Peak Putters - Camp Schamp /Darland Mountain (4/11-13 2014)

Pics and reports of past Ahtanum runs
OldGreen

Peak Putters - Camp Schamp /Darland Mountain (4/11-13 2014)

Postby OldGreen » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 am

This space reserved for Dave's run report. In the meantime, here is a pic to keep it real...

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:41 am

In an unusual turn of events, I didn't take a single photo all weekend. But, we were there, it was great, and Marc's man quiche did NOT disappoint. Nor did Dale's jalapeno poppers... Muther of gawd...
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:35 pm

Great times, we had a lot of rigs and beautiful weather all weekend. Andrew and I came rolling into camp around 2:30pm on Friday to find my dad there with new 37" IROKs on his Jeep.. I was a little jealous.

I believe we had 15 rigs on Saturday:
Jim
Mark
Toby
Lance & Mandi
Mike & Iulia
Andrew & Heather
Roy
Myself and Kristen
Danny in the gecko
Jose and Sveta
Chris
Ed
Paul
Steve
Curtis

Everyone decided to head up the Mid Fork on Saturday. It was a bumpy ride on the hard packed snow all the way to the top. One of the easiest and fastest trips to the top ever. On the way up my dad had a tire come off both beads while playing on a drift.. took us awhile to get it reseated back on the rim.. that was the only issue we had on the way up.

We then headed back down the north fork and made our way towards Blue Lake. The snow started to get a little slick going through the trees. This is where Steve smacked a tree pretty hard in the Toyota. He tried speed to get through a slippery side hill section of the trail but it didn't work out so well.. I turned my head for just a second and missed it but the crunching sounded like a bad car crash. We hooked up winches on both ends and got Steve out of the tree well.

I was towards the back of the pack but we heard that my dad and Ed had made it to the lake.. most everyone was turning around and heading back down. Meanwhile I heard Jim was blasting his own trail through the trees trying to reach the lake and lost a tire... I was struggling on a section of trail so someone said go the way Jim went because it might be easier.. so I followed Jim's path.. but i don't think it was any easier :-). Jim and I eventually made it to the lake for a poser picture.

On Sunday I think we had 8 rigs, including Dale who showed up to camp. We decided to head up JackAss. But we reached a bad sidehill drift section of the trail. There wasn't any way around it so we decided to shovel a trail straight down the face of the drift. My dad was the first to go down so we attached a strap and had several guys pulling to help slow him down a bit and to keep the rear tires on the ground just in-case he picked up too much speed. It worked out pretty well although I don't know if us pulling on the strap actually helped at all. Once we made it past the drift we then had to navigate up the slippery sidehill.. this took hours since we kept sliding off the road. Also we had a group of side by sides come up behind us.. one of them slide all the way off the road. His winch cable was stuck so we helped him get winched back on the trail. Eventually we all made it past the side hills.. but by this time it was pretty late already so we headed back down.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:46 am

David, that was excellent. Glad you guys had a great day on Sunday as well.

I have a "side story" about the trip to Blue Lake.

After we got off of the top and through the bobsled ride chute (I almost killed myself at the exit, but no pics/harm/foul), I pulled over so Roy could show the way to Blue Lake.

Well, the interesting thing about the "trail" to Blue Lake is that it isn't exactly easy to see or drive on. . .10' of snow and all. . .but we did a decent job right up until the spot that David alluded to earlier. After being repeatedly denied, I pulled over to ponder going back down the hill, but. . .well. . .that isn't really my style.

Ed, with his lighter weight, bigger tires, and lower gears was able to clear the spot but it just wouldn't let me in. . .so, I messed around helping some others get unstuck and hiking out into the trees looking for another solution. I found what I thought was the intersecting Green Dot trail and then pointed O in that direction. As it turns out, it was a viable solution, but I missed missing a tree well by about 1'. Sadly, the driver's rear made contact and unceremoniously left the rim. front and back beads and wedged against a tree.

