Peak Putters / All Wheelers Juniper Run Nov. 14, 2009

Pics and reports of past Juniper / Beverly Dunes runs
Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Peak Putters / All Wheelers Juniper Run Nov. 14, 2009

Postby Grumpy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:07 pm

I'm going to say to start that it was one of the best days I've had out at Juniper ever! Why don't we do this more often?!?!

Started the day by meeting Lee and Paula Horton at McD's on Kennewick Ave. at about 9:15. Lee had to get food and gas, so Paula and I headed out and hooked up with Clay and his gang by about 10ish at Smith Canyon. Trash and Don passed thru and headed to the upper lot to unload and air down. Starting to look like a good turn out!

After getting aired down, we headed up the road to get everyone in the same place. Peanut had the "camp" set up by the time we all got there. We lined all the rigs up for a photo shoot pre run and milled around a while with Paula from the paper getting notes and aquainted with the crew. Her photog, Ky (?) rushed around getting pix of the rigs, then it was off to play. Paula an Ky were riding with me, so I took it easy to start and let them take notes and pix. Some of the AWORC crew aren't to familiar with sand, so we let them spend time getting the feel of thing and play on the dunes below the parking lot.

Carnage reared it's ugly head early when James broke the rear d-shaft in the flatty! Contingencies where worked out for Trash to haul him up the hill, then they got it to the trailer so James could get to friends place for repairs. Meanwhile, the rest of us played. I started getting braver with the TCH kids, who really seemed to enjoy the ride! Tim had the rail, and it was decided Ky would take a ride and get some in car action shots! I really want to see those. I think that kid would make a good wheeler! He bailed after lunch and missed the real fun. During all the thing with James, Don managed to pop a bead, so had to get that handled, too. Tim and I ran up to get the jack and CO2, but by the time we got back, things were covered.

After a couple hours of fun, we all gathered back at the tent and downed some food and enjoyed some lively BS, while Paula talked to folks and took a bunch of notes. Toni told her about the Christmas family activity, Peanut filled her in on ORVTW, and we made plans to head out again.

Headed out the pipeline and played grab a$$ with each other on the way to the north dunes. Most of us were playing in 2x, so lots of rooster tails and sideways fun. Spent some time in a small bowl where the turn is to head away from the fence to get to the other dune area, and kicked up some sand. I chased Trashy around a bit playing in 2x, and had a ball.

Got over to the big dunes to play, and spent some time attacking some small stuff and then decided to see about one of the bigger dune faces. There were some kids on bikes, so we watched them a bit , too. At this point, Wrench and his 4 popper Cherowagon got our attention by climbing one big dune. I'd been pretty impressed watching him wring that thing out all day! Trash, being Trash, took his turn after turn after turn and put on a bit of a show in the Rodeo.

Okay, so the 4 banger done got up the dune in fine style I want ya'll to know! Pretty cool. So, uh, me being me, I figured I'd be remiss in not trying the same hill. So, down and around to get lined up and take a run. Paula stayed with me, too. Brave lady! Well, as the pix will attest, I missed! Big time. One big red Ford stuck on a dune. Someone say winch? Lee hooked on with some help from Steve R. All tha did was pull it down tighter. Sooo, down to the bottom for Lee to run up behind me. Again, with able help from Steve, the line is attached and they get me unbeached. Okay, this will not do. Backed the thing down, took a short break, and lined up again. Paula had gotten out and was with the vultures at the top of the hill. Smart girl. 2nd gear, low range, and away we go. Got it that time! Anyone get a shot of it?

Meanwhile, Wrench is playing, too. Seems his spare wanted out and knocked out his rear window! Would you believe it didn't break, and he got it back in! Don't remember if he got up the hill again. Probably, tho.

So, while gathering our wits for more giggles, it's announced that Jafo has broken his rear d-shaft!! While he's getting that out, some of the rest of us watch FatBoy and his wrangler play on the dune. He never got up, but it sure wasn't for lack of trying! Clay took his turn backwards by easing the big ol' 'burban down from the top. Good shot of the underside, Clay! Nice grading job.

Well, we figured we best see to it Kev and the girls got out safe, so our bunch headed back down the fence line while the AWORC crew went out cross country. Lee and I followed while Don played in and out of some of the side trails.

