorry, I did not know that was the infamous corner when I called the run.) Bronco off of the trailer, and Tim was rolling with just a little more drama.

After a bit, wheeling rigs were off of trailers, tires were aired down and we were meandering up Ravens Roost looking for Jim (OG) who had headed out in search of the ultimate sledding hill. The decision was made to bypass the lower part of Ravens Roost trail and to enter the trail on a hill climb section, AKA the perfect sledding hill. Tim took a few runs and was up it in three. Four tries and my Rubicon was up. Don clawed up impressing his dad with his Jeep. Soon Dale was up making look too easy. Toby gave it the ole’ college try in his EB, but proved to us open / open wasn’t going to cut it on this hill. His friend David (David448) completed his air pressure science experiment by doing it with quite a bit less than the 5lbs of air in his tires that he first thought would work for his built YJ. Somewhere in this mix Rob broke his front JKS trackbar which put him under his TJ for much of the day.

Those who had crested the hill proceeded on the trail while the sledders started a fire and began a day of BBQing and sledding at base camp. At the bottom of a steepish hill we came across a tree across the road. Tim, Don, and I were already at the bottom and radioed for the rest of the crew to hold up. The tree proved to be less ominous than it initially looked and soon we were across it, but it took some time to regain radio contact with the group above. Turns out Dale had some t-case linkage issue and it took some time to remedy it. Once the 5 of us were at the bottom of the hill we looked at our watches, realized it was lunchtime, Ravens Roost road was a short 20 yards away, and the base camp had a fire and a BBQ grill… you do the math.
After enjoying lunch and standing around offering Rob advice and a few tools, we were back off to the trail.
About this time, Toby proceeded solo up the road where he was breaking trail in his Bronco. I think it is safe to say that for the next bit we found the trail fun, but not overly challenging. That is probably why I got a little sloppy and got stuck on a tree that I should have made it over. (I might have been tuning my sat radio, but you will never prove it.) Anyways, I got to try out my fancy new winch in dash switches. While I was recovering the Rubicon we could hear Tim wailing on his Bronco trying to make a hill climb that was never going to happen… that probably spelled the beginning of the end.

We turned around and proceeded towards Ravens Roost on the snow covered road. We were joined at this point by Toby who had gone as far as he could. We stopped to let Tim’s Bronco cool, but unfortunately when we proceeded we were able to follow Tim by the trail of ATF coming from his tranny. We enjoyed plowing through the snow for awhile, but as Tim’s Bronco drank more and more ATF, the decision was made to turn around.

It is unclear that we would have made the summit as the going was getting slow, and we had not even arrived at the steeper hill climb the road offered. No 2nd guessing, but we probably made the turn around decision too late. At a couple of cool down stops Tim begged every drop of ATF the group had as it kept leaking from the front pump seal.
Soon, as I was following Tim, the trail of fluid in the snow kept getting fainter and fainter. Next time he stopped he waved me around and I won the straw pull to pull him back to base camp and then on down the hill.
Pulling a heavy, built, EB on four flat tires was not uneventful. For awhile I thought Tim had no power steering. One of his trips into the ditch had Tim pretty much convinced he was going to roll, but as I looked at the shower of snow in my rearview mirror and noted that I was still moving I just kept putting coal to the 4.0. Tim’s next trip in to the ditch was a bit much for the Rubicon and it bounced me backwards on the Master-Pull Super-Yanker we were using. [Hey RGR, need an endorsement for your sponsor. I was pulling as hard as I dare (harder sometimes) and I’m sure that Master-Pull Super-Yanker saved me doing any damage to my LJ, even when Tim was trying to get me stuck.] To get Tim out of this ditch we used Tim’s winch to my Jeep and then I tugged and tugged locked/locked on the tow rope just to get Tim into the intersection so we could go down the road. Once back at base camp (we should always have a base camp, OG I’m putting you in charge of this) we aired up Tim’s flat rubber and the rest of the trip was much easier.
Soon the day trippers and sledders were loaded up and heading out along with Dale and his sister leaving Don, Roger and I to enjoy a dinner of Lasagna and steak (really) around a small campfire. Roger turned in, followed a bit later by Don while I tried to dry my feet before rolling into my tent. I learned Don is allergic to Man Quiche (eggs actually) so in the morning we enjoyed pancakes provided by Roger instead of using the Dutch oven Tim had provided us. We were rolling out of camp by 10:00 AM.
Another great Freeze Your Buns Run that only would have been made better if more people could have joined in the fun. We will see what next year holds, but I’m already doing some brain storming.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Lee - EXCELLENT comentary, per usual. I can always count on your witty content to get me through one of "those" afternoons here at work. :lol: :lol:

David448

Postby David448 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:18 pm

Yep agreed, I lol'ed at the 'tire pressure science experiment'. So true.

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:24 pm

Next year I hope to get further than the trailhead. :roll:

Anyway I was able to get the trackbar good enough to get home and the threaded end I need will only cost me 40 bucks. 60 with a new bushing.

Some other things I found were a johnny joint that may need to be rebuilt on the top end and a crappy tapered bolt design I'd like to change. I also need to change out some other bolts which needed vice grips to come off.
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:28 am

Rob,

I would suggest a couple things here:

1.) The damage to the male threads of your trac bar are probably mimicked on the female side as well, at least to some degree. IMO, you are better off replaceing the entire assembly...

2.) As you mentioned and as I witnessed when you were clamoring around looking for tools, you seem to have some oddball hardware under there. Take a good inventory of what bolted connections you have, standardize as much as possible, and then only use tools from your trail kit to swap them out. If you don't have the proper tools in your trail kit, add them. That way you'll be sure to have what you need should a trail repair be necessary. And if you're successful at standardizing your hardware, you should be able to keep your trail kit small and tidy. :wink:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:05 am

tobyw wrote:Rob,

2.) As you mentioned and as I witnessed when you were clamoring around looking for tools, you seem to have some oddball hardware under there. Take a good inventory of what bolted connections you have, standardize as much as possible, and then only use tools from your trail kit to swap them out. If you don't have the proper tools in your trail kit, add them. That way you'll be sure to have what you need should a trail repair be necessary. And if you're successful at standardizing your hardware, you should be able to keep your trail kit small and tidy. :wink:

After getting bit by this, we've started doing this for the race truck. The hardware has always been standardized since we got it, but we try to pack all of the tools that we use for prep in the on-board tool bag. The exception is air tool usage. . .but we still do the same sockets. . .

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:02 am

Yep. Back when I was cool and wheeled a flatty, I carried a 4-way, a 1/2" end wrench, a 9/16" end wrench, a BFH, a double ended screwdriver, and a pair of pliers. There wasn't a single thing that could not be removed/replaced with those 6 tools... LOL

Oh, and some duct tape and bailing wire for when I felt lazy :roll:

David448

Postby David448 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:59 am

You fix your trailer wiring yet Toby?

Our jerry rig fix worked so well, you'd prolly be good to go for a year with it like that :D

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm lucky to have unloaded at this point, so no trailer repairs as of yet... And you're right, with the amount of tape we used, it'll be good until next FYBR at least :lol:

Return to “Naches”