A&B Canyons

Pics and reports of past Slab / Weber / Hover / A&B runs
commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

A&B Canyons

Postby commando14 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I headed to Benton City this morning to check out the A&B Canyons that I've been hearing about. There were several rigs when I showed up at the gas station. We went up one long canyon that had some good challenging spots, once we reached the top toolegit and 93Jeep headed out and the rest of us went to find the waterfall canyon. A Rubicon broke his rear end on the first climb in the waterfall canyon. JKLance made it half way up the canyon and lost a rear fender flare and running board, and had to bypass the last part of the canyon because it got way too narrow and rocky to get through without body damage. And I have to give props for TJTara for following us to the top of the waterfall canyon, her TJ didn't come out unscaved but she did make it to the top.

Thanks toolegit and 93jeep for showing us around the canyons, it was a good day of wheeling. We'll have to meet up with you guys again sometime.

93jeep

sorry bud

Postby 93jeep » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:22 pm

I didn't mean to bail, I towed the rubicon up the hilll and out to the road after he blew up his rear end. We will definitly be doing this again!

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: sorry bud

Postby commando14 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:25 pm

93jeep wrote:I didn't mean to bail, I towed the rubicon up the hilll and out to the road after he blew up his rear end. We will definitly be doing this again!

That's right... I forgot you pulled him out of there.

93jeep

A&B Canyons Wheeling Feb 26, 2012 Pictures

Postby 93jeep » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Great turnout, Heres some pictures

rjjff

Postby rjjff » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks for showing us around guys, had a great time again.

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Yea it was fun... Time to do a little cutting on the tub of mine.. and sorry i had to bail.. daughter was grumpy and wanted to go home.. but next time ill stay out and wheel..
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

kenny24

Postby kenny24 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Nice pictures...looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.
Kenny
97 ZJ
No honey, I brought it back in one piece..where did all that sand come from?

93jeep

Picking up the pieces

Postby 93jeep » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:53 am

Hmmm, I dont recognize that trail. Must go exploring again soon...
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Re: Picking up the pieces

Postby TJDave » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:04 am

93jeep wrote:Image

Ha! I have a friend with a 2 door JK. He has ripped almost all the plastic fenders off on the trails over the last few years. I asked him why he didn't take them off and get aftermarket stuff so he could sell the stock stuff. He says this way is easier, and lets him know what to replace! :lol:

Wrench wrote:Hmmm, I dont recognize that trail. Must go exploring again soon...

I did not know that was out there either. I just thought it was the area around the hiway that I see dirt bikes ripping around in. I am going to have to check it out next time you guys go out there. Looks like fun! 8)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:02 am

yea there are 3 canyons in the back.. the first one is the one you see the wheel stands. the second is the water fall, the third is the easy trail, well it was, idk how it is now. there is also a few quick small canyons that if ur not a good driver you will see some on ur side driving.. we have to meet up some other time... and if you dont like that webber is like 2 min away from there.
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:10 pm

I have hit all the canyons in the back, I guess they just look different in pics.

I found the waterfall canyon the hardest, but what I mean by that is that it was difficult to keep the rocks from scraping the sides and mirrors off while feathering the clutch with my light-flywheel 4-banger. Tearing up the body is just not my cup of tea. :P
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:46 pm

93jeep wrote:Image

Brian did say this was a bad idea... I replied "I'm all about bad ideas" Anyway that was some good technical climbing, Ha, ha, the funniest part was while I was picking up the fender pieces (that I saw explode in my mirror) up I saw alot of othe plastic and said, this must be somebody else's, all I got was the fender. And Brian says no that's your step rail... Then I was befuddled. I had thought they were metal.. idiot! :bobo

Anyway backing down through there after making waterfall, was alot easier since I only had 3 fenders and 1 mudflap left to consider... :lol2

Thanks for an awesome day, BTW I got the fender back on, it only cost $80 in plastic rivets and push plugs.... The rails are gone forever, I do have a good left rail, but the right was decimated. :modo
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:33 am

JK Lance wrote:Thanks for an awesome day, BTW I got the fender back on, it only cost $80 in plastic rivets and push plugs....

Damn Lance, you should have asked around a bit...

Auveco 20887 clips, available at many places and online, can be had for about $12, maybe less, for qty of 15. They are grey in color as opposed to black, but let's be honest, there is usually a layer of something covering them up so who cares?! :lol:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:12 pm

tobyw wrote:
Damn Lance, you should have asked around a bit...

Auveco 20887 clips, available at many places and online, can be had for about $12, maybe less, for qty of 15. They are grey in color as opposed to black, but let's be honest, there is usually a layer of something covering them up so who cares?! :lol:

Yah I got them now (that I don't need 'em), I can tear fenders off all the way around and still have clips left for less than $25... But I was in a hurry to get back legal...
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

rennat_2006

Postby rennat_2006 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:05 pm

I need to meet up with you guys out there sometime. Myself and a couple of buddies went out there and explored last sunday for a couple of hours. I dont know what canyon we ran but it was pretty gnarly :twisted: It was definetely one of the less traveled ones because there wasnt much of a trail going to it or through it, Pretty much just had tire marks through the weeds not even breaking through to the dirt below in alot of it. The top of the canyon puts you real close to the center of the orchard parallel with the freeway if that explains it to anyone.
2000 Zr2 Blazer with HP Dana 44. 4.88's, 36's, Beadlocks, Welded rear, SYE, CV driveshafts...

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:24 am

I've since been back and conquered the waterfall trail to the top. Then my buddy Brian says let's go a little further east? and see if we can find one more before we bail...

On the way up he folded his drag link into a U. So we used my winch up and under and a BFH to get that straight. The problem was this boulder he insisted on going the hard way around. After the steer =ing was fixed we were going to head up and out and he decides to give one more for the Gipper...

Needless to say we spent the next 90 minutes winching him up and out after breaking a rear axle, then another hour limping it back to West Richland. I made it out whole with a couple more trail tattoos on my rig. Brian's down for about a month while he acquires and configures a set of 60's for his TJ...

Lesson learned, if the trail bites you hard (Folded drag-link), don't think it won't bite ya twice, it might just bite harder as it did Brian... That big boulder was set loose by the dozer on top during a clearing operation, and just happen to be right up against the left rear tire when the axle grenaded...

I followed him and he hurt....
Lance

Return to “Slab / Weber / Hover / A&B”