Peak Putters - Darland Mt. "Camp Schamp" Run - Apr

Pics and reports of past Ahtanum runs
SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Peak Putters - Darland Mt. "Camp Schamp" Run - Apr

Postby SPR » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:31 pm

Roy called the annual Camp Schamp run to Darla Mt. The weather was sunny, cool, and calm. Most of us are sporting coon eyes and serious red noses by Saturday afternoon. There was plenty of snow -- some soft and some hard. Big tires were the ticket if you strayed from the pack. We ran Darla Mt loop on Saturday and up towards Ewe Neck on Sunday. There were a couple of stuck fests, only minor trail breakage, no near death experiences, and a good group dinner. Everyone seemed to have a good time.

Saturday’s Darla Mt loop run was attended by, Roy, David, Dave & Barb, Allen & Stacey, Tim and guests Dale & Keri, Curtis, Steve, and Desert Rat -- Ed Lindsey(sp). It was a fast trip with minimal stuckage. A few stuck to the beaten path while others scooted over the open snow flats and bowls. Dave had a brief moment of doubt early in the run but his wife, Allen and Stacy got him through it by hang’en on the high-side of the TJ. Good thing because we really enjoyed his and Barb’s company. Saturday night we cooked up a big pot of JumboGumbo, rice, garlic bread and crab legs. Topped dinner off with some of Grandma’s 100 proof apple pie and Allen’s campfire light show.

Sunday’s run up to Ewe Neck was attended by the previously mentioned minus Ed and plus Rich & Laura, Lee, guests Greg & Lisa, and three rigs from EWOR. Greg & Lisa had just missed us for Saturday’s run. As bad luck would have it, their Toyota suffered heating problems early in the run and they had to turn around. Sunday’s run was a bit tougher and longer than Saturday’s due to soft snow. Allen’s snow anchor was real useful during the day as too were the many shovels.

A few folks were snapping pictures….so post them if you can….
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:18 pm

On Saturday we made the complete loop around Darland Mt. We made good timing and had a blast playing on some big open snow fields and hills. Ed showed up in his yellow beast of Jeep, it still looked the same as I remembered when I was kid. On Sunday Lee and Rich and Laura showed up. Also Coleman arrived and two other rigs from EWOR, Laymen8 and I'm not sure who was in the Toyota. We camped at the Sno Park. There is lots of snow this year, there was still some patches of snow at the sno park. Sundays run was a little slower going. We headed up Jackass in hopes to reach the lookout cabin. But the snow was softer and we had more stuckage. It was a good weekend of wheeling. Thanks to everyone who came out. Now we need to make it to the lookout cabin and Blue Lake in a few weeks. :mrgreen:

Snow level at Tree Phones campground:

Back on our way to the top:

We played at Clover Flats and just about everyone but Ed got stuck in the soft snow:

On our way back up again:

At the top of Darland I went over a big drift but the other side was a bit soft and I was stuck. Had to use Al's pull pal to winch out.

The group at the top of Darland Mt.

Starting to head down the North Fork we came across some big drifts:

On our way back down the North Fork we came across a few guys in CJ's. Later that evening they towed this one down to our camp. The guy drank just a little too much was going to fast and hit a tree. Bent the thing up pretty good and the radiator was busted.

This was our group on Sunday. We headed up Jackass.

Lee did very well in his little Rubicon with his new body lift and tummy tuck:

It was slow going and it getting late so we started heading back. One nasty soft hill had everyone winching up. Tim tried to take a different route around the side of the hill. He had some good speed built up but didn't make it far enough and found himself stuck out in the middle with no trees to winch to. Rich and Laura made it over to him to winch him out.

Coleman pulled the valve stems to get better traction, but then lost two beads. The first one popped back on ok, but this one needed a strap:

The tranny in Tim's truck went out just before he made it to camp on Friday. On Sunday evening his brother brought up a tilt bed to haul it home. It took some maneuvering and two winches to get it on the trailer.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:01 pm

Looks like a blast. Nice pics.

Sorry I missed all the fun. :( Maybe next year.

toyman2

Postby toyman2 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:24 pm

X2

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Reflections from a noob...