I think it was around 3ish when we got back to camp and found TJ waiting around. After he got aired down, Paula went out with him for a bit. She deserved a ride in something besides my truck! James got back with a fixed d-shaft and also went out to play for a few more minutes. Good thing, as he had Trash's tow rig! Finished up the day with some good conversation and packed up to go. Paula kind of seemed like she didn't want to leave!

Also, some time was spent picking a mess in one of the parking areas where fires have been built. I think 6 bags are out in my truck.

Okay, everyone, let's see your pix and comments!!!
Last edited by Grumpy on Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:16 pm

Here are most of the rigs of the day...

...including these two.

Ever see this much flex in a stiff sprung, leaf spring flat fender.

Unfortunately James was the first victim of carnage with a broken driveshaft.

Anybody think Wrench (on the board) is just talking about the work he's done on his 4 cylinder... take a look… he owned this BIG dune and he had all four in the air on some other dunes.

I'm not so tacknically litarate, but isn't something missing?

Oh, and look past the broken part, and you might get a feel for the big boy dune.

Hey Jafo, don't you need that under the Jeep?

And now, my artsy pic... this TJ kept trying, but I think he continued to be denied on the dune.

I tried the dune once, but some big red Ford land yacht was in my way and I was forced to put cable to him to get him out of my way. I’m sure I would have made it otherwise and that is the way I’ll continue to tell the story. Thanks for calling the run Grumpy and I think we will see some good press from getting the Herald out there.
Last edited by iaccocca on Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:44 pm

My little driveshaft problem, the tube broke not the weld:

.095 didn't seem to work so I upgraded a little.
Last edited by bobracing on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:44 pm

It was a great time, right up to the time I broke.... I still blame it on Toni.. :oops:
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:22 pm

What few pix I took during the day. Peanut, got yours up!!

Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:04 pm

iaccocca wrote:
Anybody think Crash (on the board) is just talking about the work he's done on his 4 cylinder... take a look… he owned this BIG dune and he had all four in the air on some other dunes.

Not sure where I earned the name Crash, but that would be me in the little 4-banger... 8)

Great pic!! I had a blast out there.

Now, time to build a spare tire rack so it doesnt hit the rear window again... :roll:
Last edited by Wrench on Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Thought I had that right!! More edit...
Dave

Quote:

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:04 pm

I think I might know where you picked up the name crash.

Good thing Wrench can hit the brakes as fast as I can throw my Jeep in reverse. :lol:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:06 pm

TJDave wrote:I think I might know where you picked up the name crash.

Good thing Wrench can hit the brakes as fast as I can throw my Jeep in reverse. :lol:

I'm glad his screen name is actually Wrench. :wink:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Wrench wrote:
iaccocca wrote:
Anybody think Crash (on the board) is just talking about the work he's done on his 4 cylinder... take a look… he owned this BIG dune and he had all four in the air on some other dunes.

Not sure where I earned the name Crash, but that would be me in the little 4-banger... 8)

Great pic!! I had a blast out there.

Now, time to build a spare tire rack so it doesnt hit the rear window again... :roll:

Sorry, my drinking Bud Light Golden Wheat while typing last night got you the Crash handle. :oops:
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Don

Postby Don » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Some pictures from Jobin's camera:

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:20 pm

All Wheelers & Peak Putters -
Juniper Dunes Run
November 14th, 2009

On Saturday November 14th, 2009 around 7:30 AM I loaded up the rig to make the 100 mile journey to Juniper Dunes near Pasco, Washington.
It had gotten real cold the night before and the rig was frozen.

Along the way we stopped off for gas and food in Sunnyside.

We got to the meeting point in Smith Canyon just before 10 AM and started airing down with the others.

Paula Horton, a reporter a from the Tri-City Herald came out for a ride along. Her photographer also came on the run.

We convoyed toward the Upper Parking Area to meet up with the rest of the group.
We passed White Trash & Peanut going the back to find their goggles.

Pulling into the Upper Parking Area.

Most of the group but not all.

Bobracing broke his rear drive line early in the game.

Here are some pictures of our fun.

