Peak Putters - FYBR 2009 - aka Jimmy's Winch Fest

Pics and reports of past Ahtanum runs
tobyw

Peak Putters - FYBR 2009 - aka Jimmy's Winch Fest

Postby tobyw » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:00 pm

I’ll let someone else write it up, but here are a few of my pics from the trip..

Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:13 pm

OK OK OK. . .I got a little stuck a long ways from a winch point. . .

The comedy that ensued was priceless. Rich broke an axle, Chris broke a hub, and Tim broke his winch. . .oh yeah. . .I lost the battery so I couldn't really winch myownself.

Here's the story: It was a dark and stormy night. . .wait. . .wrong story.

We had Tim, Chris (Yoter and Timmay's guest (should put in papers. . .kewl dude)), Dale/Dad, TJDave, Rich/Laura, Lee, and our fearless leader in the Tobicon. . .We headed up from the snow park at about 9ish AM and were at 6500' by 10:30. We stopped to sled and Lee stopped to get stuck. The sledding was epic (video? later). Anywho, Tim pulled Lee's valve cores and we were back underway. Determined to summit Darland Mountain, we slipped, slid and skipped along the ridge of the superbowl. Just before the last hill, I missed the line and, contrary to what most would consider a "good idea" I kept on going backwards, because, well, backwards is NOT stuck. Then, well, I fell in a well and got STUCK. . .maybe 100 yards from the nearest firm anchor. After proving, beyond a doubt that upwards travel was not possible, Chris drove down anyway to give me a jumpstart (refer to the aforementioned dead battery). This, of course, left both of us nearly hopelessly stuck and now with a broken hub). So. . .we started winching up using Timmy (also stuck) as an anchor, pretty soon, we found ourselves disconnected from the cables and not really knowing what was going on. . .so. . .we hooked our rigs together with a winch cable AND jumper cables (between the batteries) and made a little forward progress with my winch to a big tree. . .but. . .one winch was not enough.

Meanwhile, back on top, Rich broke an axle u-joint rendering him a 3 wheeler. We were starting to gather a rather large audience of snowmobilers (they seemed to think we were kinda nuts :)). Finally, Toby's winch plus Tim's winch got us to the top. Right at the top, Tim's winch made a fatal "POP". Yeah. . nice.

So, it was now dusk. Toby graciously offered for my kids to ride in the Tobicon (functioning heater and all) down to camp. Well, that and I didn't want to use my headlights so I was flying blind (kind of fun really).

Back at camp, the group disbanded except for Tim, Lee, Chris/Chris' GF, and me/kiddos. Dutch ovens and BBQs made us some excellent chow, the drunk kid from the next camp over made for great entertainment, and the day's events made sleep come easily despite the sub-freezing temps.

This morning, we dined on the finest man quiche (turkey and steak. . .mmmmmm). So as to not temp fate, my clan packed up and headed for home at the same time as the rest of the group headed back for the hills. . .so, I'm guessing this story's not over.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:11 pm

great pics, looks like another wonderful time. def plenty of sneig (ruski snow)

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:29 pm

Looks like another epic run, but then what else would you expect with OG along. :lol:
Forget your age and live your life!

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:58 pm

Here is some pics that I took. I started off following OG. That lasted about.........maybe 15 seconds! :shock: Big thanks to Rich & Laura for pulling me up the hill. :oops:

My Jeep did pretty crappy with the little tires, open diffs, and giant snow shovel hanging under it. Then, Tim stole my valve stems and I could not believe the difference.....lots better, but still not good enough.
I still had a blast though. Especially coming back down. :D
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Looks like you guys had a blast. I spent the last week in Illinois helping my parent remodel their new house, lol.

I did, however, decide enough was enough with my expensive open diff old style (RD30) front ARB and have ordered a new Dana 30 RD100 to go up front. Don't want to miss out on the next snow trip. :lol:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 am

Sorry, not a lot of pics, but here is what I have. When I reached the Sno-park Saturday morning I found Chris with his water pump-less ‘yota waiting for Tim to return from town with the proper pump. Soon, the rest of the group arrived and we pulled out. We made good time for a bit, but TJDave and I, concerned about Tim and Chris knowing where we were at held back a bit by traveling deeper in the snow than the rest of the group. Rich and Laura came back to encourage us to keep up the group, going so far as to pull Dave’s TJ up the hill. We were successful and soon Tim and Chris caught up with us. We would have made better time, but I was forced to push both Chris and Tim up the hill on the front of my winch cable.
Frustrated by the speed his Bronco was making at the front of my winch cable, Tim offered me a nickel apiece for my valve stems (sucker, I got spares.) I took him up on it, and soon his Bronco was able to go up the hill without my winch cable pushing it. Tim offered to put the air back in my tires, but I told him he could have the nickels back if he did not.
After a short while we came across TJDave where he had left the rest of the group progressing ahead. There was a described ‘nasty’ sidehill ahead. Tim and Chris tackled it with no drama so I decided to follow them to meet up with the rest of the group. I went about two Jeep lengths on the sidehill before my Jeep “fell off of the mountain.â€
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Nice pics and reports.

I wish I would have know you guys were going to be at the Sno-park and I would have stopped by. We were wheelin' Sedge Ridge Saturday and could have dropped down though Sno-park instead of going out South Fork.

Return to “Ahtanum State Forest / Tampico”