GTFO Trip 7-17-11

Pics and reports of past Naches area runs
tobyw

GTFO Trip 7-17-11

Postby tobyw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 am

Got a day off work and decided we needed to GTFO. Jim (and family) and Danny were available, so we made the best of it. We met up at my place shortly before 8am, and headed West. Our basic plan was to get to the Funny Rocks for lunch, and watch the ever-present Toyotard entertainement while stuffing our faces…

Heading up FS-1701:

Lori was watching the soccer game most of the morning and early afternoon:

Danny had some driveshaft issues early on. Actually not issues, apparently he plans this effort :lol: :

The kids took the opportunity to stretch their legs a bit and break out some toys:

Taking in the breathtaking view of scrub brush:

Already worn out:

After several miles of FS-1701, we came to the 4W670 trailhead and decided to air down a touch to smooth out the bumps:

More play time for the kiddos:

As we headed 4W670 we merged onto 4W694, and we saw some interesting tree formations:

We crept our way through the trees toward the Manastash Lake overlook:

Lunch was calling, so we headed for the rocks. Much to our dismay, our planned entertainment was nowhere to be found. Jimmy stepped in to take up the slack:

Danny’s turn to come down:

We set up shop and went to town cooking our lunch. Cheese-filled dawgs and carne asada!!

The kids headed for the rocks to play:

After sufficient food was applied, and like a ray of light shining down from above, the entertainment arrived!! Shocking as it was, not a Toyotard to be found. But, there was this thing as a suitable fill-in:

And this guy brought the real deal entertainment value:

Danny couldn’t stand it any longer, so he bailed in and started showing them how it’s done. Until he got high-centered and nearly had a bad day :shock: :

I went up and lent a hand (actually just a winch anchor):

After some more rooting around on the rocks, we packed up and headed back down. Instead of backtracking, we took 4W698 back down to 4W670 and eventually back to FS-1701:

Somewhere along the way, Jimmy snagged his exhaust system and needed a quick trail repair to get going again:

We aired up at Hwy 410 and headed for home. It was a great day, and we are already planning another GTFO trip! 8)
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 am

Toby. . .thanks for inviting us. We had a really good time. The new Minivan worked really well and I was even impressed with my wifey's car.

Now. . .there's a picture missing I think. . .hmmmmmm. . .what was it?

OH yeah. . .the Owen's Meat Market Cheese Frank Blowout pic:

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks Jimmy, that was a perfect final touch to a great day.

But there was one thing that no one got a picture of and that was the look on Lori's face most of the day riding shotty. It would have broken any camera....not to mention the person on the other side of the lense. After all, Jimmy was wheeln her DD.
Forget your age and live your life!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:28 am

Nice run report and I love the concept. Boat Race weekend would be a perfect opportunity for as GTFO run. :idea:
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:11 am

Danny wrote:Thanks Jimmy, that was a perfect final touch to a great day.

But there was one thing that no one got a picture of and that was the look on Lori's face most of the day riding shotty. It would have broken any camera....not to mention the person on the other side of the lense. After all, Jimmy was wheeln her DD.

She actually liked the tight technical parts, but the rocks and that drop-off into the mud were a bit much because of the daily driver aspect. The W is just a set of rocker guards and tires away from being a luxo-wheeler. . .

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:33 am

OldGreen wrote:The W is just a set of rocker guards and tires away from being a luxo-wheeler. . .

White trash

Postby White trash » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:38 am

Expecting yotard entertainment but ya got grandcherocar entertainment instead. :lol: Why didn't one (or all) of you guys go show them how its done? The crack is EASY if you just line up straight and keep your driver side tires on the crack all the way up the left side rock. :wink:

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 pm

The guys with the fancy rigs didn't want to try it of course, and I wasn't too keen on it either. But, there YJ that was there couldn't make the bump on the right side of the hill. Tried several times and was bouncing all over the place, so Jimmy says, "go show them how it's done Danny." Now I've listened to Jimmy before and it's cost me. But I've never had a problem with that little blip in the rocks so I fired er up and hopped up there as sweet as you please and then turn around and went down it. When I pulled up the guys said his YJ was too heavy. I sai BS, that doesn't have anything to do with it....they packed up and left.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:51 pm

White trash wrote:Expecting yotard entertainment but ya got grandcherocar entertainment instead. :lol: Why didn't one (or all) of you guys go show them how its done?

The dude in the 4 runner did disappoint :cry: The two Jeeps made it worth watching, but the little "car" was the icing on the cake.

I had no desire or motive to take my wife's car up that line. It was just an entertaining place to eat lunch and let the kids scamper around on the rocks. We only saw that group (4 rigs), one quad and two motorcycles for the 2+ hours we were there.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:35 am

Found a few more pictures on the memory stick last night.

Danny working his way up the easy line on the rocks:

A couple more of Jimmy sneaking Lori’s DD through the trees on 4W698:

And more of Danny’s little debacle:

And the Minivan v2.0 heading down the easy line:

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Looks like a blast. What does GTFO stand for?[/code]
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:16 pm

""And more of Danny’s little debacle:""

Toby, I should have gone around and run that again. I didn't cut left quick enough...next time.

So who was wheeling the camera in the pits?

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 pm

Mrs. W gets the photo credits.

Return to “Naches”