99's Ahtanum Run (April 7th, 2007)

Pics and reports of past Ahtanum runs
Beep Beep

99's Ahtanum Run (April 7th, 2007)

Postby Beep Beep » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:47 pm

I post this report since you guys have a run up at the Ahtanum this next weekend.
----------------------------
99 (my wife) wanted to go to Tree Phone for a drive. Tiny came a long with us. Test Dummy rode shot gun with him. Near Slavin Road the Tweety Jeep started smoking. We found out we had ATF coming out the filler tupe. We had a sharp bend in one of the tranny cooler lines and thought that could be the problem so we by passed the bend. We made it to the church in Tampico before she started smoking again. We added more ATF and let the rig run awhile and all was fine. As we were checking out the Tweety Jeep, Krazy Gimp was passing by and stopped. He said he would run up to the Ahtanum with us. The Tweety Jeep started smoking again on the way up. I just slowed down and she stopped smoking.

At the Sno-park we dropped into low range thinking that it would be less work on the tranny. That seem to be the fix. Trail Rated, not road worthy.

The road was clear up to Tree Phones. At Tree Phone the snow was deep. I tryed to drive around the camp ground loop and got stuck.

Here is the camp site we had on Labor Day 2006.

Monster at the picnic table and Bubz is standing over the fire pit.

Leaving Tree Phones after Krazy Gimp and I both got stuck. Tiny likes using his winch.

We ran up the Whites Ridge Crest Trail and hit snow right above the Whites Ridge Loop Trail.

We made it up to the steepest climb on the Whites Ridge Crest Trail.

Krazy Gimp had to get going so we turn a round and headed down the ridge.

We tried to take the Whites Ridge Loop trail on the north face but the snow was deep. We didn't have enough day night to winch so we turned around. Krazy Gimp got stuck climbing back out.

Tiny's winch was pulling him down the hill as he was winching Krazy Gimp. We used the Tweety Jeep to keep him from being pulled down the hill.

We headed to Sno-park and met up with IF and Build-not-bot. We sat around their camp fire as Test Dummy ran home for the Truck and Trailer. That gave us some time to visit so it worked out good. Everyone thinks the Tranny vent tube is plugged up on the Tweety Jeep. We will check that out this week.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:53 pm

Two more pics to add that may screw up the Darland run.

This sign is posted on the Mid fork at Tree Phones.

I will call the DNR tomorrow to see if this is just left over from the logging road closer they had from December 15, 2006 to March 1.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:37 pm

Yes, please post that up. . .other than that, the conditions look perfect for the run at the summit.

If we have to we can run up the north fork to the summit. . .

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:01 am

I just got off the phone with Vanessa Seldal the DNR Recreation Manager for the Ahtanum and she said the DNR doesn't want any one driving up the posted closed roads until they dry. They will take down the signs when we can drive on up those roads. :(

She said feel free to call her if you have any questions.

Vanessa Seldal
vanessa.seldal@wadnr.gov
509-925-8510

Return to “Ahtanum State Forest / Tampico”