Peak Putters - A & B Run (8-18-2013)

Pics and reports of past Slab / Weber / Hover / A&B runs
Livin4Today

Peak Putters - A & B Run (8-18-2013)

Postby Livin4Today » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Well for starters Yrjan and I met some friends for breakfast at Jack in the Box. Bryan (Black & Silver CJ-7) & Troy (Silver JKUR on 40s) and then rolled out to BC Conoco picking up Doug (Blue 2013 JKU). Upon arrival we found Irish waiting (Burnt Orange JKUR) and another friend of Troy's Jerry (Red JKUR) showed up and tagged along.

We aired down and rolled out to A & B, we trekked to our first of two canyons. 6 JKUs and a CJ-7. We entered the first (and only for a number of us) canyon. It was a long winding canyon that took us the better part of 3 hours to conquer. Along the way the only body damage that occurred was taken by Doug in the stock 2013 JKU (who wisely removed his plastic steps) who got a rocker tattoo on both sides and a couple of corners later be donated his right rear fender to the airspace (perhaps Irish can elaborate more here). I here it was pretty cool and Doug was still smiling, at least on the CB.

Up to this point there were many educational opportunities on proper lines etc, with plenty more to follow. Everyone had a great time and I believe not only learned more about wheeling tech, but also added to their Jeepin' experience and most learned how capable their rigs are, even the stock rig did well.

At the end of this canyon we found ourselves faced with a powdery and rocky hill that was impossible to get up. Bryan was leading our trek and was the first to assault it with his CJ-7. After many attempts he lost his front drive shaft, due to a bend it took earlier in the canyon. It seems his yoke decided to take leave.

At this point I was at the tail end of our convoy and having prior knowledge of this hill decided to work my way up and around a side hill. This also was loose footing but I succeeded and positioned myself for winching should we need it. While Bryan straightened his driveline and reinstalled it after some fancy winch and hammer work.

WE NEEDED THE WINCH!

In fact the next hour was spent pulling every rig up the hill until they could get traction and climb up to the road. That seemed to wear a few of the crew out, but my 12k winch worked hard to get everybody safely up and over.

We then headed over to the waterfall canyon where Bryan & Troy dove in and Yrjan, Irish, Doug and Jerry decided to call it a day. Now I dove in and chased after the other two remembering my first run through this canyon (where I lost a fender and a sidestep...) but Julia cruised right up it.

It's too bad the others hadn't continued with us as they honed their skills and would have found this 2nd canyon very technical and challenging ( stay tuned for video and a couple pics), but doable. We conquered it in about 30-40 minutes.

At this point the three of us decided it had been a good day and headed out to air up and head home. Bryan had to pick up children so Troy and I stopped at Conoco to air up. We got Troy's tires first then mine and I was having trouble with my left rear when I noticed the core had worked out too far (probably from using a core remover at Rimrock a couple weeks ago). Not having a core tool I opted for my camp fork to seat the valve stem then we got the tire aired up.

Just before completion my phone rang, it was Bryan he had lost his tranny in W Richland. So Troy and I went and towed him back to his house in Kennewick...

It was an AWESOME run, great participation by forum members (future candidates) and guests alike. Most importantly my buddy Bryan got to wheel his CJ-7 after an 18 month hiatus since trading his TJ. Even with a blown tranny he said it was an awesome day and great stress reliever, he even brought his better half for her first ever wheeling trip, she too was all smiles!

Thanks to all that attended, get your candidacy started and let's get you started toward becoming full members. Thanks to Bryan for leading and helping everybody through the tough spots, and to Troy for helping get Bryan's rig home safely.

For those who didn't make it you missed a great run, and no moonscapes were created today, at least at A & B, although it seems Prosser had something burning which no doubt created some moonscape.

That is all...
Last edited by Livin4Today on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Perhaps the forum manger can transfer other trip reports on the upcoming side over to this thread?
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

WaWa

Postby WaWa » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:42 pm

Incoming.... slowly....

Thanks for an awesome time and introduction to the local scene!

Here are a few of the photos I took, If I missed you... well you were ahead of us... None the less, tried to get a little of everyone in here!

.... on with the show!

Last edited by WaWa on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Good report Lance like always. Here is my pix from the other post...
Great time today! Thanks to everyone who showed up.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Nice pics! Looks like a fun time and a great turnout. That's a nasty looking loose climb at the end there.. I don't remember climbing that when we were out there last year.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:04 pm

commando14 wrote:Nice pics! Looks like a fun time and a great turnout. That's a nasty looking loose climb at the end there.. I don't remember climbing that when we were out there last year.

It was pretty bad nobody made it up... I think the vineyard guys have been pushing all their rocks down the hill and the running a dozer over them.
Lance

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:41 am

Just an FYI:
This makes me cringe, holding on to the rollcage is NEVER a good idea. If/when the rig goes over the hand gets caught between 4K+ of Jeep laying on a small round bar and whatever is on the ground (rock, sand, sticker, etc..)

