EWA Ahtanum Sledding/Snow Wheeling Run - Jan 29 2012

Pics and reports of past Ahtanum runs
Beep Beep

EWA Ahtanum Sledding/Snow Wheeling Run - Jan 29 2012

Postby Beep Beep » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Sledding/Snow Wheeling Run at the Ahtanum State Forest
Report & photos by Clay Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures

Ahtanum State Forest Photo by Clay Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures

On Sunday January 29th, 2012 we had a redo of our annual sledding run at the Ahtanum State Forest for the Eastern Washington Adventures members since the one is December did not work out.

Around 10 AM we met up at the Highland Quick Stop in Cowiche and convoyed to the parking area at the end of the pavement on Cowiche Mill Road to air down. We headed up the gravel part of Cowiche Mill Road, turn on C-1000 and went up on Cowiche Ridge. The snow was just perfect for snow wheeling.

We had a few hill climbs Victor's Bronco could not make. The group helped Victor get through the tougher sections. I broke trail until the drifts got deep. I made a mess out of the snow on one climb around a bend since I only have a rear locker the caused the rig to crab walk. I hit one tree and broke off my passenger side taillight again. Once everyone was through that part, BlindPilot took the lead pulling Victors Bronco. BlindPilot pulled Victor's Bronco a a long way breaking trail up hill. I have to say, BlindPilot's rig with the Bronco in tow still out did mine. I think BlindPilot's rig runs on Pixie Dust.

The ones that wanted to sled did in the areas we had to do recovery. The main two times was the first climb Victor's rig had trouble and then another rig had problems on top of the Hogback.

Near dark after getting everyone off of the Strobach Mountain 4x4 Trail, we headed out with BlindPilot leading the way. We dropped down Nasty Creek and aired up at the corrals.

This was a very fun day snow wheeling and sledding thanks to who came.

See full report with 100 photos and 2 videos at: Ahtanum Sledding/Snow Wheeling Run - Jan 29 2012

:)

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Looks like a blast, can't wait to get up there in the snow.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:18 pm

commando14 wrote:Looks like a blast, can't wait to get up there in the snow.
Great traction on this run (other than Victor). It was like spring snow wheeling. Just a week before it was deep powder and my low rider would have not went too far.

Return to “Ahtanum State Forest / Tampico”