I jumped out to assess the damage and made a very ominous realization. I was completely alone and in a spot that only a couple of the rigs in the group could reasonably drive to. . .and I had no idea where they were.

On the CB, Toby let me know that the rest of the group had gone down the hill but that Ed was still near me. . .but he wasn't as I had just caught a flash of Yellow through the trees headed down the hill. I asked Toby to come back for me if I wasn't in camp by dark.

Step 1: Find a suitable tree to winch O out of the hole and onto flattish snow. Harbor Freight 6k winch w/my brand spankin' new Masterpull 1/4" line to the rescue. Turns out that 100' was a good idea. I'll leave a little detail out here, but the equipment worked perfectly and O was now level-ish.

Step 2: I hate HiLift Jacks and refuse to carry one. I do, however, carry a few flat boards and a little bottle jack. After some shoveling, I was able to place the jack on the board and get the weight off of the tire. At about that moment, Danny and Marc came walking up the hill wondering WTF was going on. They were immediately put to work helping remove the tire. Shovel a path, etc. We used an old fashioned star lug wrench to remove the lugnuts and got the tire on the ground.

Step 3: Reseat the bead. For those that have never done this on the trail with both beads off, the most important part is the least obvious. Lean the tire against a stump, the back bumper, or a friend and kick the crap out of the rim until the inner bead is wedged in and touching at 360*. you won't be able to seat it but you should be able to get it started. Then, flip the tire over, lean it against the same object (Danny in this case) and use your handy high volume compressor to apply air while gently pushing the outside of the rim against the outer bead. Gently so you don't unseat the inner. When we did this, the tire began to seat almost instantly but refused to go the last "pop" for a while. Since it was holding some air, we knew it was just a matter of time and a few blows with a dead blow hammer. I have an automatic circuit breaker inline with my compressor to keep it alive so we had to let it cycle a few times but eventually the satisfying "pop" happened. Roy walked up at about that same time.

Step 4: I was still stuck. . .so, we finished winching me out of the hole, Marc pointed me in the right direction and like the fool I am. . .

I pointed O back up the hill and drove to Blue Lake for a couple of pics:

My point: Even if Danny and Marc hadn't come along, the story would have played out exactly the same. All of the tools I needed were on board. . .and I knew how to use them.

Safety is no joke. Preparation is everything. Part of that is experience. It isn't a bad idea to practice seating a bead in your driveway using only the tools on your Jeep. Jack, Board, Lug wrench, and compressor. No excuse for no compressor. 25% off and a high volume Harbor Freight unit is all you need to seat a bead.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:15 am

X2 on the right tools and knowing how to use them. I also carry a tire plug kit (not applicable here) and a full size spare is also your friend... at least once. Although, I understand, not practical for everyone. And, just add a sleeping bag for worst case scenario.

I'd love to know the specs on your HF compressor. I wonder how my Viair would compare. My Chinese compressor (now replaced by the Viair) wouldn't even put a doughnut spare back on the bead (tried to help out a rail at Juniper once.)
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 am

1.35 CFM at 0psi. I've seated 31s, 33s, 285/75r16, and now 35s with it.

Ditto on the tire plug kit and spare.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 am

Quote of the Weekend:

Danny: I don't know why those guys are having so much trouble.

Toby: Danny, you are having just as much trouble as they are, if not more. . .you just know how to deal with it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For those keeping score, Danny's 100% stock, showroom fresh 2013 Rubicon made the rest of us feel like we might be compensating for something.

#tacklebox
#oldguysrule
#kermitthejeep
@Danny

Boyscout

Postby Boyscout » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:00 pm

#tacklebox
#oldguysrule
#kermitthejeep
@Danny
Marc

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE Convertible SUV 2.5L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:50 pm

The highlight of the weekend. . .Danny drives off the road for no good reason. :lol:

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Iulia and I had fun too. Didn't take many photos but a good time was had by all.