Grabbing the cage just to stabilize yourself isn't a good idea either because this is what your body remembers when the Jeep goes over and becomes a natural reaction to grab the cage.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Irish

Postby Irish » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:33 am

This is when Doug did some customization to his Jeep
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5arK6HeZPbU[/youtube]

Here is Jerry and Lance making their run up a rocky section
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZkwIn8SZzo[/youtube]

Here is a vid of Bryans attempt at the last hill
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJYNZeoDwLs[/youtube]
09 JKU Rubicon

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:54 am

Here are some vids I took Lance. I will try and get Vadim's from him later today so you can make a movie. The title should be "JK Party"

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/NYshtDA_45g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/NYshtDA_45g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/5yrwOKpN3O8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/5yrwOKpN3O8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/fJLZRzwtY8s?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/fJLZRzwtY8s?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/TJsAiivD6xQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/TJsAiivD6xQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Mz58Reny5Ro?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Mz58Reny5Ro?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/SauzJIpWDxs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/SauzJIpWDxs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

DougCampbell

Pics and vids.

Postby DougCampbell » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:09 am

I am having trouble uploading mine. How do I add them.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:32 am

Somebody better build that young lady in the 7 some grab handles. Many in the club have been witness to someone actually losing a HAND dong that. . .not a finger, but an entire hand. . .

AWESOME report and pics guys. Sorry to have missed it, but I had a wheelin' trip to the West side to pic up the next project. . .

Irish

Re: Pics and vids.

Postby Irish » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:38 am

DougCampbell wrote:I am having trouble uploading mine. How do I add them.

Use the Youtube tags and put the entire address of your video in it.. so it would look like this

Code: Select all

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n6zJPgwRRs[/youtube]
09 JKU Rubicon

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:38 pm

OldGreen wrote:Somebody better build that young lady in the 7 some grab handles. Many in the club have been witness to someone actually losing a HAND dong that. . .not a finger, but an entire hand. . .

AWESOME report and pics guys. Sorry to have missed it, but I had a wheelin' trip to the West side to pic up the next project. . .

Noob rider, she was schooled, and plans for a new crossbar are in the works... Right after we get the tranny ... Anybody got a 4L60E they'd care to donate to the cause...
Lance

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:50 pm

JK Lance wrote:... Anybody got a 4L60E they'd care to donate to the cause...

Sure but it's a 2wd, 4.3 version, out of an S10 blazer that has been sitting outside for a while.
Just come get it.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:03 pm

bobracing wrote:
JK Lance wrote:... Anybody got a 4L60E they'd care to donate to the cause...

Sure but it's a 2wd, 4.3 version, out of an S10 blazer that has been sitting outside for a while.
Just come get it.

Thanks but need the 4x4 version to not spend the bucks and time refitting it.
Lance

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:43 pm

That is the exact same hill that Chrispy used to explode several parts in his front end, in the snow this last winter.

If you actually stay on the trail that hooks to the left, you should make it right up. We did, in the snow.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Nukegumby

Postby Nukegumby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Great pics! Looks like it was a blast.

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Wrench wrote:Image

That is the exact same hill that Chrispy used to explode several parts in his front end, in the snow this last winter.

If you actually stay on the trail that hooks to the left, you should make it right up. We did, in the snow.

Only prob... NO MOISTURE... no traction...
Lance

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:26 pm

And now for some of my RAW footage a 5 part expose of our day from both my in cab and porta-vid, spliced together from 15 video clips...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW68RjEmqso[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct_4mRkZGbY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFqnEeQsis[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-yM900PG7I[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JRYytNAbqA[/youtube]
Lance

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:20 am

Pics from Troy...

Lance

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 pm

man ive been running those canyons for so long.. I missed out running the JK up there. have yet to take it up those I made it though webber no problems.
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

SquirrelCrusher

Postby SquirrelCrusher » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Wrench wrote:That is the exact same hill that Chrispy used to explode several parts in his front end, in the snow this last winter.

I think a Toyota even made it up in 3-wheel drive. I want to get back out there again. That was a fun little wheeling afternoon.
'94 Bronco - Buckstop bumper w/ 12k winch
To many atvs and dirt bikes

For Sale '96 F-250 Powerstroke - 4in lift, 35's, Dana 60 Front end, Tuner
Sold '96 Jeep Cherokee - 4in lift, 35s, Dual Spartans, 4.88s
Sold '80 Camaro Z/28 - T-Tops, auto, 350

Chrispy

Postby Chrispy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 am

Wrench wrote:Image

Last time tim and I ran it after we rebuilt my trans when we got to the top they pushed a bunch of railroad kind of rock in from the top we couldn't get out from the top
HE TOOK THE BYPASS?? YEAH ITS A JEEP THING.

DougCampbell

Trail Damage

Postby DougCampbell » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:28 am

Turns out I mangled the oil pan as well. We trimmed the fenders yesterday, and when I was under the jeep looking for a lost screw I found the bent oil pan. No leaks, but pretty mangled.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:38 pm

[quote="SquirrelCrusher

I think a Toyota even made it up in 3-wheel drive. I want to get back out there again. That was a fun little wheeling afternoon.[/quote]

the whole canyone was 3 wheel even

Return to “Slab / Weber / Hover / A&B”