Peak Putters - Ahtanum Snow Run, Memorial Day weekend 2008

Pics and reports of past Ahtanum runs
Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Peak Putters - Ahtanum Snow Run, Memorial Day weekend 2008

Postby Danny » Tue May 27, 2008 10:17 pm

It was a great three days at the snow park. The crowd's weren't too bad and we only saw 4 other wheelers all weekend. There was plenty of snow, diggin and winchen to last for a while....12 hours on Saturday alone.

Saturday, our attempt at Blue lake fell short by a few miles due the the deep snow and the steep terrain; that and Dave gave up an axel for the cause. We were only a mile or so from the cabin - correct me if I'm worng guys.

I'm not sure where we went on sunday other than we went way up on Nasty Creek. Dave or Curtis can fill in here, and Saturday Curtis had a leisurely drive up Seage ridge before heading home. Nothing too exciting up there.

The weather held out during the day and rained some at tight. A tarp and a huge fire did the trick though. On Sunday before Roy, Dave and Rich left Roy cook up some carne-a-sada for dinner....thanks Roy. Just about everyone else threw something into the fray, including pickelled eggs and a small pork roast that was BBQ'd on roy's grill. After everyone left Curtis and I put on one huge bond fire and enjoyed the evening.

Here are my pics. The rest of you can post your photos when you can.

Heading out for our first day or wheelin.

Curtis can't seem to keep that thing on the road.

Helping Curtis through one of many tough spot.

Roy clearing the top of our first big hill of the day.

Rich clearing the top of our first big hill of the day.

A quick rest stop after our first tough assult.

Digging and waiting on Curtis....again. It's a B...to be the leader.

That hole just jumped right out at me. Luckly there was no damage.

Talking it over before we make the desent.

Down into more snow.

Dave good and stuck. The right axel also let go during this attempt.

And we all wondered why this tire never blew.

Digging Dave out after trying to pull him out head first. We eventually had to pull him out by the heals after we fixed the blown bead.

Rich going over one of the many downed trees we encountered.

Lunch break on day two.

The gang on the ridge overlooking Rimrock Lake.

[/youtube]

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Tue May 27, 2008 10:27 pm

Great pics. Sorry I missed you guys. I was only up on day runs and ran different trails.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Tue May 27, 2008 10:38 pm

One of these days we'll hook up for a run. We got to visit with the Cooler before we headed out; said he missed a group on Saturday. We were surprised to see him come rolling into camp. Hope you day runs were great. Gona post up the photos?

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:10 am

It was a fun time. On Saturday we headed up Jackass, the plan was to make it to the Blue Slide Lookout cabin, drop down into Blue Lake and then around Darland and back to camp. Well the snow was a little worse than we expected. We struggled most of the day with sidehills. Curtis broke trail most of the way up. Once we made it to the top we kept getting lost and had a hard time finding the trail. We were close to the lookout cabin when I broke a front axle. The inner shaft on the passenger side broke, and I only had a spare outer :cry: It was around 6 or 7pm and we decided to head back down rather than risk dropping down into Blue Lake. I had to get a few tugs on the way out, but did alright will only 3 wheel drive. It was around 8:30pm when we made it back to camp.

On Sunday we decided to take a break from the snow and do some exploring. We headed up Nasty Creek and started hitting some trails we haven't been on before... we ended up on the Strobach Mt trail and Divide Ridge 613 trail. We attempted to take 613 towards Foundation Ridge but we didn't make it very far. The snow was mushy and it started raining and hailing. Rich was breaking trail and was still moving slowly forward but it was a long way to the top.

Last night I took my front end apart. Had to pull both shafts and the carrier to get the broken piece out. The shaft snapped in two right at the spines. It's weird because I was just telling my dad that morning that I had spare shafts for everything but that inner axle, and wouldn't you know that was the one that broke.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Wed May 28, 2008 8:23 am

What a clean break....no wonder it spun so freely. Nice pics of the rain and sleet :cry: that we got.

Did you order two inner shafts? :lol:

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed May 28, 2008 9:39 am

Danny wrote:Hope you day runs were great. Gona post up the photos?
They are post on this site.
Saturday: http://www.peakputters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=761
Sunday: http://www.peakputters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762

It was a great time.

Return to “Ahtanum State Forest / Tampico”