Peak Putters - Cowiche Snow Run 2012

Pics and reports of past Ahtanum runs
Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Peak Putters - Cowiche Snow Run 2012

Postby Danny » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 am

Well, I'm ready to upload stuff so will give a brief synopsis of the day and post up my pics. I'll leave the "Official Report" to Dave.

The day started out very windy. I was worried that my little 2.5 would have to make the trip in 4th, but to my surprise the wind down some after Prosser and the little YJ that could made the trip the rest of the way up there in 5th!!!

Besides me there was Rich, Roy, Dave and JKLance in his shinny new JK. We wondered about that. He did pretty well until we started getting to uncharted territory. After Rich pulled him out 3 or 4 times in 50ft. he decided to turn around and head out. Hats off for is efforts and giving it a try. :hi

After stopping for fuel in West Yakima we met the Yakima contingency, Clay, Terry (Blind Pilot) and Rod. From the parking lot on Cowiche Road we headed up the mountain. New snow made it a little difficult at time...like wheeling in flower. We all had our share of getting pulled or winched out during the day. There was a lot of trail blazing. Dave and Rich took on a share of that. Roy took a turn as well.

The weather wasn't too bad. Snowed on us most of the day and the wind kicked up later in the afternoon. By the time we got down to the main road it had thawed out quite a bit and was nothing short of pure mud. Didn't get any pictures of them but we couldn't see out of our side windows. I HATE MUD!!

On the way up. This was pure mud on the way out.

This where Lance ran into trouble. Here Rod was having a hard time. I drive around him while he was being winched out.

A cluster....which way from here???

Time to air down....again.

Lunch.

Dave having to work it, doing it the hard way. He's original route was about 50' to the right of where he is here. He's all snowy because he'd just backed through a big tree.

End of the trail. Dave and Rich spent about 30 min. getting about 100 yds. I believe Dave was stuck here.......

.....while we wait. We called it a day and headed back.

Rod headed out.

As usual the scenery was breath taking.

After Rich and Dave make a few runs at this hill Dave decided to do it the hard way.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpMpkL4fN7w&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

The decision to leave is made.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cduucV3pxKM&feature=g-upl&context=G28552bdAUAAAAAAAAAA[/youtube]
Forget your age and live your life!

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:52 am

Nice pics and vids Danny! The pic of the sun is cool, I noticed that on our way out and almost stopped to take a pic.

On Saturday 2-18-12 we headed up to find some deep snow. In attendance was Rich, Danny, JK Lance, my dad, and me. Also we met up Terry, Clay, and Rod from EWA at the parking lot on Cowiche Mill Rd around 9am. It was a good day of snow wheeling, thanks to all who came along!

We gained a few pounds of air once we got higher so we stopped to air down more:

JK Lance didn't have the clearance for the deeper snow and was getting high centered. He got a few pulls out and then headed back down the hill.

Rich making a full throttle attempt at the hog back, I tried it too but reached the top and let off the gas too soon and slid into the same hole that Rich was in.. I ended up backing down the side of the hog back.. it was a little harry :shock:

My dad started to make his way around the hog back. Eventually we all followed him around.

The snow started to get really deep at this point and we were moving real slow, it was snowing pretty good too so we decided to turn around and head back down. Terry, Clay, and Rod went up another trail to find more snow, the rest of us headed back down to the parking lot to load up the rigs for the long drive back to tri-cities.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Nice pics Dave. Too bad we didn't get any shots of the muddy rigs in the parking lot.

RUBIKRAWLER

Cowiche Snow Run

Postby RUBIKRAWLER » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Great reports guys. Big thanks from all us wishwe'dagones. That hogback was Ornery lookin'! Tackling that run without a winch probably kept your Dad's wheeling skills sharp; and it looks like he didn't miss a thing.

Anyone up at the top waitin' to check your Discover Passes?

rjjff

Postby rjjff » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Great pictures and videos Guys, Thanks to everyone for making this another great day of snow wheelin.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Nice work men!!!

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Great report. Wish I could of made that one.

Man, David your camera takes some awesome pictures. So clear and detailed. 8) 8)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: Cowiche Snow Run

Postby commando14 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm

RUBIKRAWLER wrote:Great reports guys. Big thanks from all us wishwe'dagones. That hogback was Ornery lookin'! Tackling that run without a winch probably kept your Dad's wheeling skills sharp; and it looks like he didn't miss a thing.

Anyone up at the top waitin' to check your Discover Passes?

Hey John I was hoping we weren't leaving you behind when we left the gas station. Nobody up there to check our Discover passes but we did come across a couple that were wheeling in a Razr, I didn't see them but I think my dad and Danny helped pull them out. They'd probably still be up there buried if we hadn't come along.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:06 pm

I wish I could have gone, but my son and I were committed to a day of slave labor for a buddy on Saturday... Curtis slaved along side us. His son Brian got of it by having all 4 of his wisdom teeth pulled by some hack on Friday. Brian still looked very rough on Sunday.

Dave, the quality of your pictures is very good. You and your camera are dialed in.

Oh yea, burrrr
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Livin4Today

Cowiche Snow Run!

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:35 am

This was a really awesome day from my seat! I took a (somesay shiny newer) JKU up into them snowbound hills as a club newbie catching my first "run" (I'd have like to have been at the Slab run, but I was busy having a HEART ATTACK!).