Postby iaccocca » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:02 pm

I had a ball on Sunday. That was a great group of people to wheel with. I wish I could have made the whole weekend. It worked out well to convoy up with my neighbors, Rich and Laura. They flat towed their stretch YJ and I was comfy in my LJ with the windjammer in place. We got to camp early and the group headed out to wheel before 9. We drove up some switch backs and stopped before hitting the snow. When Roy and Rich headed out I followed, I was surprised to see that we were already at the snow and a bit of a side hill. When Roy hit a spot he had to work at, I took the opportunity to drop a bit more air. I was glad to find that if I kept my uphill tire in the tracks that Roy and Rich made it was easy to poke along. I learned that it is better leaving the lockers off in the snow (until they are needed.)
We hit a section the EWOR guys had hit the week before and I found the hole that one of them had dug the week before. I was thrilled to use my Rubi toys (lockers and what not) and manage to walk myself out of the hole and continue without strap or winch. Round the corner and there is Roy standing atop a short steeper off camber climb holding a video camera. I figure that if it is worth videoing it is at least worth locking my rear locker. In the time it took to look down at the switch I managed to drive out of the track. I managed to get out of that also, but I do not think I climbed the little hill as dramatically as I would have hoped.
Then we go to a long hill that was the playground of the day. Everyone had a different way of trying to get up the hill (except for Roy, he just drove up it, why not?) After a few tries someone suggest to me that it was all about momentum, so I dropped pressure a bit more and took at it hard until I was in 6th gear and 4lo, just banging against the rev limiter and I was flying up the hill until I stopped, RIGHT NOW. Thanks for the tug Rich.
I tried to keep going up on my own, but when your tires are turning forward and you are going backward, just take the tow that is offered you.
We dropped down on the trail that Curtis, Al, and Roy had gone down. It was rough going and even rougher going for me (and slow going for the guys behind me.) I got to use my new winch cable twice (maybe thrice.) We all turned around and most of us had to winch up the hill we had come down. I was lucky to winch to Scumby’s pull pal toy, that thing is the nuts.
From there, there was not much drama down to camp.
I had a great time and really learned a lot. Thanks Rich, Steve, and Al for all your tips and pointers (and digging.) Here are my pics…
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:46 pm

It was a pretty expensive weekend for me. I made it about 3 miles from camp on friday when my tow rig quit moving. The trans was toast. Unloaded the bronco, Dales gf Kerri drove it and we hooked a chain to the back of Dale trailer and drug my truck up to a wide spot in the road. Then we heade on up to camp to unload Dales truck and headed back down to retrieve mine. To make a long story short the cost of parts to fix the old one is close to the cost of a reman (almost $1900) so thats probably the way I'll go. At least it didn't let go down in Moab. So it will probably take a while to save that kind of money. The drive home in the bronco wasn't as bad as I thought. Considering it has 4.88 gears a spool in the rear and unbalanced 38" swampers. The rest of the weekend was a blast and I hope to get at least one more run in if I can get at trans in my tow rig or borrow another.
Here are a few more pics.

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:27 pm

Hey Lurch, what about the other White Diesel truck that you have? Is there a similar tranny in that?

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:20 pm

No it's only 2wd and is an older diesel. It wouldn't hold up to the extra torque. I may have to get it running and reliable though till I get the money to fix my stroker. I pretty sure the one out of your truck would work. Wanna drop it of for a while? :lol:

Fozzie

Postby Fozzie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:09 am

Looks like a blast this year,that is one of my favorite runs

"Racing is living,Everything else is just waiting!"Steve McQueen

oddball
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby oddball » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:52 pm

Nobodies chair blew in to the fire or anybody get a liitle too much of gradmas apple pie. Kinda of a slow weekend around the fire but maybe in a week or two we'll get another shot. Always room for more.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:49 pm

curtis...I'm all over another run in a few weeks. I hated to miss tihs one. We had tons of family in town and couldn't go. The 17th and 18th would work. The following weekend is Memorial Day so probably not a good choice.

Looking forward to it.

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:56 pm

Tim.

How about we put your camper on my truck for Memorial Day Weekend?

Wouldn't be as much weight on that older diesel and you could then pull the trailer for the Bronco much easier. :D

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:50 pm

Maybe, think I'm gonna pull mine and see how bad it really is.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu May 01, 2008 6:09 am

Barb & I would like to thank everyone for making last weekend a blast for both of us. And, a big thank-you for Al and David for talking me out of being a newbie chicken and turning around at the side hill. Plus, all the tips and suggestions you all gave me. I was suprised at some of the hills my TJ climbed without being pulled up it by someone!! I have a few pix, but they look the same as the ones already on here! Can't wait 'till the next one. Dave
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Return to “Ahtanum State Forest / Tampico”