Peak Putters - Ahtanum June 13, 2009

Pics and reports of past Ahtanum runs
Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Peak Putters - Ahtanum June 13, 2009

Postby Danny » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:01 pm

An excellent run for those of you that didn't make it. Commando 14 called this run and then forgot his camera....glad I had mine. RoyBoy took a few photos too. I guess Dave can put them up for him.

So, it was just the three of us. I got to the snow park 8:45 and waited. At about 9:10 I was beginning to think I was going to be stood up....another run with the person calling it not showing up. So I head over to the new map they have posted to get a lay of the land. About 9:15 here they come and I'm releaved cause I was planing on going out there myself. Now sence in wasting the trip, right.

After Dave and Roy get unloaded we head up toward Darlin Mt. by way of Treephones. Clay and his group were up there getting ready to do their wood cutting thing. On the way up the road...several miles up....Dave will have to tell you exactly where....he has a blow out....his little coolent diaphragm thing for his inclosed system. It blew at about the same place it happened last time. We decided to call it blowout hill.

After installing another diaphragm...camera came out late

Of course now we need more water and what better place to get it then dirty gutter water

We proceed to Darlin but before we get there I have a problem with my front hydrolic actuator so I'm not locked up in front and the snow is very wet and tough to wheel in. So, after trouble shooting the thing a couple times, on and off, Dave shows me a trick to keep it locked. I now have a whole new outlook on lugnuts. We took the acutator appart and inserted the lugnut to keep the fork slid over where it should be to keep it locked. Worked like a dream the whole trip. No pictures of this tril repair because I was under the jeep doing the work.

Finally, up on Darlin Mt.

Yup, you guess it. Those are storm clouds back there and it was raining pretty good on top. Since it was thundering and lightning we decided to get off the Mt. Before the day was done we also ran into 1/4" hail.

So we proceed down the trail on our way to Blue Lake. A lot of the roads we were on were mounded with snow like this, making for some interesting going and a lot of side hill crab walking.

On the way to Blue Lake Dave found this little river under the snow. He was down to the frame but was able to back himself out.

Not to be outdone while Dave is negotiating his obsticle Roy was dealing with his own...sideways down hill between two trees. I didn't get it all on film but in true RoyBoy fashion he got it out.

Finally we arrive at beautiful Blue Lake....and yes Laura....there really is a Blue Lake.

All along the trail we saw all this pink snow. Now I've seen lots of yellow snow and know enough not to eat it, but never pink snow. Anyone know why?

From Blue Lake we head up to the cabin. Just a picture of the jeeps up here.

As usual the scenery was beautiful even with the heavy weather. Here's a picture from the cabin. This is a picture of Goat Roaks.

From here we headed down the trail back to the Snow Park and home...back in the garage by 8:30.
Forget your age and live your life!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:27 pm

Looks like a trip I wish I had not missed.

Res pink snow:

Turns out pink snow is caused by an algae called chlamydomonas nivalis, which sounds like something you might have treated at the local public health clinic after a weekend of partying. There are actually more than 350 kinds of algae that survive in very cold temperatures. These algae can turn the snow black, brown or yellow (disregarding for the moment the obvious cause of yellow snow), too. Chlamydomonas nivalis tends to flourish when the weather warms up a little after the darkest, coldest part of winter. It starts out green, then turns pink or reddish as the weather brightens. The cells have a gelatinous sheath that protect them from the strong ultraviolet radiation at high altitudes, and this sheath is what produces the pink color.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks for the snow tip Lee. I'll never eat snow again! :deg
Forget your age and live your life!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:58 am

Danny wrote:Thanks for the snow tip Lee. I'll never eat snow again! :deg

Run with your top off and half / no doors, and sometimes it just happens. Image
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Great pics Danny, thanks for posting them up. The run was a great day. The jb weld patch on my coolant bottle blew out right before reaching Eagles Nest, which is the same place it blew out last year. Luckily I had a spare so swapped it out and added some creek water and was good to go. When we hit the snow Danny soon realized he only had three wheels turning... the vacuum disconnect on the front wasn't working. We ended up adding a lugnut on the shift fork shaft to hold it in the engaged position.

We found the sign on top of Darland fell down... must have been some strong winds to bust the weld and bend like that.

There was a pretty good washout in the road on the north fork:

Enjoyed our lunch at Blue Lake:

Heading up to the cabin:

Looking down at the secret Green Lake:

It was a great time.. the snow is melting quick so it's about time for Rimrock now :lol:

oddball
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby oddball » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Dave when you referred to having a spare I assume you were talking about the penny.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:48 pm

oddball wrote:Dave when you referred to having a spare I assume you were talking about the penny.

:haha

Actually had a spare bottle, been carrying one because I figured that penny would blow off one of these days. But that penny and jb weld patch held up for a whole years worth of runs. Think I'll patch it back up for another spare.

Phantom 309

Postby Phantom 309 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:45 am

Great pics! I love it up there as much when its storming as when it's sunny (unless I'm broke down.) It's pretty surreal watching the clouds roll in through the Goat Rocks.

The climb outta Blue Lake looks like it was a blast!

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:27 am

Great pics! Looks like a good time.

colemancooler

Postby colemancooler » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 am

what material is the Place that needs patched made of? I can braze it closed if it is copper:?: Then you will have no problems
shindig wheelers #36

Return to “Ahtanum State Forest / Tampico”