Needless to say for a low bellied stock rig, I did well fair. When your machine works against ya, it's a little tough to fight back, God knows I tried (Thanks to Rich, for pulling me to a place I could get enough traction to overcome the drag) after bellying out numerous times, I decided I had better let the big dogs run and head back down the mountain. Thanks for your patience. WE're hoping to get them bellies lifted a bit by month's end so it's a waiting game.

On my way home I detoured over to Slab seeking out "Flex Canyon" I'm still not sure if I found it or not but did run down every canyon I could find NE of the parking area, before heading the rest of the way home, unsure but disappointed in the ease of with which I traversed those I found.

I finally got home about 6 pm tired but smiling.
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:31 am

Lance, way to go. You didn't beat us home by much. I rolled in about 7:30. At least the day wasn't a total waste. I'm sure you'll have that set up to run with "the big dogs", ya right, LOL, soon enough.

benw

Postby benw » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:38 am

Looks like a ton of fun, great pics and vids.

Beep Beep

Cowiche Ridge Snow Wheeling with the Peak Putters

Postby Beep Beep » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:19 pm

Cowiche Ridge Snow Wheeling with the Peak Putters
Report & photos by Clay Graham / Eastern Washington Adventures

On Saturday February 18th, 2012 I met BlindPilot and Joker at Highland Quick Stop for breakfast and fuel. Around 8:40 AM we headed out to meet up with the Peak Putters at the parking area at the end of the pavement on Cowiche Mill Road. I rode along with BlindPilot in his TJ.

Once we meet with the Peak Putters at the Cowiche Mill Parking area and were aired down, we headed up the gravel part of Cowiche Mill Road. Then we turned on C-1000 and went up on Cowiche Ridge. A few miles up around the private lots the snow got deep and became a challenge. It was time to let more air out. The stock JK turned around and headed back.

We moved on up the ridge stopping here and there when someone got stuck. At the Strobach Mountain 4x4 Trailhead we stopped for lunch.

After lunch we headed up the Strobach Mountain 4x4 Trail. At the Hogback a few rigs tried to make it over. Roy broke trail around the Hogback. Command14 got crossed up on top of the Hogback and had to back down the side of it. Once he was down, we all headed around where Roy broke trail. It was a challenge to get around the Hogback since it was off camber.

On up the Strobach Mountain 4x4 Trail the snow got deeper. The hill right before where the trail gets tight in the trees, stopped us from going any farther. A few tried but were denied.

We headed back down Cowiche Ridge. Right before dropping off the ridge, we took a break and added air to the tires.

We dropped on down and parted ways from the Peak Putters at Cowiche Mill Road. With BlindPilot and Joker's TJs, we headed up Cowiche Mill Road and turned up Doggone Road. At the Y we headed toward the East. The wind started blowing snow real hard so we decided to turn around. As we came back down the wind had already blew enough snow to cover our tire tracks.

We headed out and aired up back at the Cowiche Parking area. After air BlindPilot dropped me off at Highland Quick Stop so I could get my rig.

This was a very fun time. Thank you Peak Putters for the invite. Thank you BlindPilot for the ride.

Here are some pictures of the day:

Airing down at parking area at the end of the paved part of Cowiche Mill Road.

Commando14 missed the turn.

Turning on C-1000

On up on Cowiche Ridge.

Up near the private sections the snow got deep.

Most let out more air.

Joker

Just a weird tree. The landmark of where the snow usually gets deep.

Roy pushing on.

A lot of rigs getting stuck right here.

Commando14

Joker getting pulled out.

Danny

BlindPilot after helping Joker.

Roy waiting for us to catch up.

[video=youtube_share;QpQfLVoiZB0]http://youtu.be/QpQfLVoiZB0[/video]

I got out to help find the trail. Got a few photos before getting back in BlindPilot's TJ.

A nice ride breaking trail.

Regrouping in the middle of the last long climb.

Joker needing a little help.

Dropping off near the end of Cowiche Ridge Road.

Lunch at the Cattle Guard before hitting the Strobach Mountain 4x4 Trail.

On up the Strobach Mountain 4x4 Trail at the Hogback. Some played on the Hogback and Roy broke trail around.

Commando14 having some trouble on the Hogback.

Commando14 backs off the side of the Hogback.

Commando14 made it into Roy's tracks and then we all headed around the Hogback.
Joker had to winch off BlindPilot's rig to get through.

The group waiting for us on top of the next climb.

Moving up the Strobach Mountain 4x4 Trail.

Wow the snow got deeper.

[video=youtube_share;dt8ymyuBHPQ]http://youtu.be/dt8ymyuBHPQ[/video]

No one could make it up the climb so we turned around and headed back the way we came.

There was a Side-by-side that showed up and then was gone.

Going around the Hogback.

Heading up the last drop on Cowiche Ridge Road.

At the switchback before dropping off Cowiche Ridge some added air to thier tires.

We dropped on down and parted ways from the [url="http://www.peakputters.com/"]Peak Putters[/url] at Cowiche Mill Road.
With BlindPilot and Joker's TJs, we headed up Cowiche Mill Road and turned up Doggone Road.

At the Y we headed toward the East. The wind started blowing snow real hard so we decided to turn around.

[video=youtube_share;XMylAequtAY]http://youtu.be/XMylAequtAY[/video]

As we came back down the wind had already blew enough snow to cover our tire tracks.

We headed out and aired up back at the Cowiche Parking area.

After air BlindPilot dropped me off at [url="https://www.facebook.com/HighlandQuickStop"]Highland Quick Stop[/url] so I could get my rig.

This was a very fun time. Thank you Peak Putters for the invite. Thank you BlindPilot for the ride.

Return to “Ahtanum State Forest / Tampico”