No Name Run 10-02-11

Pics and reports of past Naches area runs
tobyw

No Name Run 10-02-11

Postby tobyw » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:07 am

There is just something right about getting home and pulling manifold-warmed carne asada out of your teeth, and plucking mud out of your kid’s hair…

After meeting up at my place around 7am we headed to Long Meadow to dump Dave’s YJ off the trailer. Dave was running solo, Jim was accompanied by Will and Jessie in their newly finished XJ, I had Gavin and Aubrey with me in the Minivan v2.0.

Arriving at Long Meadow, we ran into the Putters warily stirring about. We all caught up briefly on the Saturday run over the Naches trail, and talked about options for the day. After airing down and enjoying some manifold breakfast burritos, we headed for 4W676. Jim lead the way, letting Dave and I enjoy the dust he kicked up. His XJ performed flawlessly, and we all made steady progress up to Lily Pond for lunch.

After lunch (manifold carne asada burritos), we headed further up 4W676 to the Quartz Mtn. intersection, and headed up toward the Quartz Mtn. lookout.

Roughly 2 miles from the top of Quartz, we stopped for a break and the sky opened up.

Since the view was non-existent, we decided to just turn back and headed back down to Lily Pond, and then took the fire roads back to Long Meadow to pick up Dave’s tow rig. It was a great day and I hope to be back much sooner than later!
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:13 am

Yes. . .that's exactly what happened.

Sounds like the official run went off without a hitch too. Can't wait for the photos of that:

I'll have more and a video even, but the wifi connection at the Denver Airport leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not complaining though because I actually FLEW here. . .yep. . .through the air on some sort of contraption called an "airplane". Seriously, how can you go wheelin' on Sunday in WA and then have breakfast in Colorado????

When's the next run????

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:30 am

Cool!

I didnt know it was you guys at the time, but we passed each other just as I was heading home Sunday morning.

We hit most the same trails on Saturday. Halfway down the shoestring, we had to turn around due to a REALLY nice JK (with all the bells and whistles) blocking the trail because his steering gearbox broke off the frame rail. :shock:

In fact, there seemed to be quite a few guys up there this weekend that had really nice looking rigs (with evidently alot of money dumped into them) that were broken on the trail. And most of them looked like they never touched a wrench in their lives.

On another note, that hole near the tree root on Aardvark Hill certainly has gotten bigger than last year!
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

David448

Postby David448 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:58 am

I had a great time. Big thanks to Toby and Jim.

Jim suprised the hell outta me in that XJ. That guy knows how to wheel.

Not sure who it was that I passed on the freeway heading home Sunday night just after Yakima... Nicely built Jeep and a motor home. Just wanted to give a virtual wave now because my trucks windows are pretty dark and I'm not sure he saw me wave back.

Here are some of my pics.

Image[/img]

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:01 pm

David448 wrote:
Not sure who it was that I passed on the freeway heading home Sunday night just after Yakima... Nicely built Jeep and a motor home. Just wanted to give a virtual wave now because my trucks windows are pretty dark and I'm not sure he saw me wave back.

That was us on the slow cruise home. Yep, I saw the wave back through the window tint. :D Nice to meet you, and very nice Jeep. I took a couple of pics of it while you were in camp.

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

David448

Postby David448 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:42 pm

Are you the one I talked to about the axle straps Dave? For some reason I was thinking the motor home I passed was different than the one I parked next to. It was a long day :D

Thanks for the pics!

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Couple questions:
1. What are the specs. on David's Jeep, mostly springs and tire size.
2. How did Bob's YJ do? Did he ever run out of power or have any drive ablity problems?

Edit: Never mind 2, the problem was found.
Last edited by bobracing on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

David448

Postby David448 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:53 pm

The springs are all Rubicon Express. They were the ones that are meant for a spring over, and I think they are 4.5" ... which was way too much. I had to remove a leaf, rebuild the mounts, and work the crap out of them to get my Jeep down to the right level.

The tires are 37" X 14.5" Toyo's on 10" Allied beadlocks. I'll probably be putting the wheels and tires up for sale soon, once I know I won't be wheelin for a while (winter).

Here are most of the main specs, copied over from my newbie introduction thread a while back.

'93 YJ Sahara, came stock with 4.0 and Torque Flight auto tranny.
Swapped in 4sp/OD, AW4 auto tranny from an XJ
Flipped, twin sticked, 4:1, 32sp F/R output Dana 300 TC
EB D44, 5.13's, ARB, all Superior Alloy shafts, CTM joints, Poison Spyder tru Hi-Steer
EB 9" 3rd with F150 Discs, Spydertrax 9" housing, 5.13's, ARB, Moser chromo's
High Angle 1350 rear drive shaft with 1 Ton flange
Rubicon Express springs and shocks
Full custom cage, bumpers, and belly
37" Toyo's and beadlocks

Few other small things like custom stereo, engine mods, exhaust etc.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Couple more comments:

1. Toby's breakfast/lunch burritos are fantastic.

Ok. . .one comment.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:16 am

Vidjo:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9H1cvNfEvA[/youtube]

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:36 am

Video comes up as 'Private'. No workie for me.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:27 am

Fixed. 8)

Optiskate

Postby Optiskate » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:18 pm

Where was that video taken?

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Upper Kaner just before the intersection with the other side of the ridge and Quartz. . .

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Guys, I'm having a ball on my final outing of the year....kick'n back on the Or. coast eating lots of sea food and golfing - but I have to say I am truly home sick for a good run. Guess it will have to wait till next spring. Depending on how he hip turns out I may seek a seat with someone on the FYBR....pending spouse and Dr. approval
Forget your age and live your life!

Return to “Naches”