Run Report for the 4th of July Run to Liberty -- 2010

Pics and reports of past Liberty runs
SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:07 am

Curtis staked camp for us on Thursday. Throughout Friday, the rest of the group showed up. Attending were the families of Curtis, Steve, and Lee as well as candidate Jeff and guest Ed and Karen. Camping conditions were great for tenters and RVers a like. We had cool temperatures, no bugs, no rain, big camp fires, lots of food, and great conversations. It short, it was a very good weekend.

We left camp promptly at 0900 hours on Saturday to run trails 319, 316, 339, and 332. Trail conditions were about perfect for a relaxing trip. On 319 we found a little mud and slow moving mosquitoes. On 316, we found tight spots and deep patches of snow, on 339 and 332 we found steep gnarly hills. No carnage, however Steve poked a hole in a sidewall of one of his new MTRs and Lee pushed in a front fender. Curtis promptly repaired both rigs.

On Sunday, the Peak Putters attended the 4th of July festivities at Liberty. Lee and family joined the parade. We all took turns at the gold panning exhibit and found gold in every pan… even some pickers and wire strands. We finished the day with a firewood run up 321. Curtis and Steve let their sons, Brian and Dion drive the trails. Perhaps this was the tensest part of the weekend.

Monday morning we all pulled out of camp shortly after breakfast.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:55 am

Good report Steve. Liberty = Goodtimes. At the end of Saturday Jeff and Lee split from the group and made a valient attempt at 334. We were warned that there might be mud, and mud there was. I took an attempt at a mud hole and soon found that it was deeper than I thought. :oops: Mud was my undoing of the weekend. This is the Jeep after Jeff helped me extract it...

I was trying to make it to camp before my wife and the girls, so at this point we turned around and enjoyed 334 going the other way.

I have very few pics (having lost my camera at home) so I am hoping those with cameras post up soon. I know Jeff is hoping for some wheeling pics to brag on. Brave man wheeling a hardtopped LJ at Liberty, but he knew how to get it done.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:42 am

Little cut and paste and fixed it for you Lee.

iaccocca wrote:Hey WT, tell Peanut I need another TW sticker. Mine fell off while mudbogging in a meadow this weekend.

For the greenies lurking that is a joke. But I do need a new TW sticker.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:50 am

Jeff (Getzpayd) and I left town @ 3:30 ish Friday heading up to Liberty. We got to the campground and found the camp site that Curtis had secured. We were soon joined by Steve and Curtis who I think were returning from Cle Elum. We did not have the campground all to ourselves, but it was surprisingly vacant considering the holiday weekend. After a bit Ed and Karen rolled in and camped nearby. Steve, Dolly, Dion, Curtis, Shari, Brian, Lee, Jeff, Ed and Karen grilled and enjoyed the fire and decided to roll out at 9:00 AM.
9 sharp :thu: found us rolling and getting very little dust or skeeteres in our teeth. We found a mud hole on 319 that probably would have been less dramatic to cross if I could listen to my spotters. :oops: A little carnage for my troubles that Curtis pretty much had repaired before I could snap a pic. We moved at a pretty good pace and soon found ourselves at Stair Step. I led Jeff to the bypass and after a few attempts by yours truly discovered that must be a downhill by pass, because making that uphill would make you more of a hero than the Stair Step. 8-) The stock LJ and the less than stock LJ did the stair step with no drama.
Lunch out of the rigs followed and then Ed led us to a tight trail. This is the reason that I am willing to constantly break my ‘Don’t follow Ed rule.’ [He is a great Liberty guide.] Our travels found great trails, a few challenges, snow on the 4th of July weekend!!!!!, unbelievable views, and good times. Some of the trails seemed a bit much for a stock rig, but Jeff got it done in his (wife’s) Rubicon. Is it still the wife’s or are you gonna’ buy her a mall crawler so you can have this all to yourself? :thu:
I managed to get to camp minutes before my wife and other two Jeeper chicks arrived.

Dolly was painting their nails red, white and blue almost before they were out of the car. Dolly has two new friends for life. A great night of grilling and camping was followed by 4th of July in Liberty in the morning. If you are cheesy enough to enjoy a Norman Rockwell painting Liberty is the place to enjoy the 4th. (I am.) Panning for gold, hands on history lessons, cherry pit spitting contests, tater sack races (my Jeeper chicks cheat, but they win), an entire town potluck with burgers and dogs, and a bunch of muddy Jeeps in a parade with the fire trucks. :thu: :thu: :thu:

After our Americana festivities a firewood run was good times. On Pit Over Look Trail with Dads Richards in the co-dawg seats they were suddenly very concerned about their sons learning proper tire placement. (The view from the passenger side of the vehicle is a very dramatic very close 2,000 foot drop.) My backseat driver, Millie, was also very interested in the relationship of the Jeep to the edge of the narrow road.
Sunday night found us grilling and making ice cream around the campfire.

The Richards families should be proud of their boys… no not proud Curtis and Steve, proud of Dion and Brian. They are great guys to have around camp and on the trail. (Okay Curtis and Steve and their wives are also great to have around camp.) Ed and Karen are always a compliment around the campfire. Even if Millie did not like the wheelin’, my girls and Chris had a great time camping with the group. Our candidate Jeff can be trusted to bring great deer jerky and was good at showing us how to get it done with a stock rig on the trails. This was a great weekend and another reminder why I am happy to be a Putter.

Last edited by iaccocca on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:56 am

bobracing wrote:Little cut and paste and fixed it for you Lee.

iaccocca wrote:Hey WT, tell Peanut I need another TW sticker. Mine fell off while mudbogging in a meadow this weekend.

For the greenies lurking that is a joke. But I do need a new TW sticker.

Trying to get me in trouble?

N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:13 am

Nope, just jealous that you were in the mountains over the weekend.
and the fact I just can't get into drawing this "conical octa-poleâ€

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:25 am

[quote="bobracing"]Nope, just jealous that you were in the mountains over the weekend.
and the fact I just can't get into drawing this "conical octa-poleâ€
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:30 am

BTT... okay I saw some peeps with cameras. Time to get some pics up. :-)
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Curtis had a camera. It would be great if he could learn to post pictures on the site.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Well, be a good brother and help him out :)
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

oddball
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby oddball » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:36 am

oddball
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby oddball » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:44 am

Well those are my picks, mostly taken by my son. He seemed to really like Lees jeep. If you notice the red cups in the hands of the parade watchers, there was a residence that had a Bloody Mary stand set up with all the garnishes for a donation.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:53 pm

oddball wrote:Well those are my picks, mostly taken by my son. He seemed to really like Lees jeep. If you notice the red cups in the hands of the parade watchers, there was a residence that had a Bloody Mary stand set up with all the garnishes for a donation.

These are the best wheeling pics ever (and that's a nice pic of Steve's Toy too.) :twisted:
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Return to “Liberty”