Fatboy testing the sand out.

TJ40 about to test out the new tires in the sand.

White Trash towing out Bobracing.

The group got together and picked up a mess someone left.

The Peak Putters stopped at the Upper Parking Area for lunch and we headed out toward the Northeast.

Here we stopped for a picture and to wait for Fatboy to catch up.

Mayur slid off the trail.

We regrouped with the Peak Putters at the north end big dunes.

My ride.

Grumpy (AKA DaveW) got himself stuck at the top of a big dune with the reporter riding shotgun.

This XJ lost a back window on the way up. I am guessing he is stuck too.

The view from the top.

Grumpy giving the dune another run.

Fatboy's turn.

TJ40 hitting the bowl.

Screaming Toylet

It was time to start heading back out so we said our goodbyes to the Peak Putters and headed out by running the trails toward the east fence.

There were a few steep climbs a long the way.
These guys happy to top the hill.

Running the fence line.

Once we got back to the Smith Canyon Small Parking Area we aired up.

Fatboy headed back to Yakima and the rest of us stopped in Richland for dinner at Kimo's before heading home.

This was a very fun run thanks to everyone that came out.
We hope to do some more joint runs with the Peak Putters in the future.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Glad somebody has proof I made it :wink:
Dave

Quote:

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:43 pm

ok... I guess I can finally put my pics up now that I've clean up our mess in front of our garage and my toes are frozen!!

After getting to the upper lot and unloading the rodeo - for those of you who don't know our yota is getting a face lift and an upgraded tummy tuck so it's in the garage in pieces. Ry likes to play in the rodeo so we brought it out to join the fun. Anyway, so we unloaded at the upper lot and ran out to set up "camp", then realized one of our pairs of goggles must have fallen out the door back at the trailer so we headed back to go find them. Luckily we did!!

By the time we got back out to where everyone was bobracing had broke his driveshaft so we tugged him up the hill

On our way out we came upon a party/fire area that had been left a mess. So while Trashy and bobracing continued on to the trailer, I stayed behind and started cleaning. To be joined by Reco Very and Reco's Gurl and then the rest of the group. We ended up with six bags of garbage and amongst that mess found a glass plate, a fork and half a dumbell.....lol. I don't have any pics of everyone cleaning up cuz I was too busy looking for garbage. We headed back to "camp" and had some lunch then headed out further into the dunes with the group.

Trashy having some fun in the rodeo

Lurch in the rail

Lurch gave a lot of rides that day

another Trashy

some of the group

everyone watching the fun at the big hill

Trashy on one of his many attempts at the hill

The group at the bottom

Yup....Grumpy stuck

maybe a push from the group? Nope....denied

it's time for the big muscle to give it a try...

Wrench on one of his trips up the hill

Ceg's new ride

Wrench putting his back window back in.

Ceg and Paula watching from the top of the hill.....on Grumpy's second and successful trip up the hill

Fatboy almost making it over the top

a few more of Trashy playing....he was having a blast

a few dirtbike riders enjoying the sand

Ceg taking his trip down the hill

Trashy and bobracing after he got back from fixing his driveline

and last but definitely not least - the only pic I got to get of TjDave ....as he was leaving.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:44 pm

Grumpy wrote:Glad somebody has proof I made it :wink:

Don't really see this as making it . . . just not stuck YET! :twisted:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:15 am

Hey, Squirt, I'll take what I can get :lip:
Dave

Quote:

RONMOSS
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby RONMOSS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Looks like a great time had by all.
I need a jeep again.

The Big Dude (the first Old Green)

Jobin

Postby Jobin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:17 pm

Was there gonna be an article in the paper after this wekendend?

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:36 am

Jobin wrote:Was there gonna be an article in the paper after this wekendend?

Paula wasn't sure when it will be in the paper. She still has some people to interview, so it could be a bit yet. She wants it in the weekend Outdoor section...
Dave

Quote:

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:20 pm

N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Dromero

Postby Dromero » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Great article in the Herald today, nice work everybody who was out there, that's the type of good public relations that shines a bright light on wheelers.
'74 Bronco
'01 F250 crew
Future Bruggy

Return to “Juniper Dunes / Beverly Dunes”