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:58 am

Quote of Weekend 2nd place finish:

Toby: Hey look, it's Elvis

Danny / Jim: WHERE?!

Had to be there, but it was fantastic :lol:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:28 am

David and Kristen took many good pictures. Here are a few fare photos that I took.

Roy in his way to the Mini-Bowl

Hanging out below Darland Mt.

Michael below Blue Lake

Curtis below Blue Lake scoping out the path and trees that I will soon encounter.

Andrew and Kristen checking out a big dummy pinned to a tree

Bear Bomb on Jackass Ridge

David setting the path on Jackass Ridge

Big black destroyer of "the line" :P

Big black destroyer of "the line" continued :P

Mandi at the helm coming back off of Jackass Ridge

Dale on Jackass Ridge

David on Jackass Ridge

Andrew on Jackass Ridge

Steve's extra fender... only one more left in reserve :(
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:17 am

Extra Fender? Are you sure you aren't a Jeep guy??

:lol:

Julia kills the lines. . .I think I know her. :lol:

Awesome stuff there!!!

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:55 pm

If that's Lance, then who is driving??? :D

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:01 pm

We have more pictures.... and hours of video to edit.....
Lance will post as soon as we get through it all....

It was a GREAT weekend!!! Had fun with everyone!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:25 pm

:lol2 Destroyer of the line! I've been that guy... just ask Don.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:11 am

Yeah, we might have killed a few lines... :banghead

But it keeps the lil' guys off our tail... :thu2:

Mandi took a boat load of pics and I'm in the midst of editing hours of video down to a suitable limit, just mini parts... I'm jumping from iMovie to the the big gun Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, big learning curve but I like the looks so far, this round will be clipped raw video, might do the music thing later, it's quite tasking on both my Mac and me.

For now we hope you enjoy the stills... 8)

Wait there's more still...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:30 am

More pics from Mandi...

Who Knew Steve Was a Tree Hugger?

I didn't crush that line!

Back at Camp...

Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 am

Sunday's Pics...

Lance

Livin4Today

Wideos!

Postby Livin4Today » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:13 am

And The Videos Cometh!!!

Apologies to mobil users, Due to third party blah blah, these may not be available on your device. Hope you enjoy!

Saturday

Part 1

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5DW2AlKljo[/youtube]

Part 2

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK1CnT29TKo[/youtube]

Part 3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAyo_0haM3A[/youtube]

Now on to editing film taken Sunday...
Lance

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:41 pm

HOLY CRAP. . .I haven't laughed so hard at work in a LONG time. Part 2 above.

For those of you that heard me say it around the campfire, I almost died on Saturday. . .or at least got really injured. I made a less than humble line choice at a high rate of speed. Had I prerun that section, I probably would have done the exact same thing but, without the benefit of knowing exactly what was going to happen, I was off camber and airborne for just long enough to have to change my shorts, scare my dog, and yell YIPPEEEEEEEEE

As to the armchair quarterbackery. . .You are absolutely correct in stating that I don't care about the body and that I know what my Jeep will do. The other side of the coin that you didn't mention but were probably thinking and/or saying is that I am absolutely out of my effing mind. That is correct. :lol:
Just tryin' to have fun. I love to put the "sport" in our motorsport. . . :lol:

As I type that, I have to thank my friends and my Saint of a wife for tolerating me. :lol:

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 pm

[ I am absolutely out of my effing mind.]
LOL, YES YOU ARE...

BUT I AM GETTING MY OWN XJ......
:D

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:32 pm

And with Part 2, Mandi talked her way into Lance diving off the 2nd jeep cliff! :twisted:

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Roman wrote:And with Part 2, Mandi talked her way into Lance diving off the 2nd jeep cliff! :twisted:

Welcome to the family!

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Jimmy.....Ditto. LMAO.....and that was before I saw your following post.
Forget your age and live your life!

Return to “Ahtanum State Forest / Tampico”