Peak Putters -In Search of snow 2-Darland Mt (11-14-12)

Pics and reports of past Ahtanum runs
Livin4Today

Peak Putters -In Search of snow 2-Darland Mt (11-14-12)

Postby Livin4Today » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Great SNOW day! We made it up the North fork, although it was slickery! Took a few pics and vids, I hope you'll enjoy. No breakage, with the exception of severing the wires to my lighted rear license plate frame, lots of snow and good fun, thanks to 80_Yoda (EWA - aka aaron_ml here) for the company!

Report, in a format similar to others I've seen here.

We met up with Aaron at the Tampico Fire Station around 10:30 and pressed on the the Campground at White Ridges Trailhead. There we unloaded Aaron's rig and aired down Julia (my JK), made the essential potty breaks an started our run in the rain and mud.

We chose to ascend the North Fork, as we had already taken the Middle Fork up the previous week. We were in luck, because just as we turned onto the North Fork, some other campers/hunters/ATVer's were clearing a fallen tree that blocked the road, otherwise we would have had to take the other route again.

We rambled on up the NF passing Grey Rock still in rain and mud, but soon found a rain snow mix about 30-45 mins on up the trail. Not too much farther we were in a snow covered bliss and the rain turned to all snow. Shortly after this we began having some real fun as it got a little snotty, and unbeknownst to us Aaron had yet to drop his tire pressure from 35 to about 8 lbs (later dropping to like 5 or 4 - Not enuf weight to keep going).

Julia was tracking fine with her standard 8 lbs, only slipping in a few spots, the trick seemed to be don't stop, as the earlier snow had been rained on before this storm dropped a good 8-12 inches of the white powder.

We had a couple of tough spots but made the full climb ensuring we had "daylight" pictures of the sign at the summit. While there we noted that the person who did the routing of the sign, apparently made a spelling error (See the pics) before getting it right.

We then decided to head down the other side, not but maybe 800 or so yards off the top Julia did her lefty nod and I was in a snow bank, but Aaron was able to yank her out. This is where we first crossed paths with Benw's (Off Camber guys) crew of 3 rigs, and let them presson ahead of us.

Running on memory (and following my trusty GPS) we attempted to find the same trail we had come up on the week before and essentially got on the wrong path, it was REALLY foggy up there. Ironically, we were following the trail left by Benw's (Off Camber) crew and eventually found them again, stuck pretty good.

Once they got out we foolishly tried to go further, but Julia again got belly up in the white stuff, lucky for us she did, because as we walked further along we found the trail ended in a scary looking decent in deep snow drifts. So after squaring Julia away we back trailed until we found the other trail leading out the Middle Fork.

On the way down, just above what I guess to be Blue Lake we noticed some tracks jutting off the trail and although we initially passed them up, couldn't resist the urge to check it out, which put us in some sort of meadow that we snow catted around in finding a warming or hunters shack, but couldn't quite get up to it, and decided to find our trail again. Like kids in fresh snow we were determined to find it the old fashioned (Boy Scout) way. During a little turn around maneuver, I introduced my new tire carrier (and apparently my rear license plate) to some trees I failed to notice behind us, and Aaron retrieved the now downed plate I hadn't realized I'd lost, and we were back on track.

The GPS showed that the road was just ahead of us so we found a way through the forest into a campground, and back out on the road. Ms. Mandi feeling brave decided she would like a shot at leading Julia down the snowy trail, so I conceded allowing her to take us back to the Trailhead where Aaron loaded his Yoda and we aired up walked Syler who was by now quite skiddish from bouncing around in the back of Julia.

All in all it was an AWESOME day snow wheelin' we made the trip in about 5 hours including all the playtime and were back home about 6:30 pm enjoying a good dinner and watching thie videos and pics on the big screen we'll now share with you. But be forewarned, you're gonna wish you had come along! Pics & Vids to follow...
Last edited by Livin4Today on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:25 pm

The videos...

I put these together in 5 parts, each about 15 or so minutes each of raw footage. When I have the time I'll delve into all of these annd try to put together a smaller version of the day that includes the photos and the best parts of the videos for those of us with shorter attention spans....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vtK5LmHlq0&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUdVnG88w6k&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqoAzt0vJjc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99UvJztutOI&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o74l8OOPmqM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Pics coming soon! Gotta run to the store for eggs first...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Photos too!

An OMG moment! Aaron, got a lil' squirly around a corner and nearly slid off the trail... The only time my winch was pulled!

After Aaron was freed, we had another moment, thinking he was going again, but he got the yoda squared up and going...

At the Top, it only took two hours to get here!

Lance and the FURRocious co-dawg Syler (yeah right)! Then Ms. Mandi attempting to get a dog to pose...

Julia (the JK) doing her left nose down trick (AGAIN)! This was just before running into or rather blocking the Off Camber guys...

After being pulled free we head down the Middle Fork and into the fog! Yeah, I, oops, we were having too much fun!

Our second meeting with the Off Camber guys... They were stuck and stuck...

Ooops, one hub gone on the Blue yoda... My work is done, back to Julia. The driver stated, 40" tires are just too much for his yoda buggy...

A quick open view, then the clouds closed in around us, and Julia did the tickle my belly thing, right where the blue yoda buggy was buried... Yeah, I knew better, but Aaron yanked me out. I think we're at 3 to 2 mine to his...

And we're outta here! ENJOY!
Lance

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Looked like a good time. Wish I could have made it but I was busy getting the eb ready for fybr next weekend.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Looks like a ball. An early Darland Mountain loop run you say. On my list for next year.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Return to “Ahtanum State Forest / Tampico”