Peak Putters - The Slab (10-06-2013)

Pics and reports of past Slab / Weber / Hover / A&B runs
Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Peak Putters - The Slab (10-06-2013)

Postby Yrjan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Writing this on my iPad so it might be a little bit short. Lance can elaborate if I miss something...

So we met at the Benton City ConocoPhillips station at a little after 9am. It was me driving BONECRUSHER, Iulia driving the Red Rock Rubicon, Lance and Miss Mandi in the tricked out Saharacon, Bryan in the '82 CJ, Vadim in his newly acquired Rubicon, Josh47x and his family in his green XJ, and his guest Derek in his red Chevy pickup.

We elected to take the old highway because Bryan was uncomfortable going more than 50 mph in his CJ on forties. We arrived at the trailhead and aired down, reprogrammed our computers and started off towards flex canyon with Lance leading the way. (Refer to one of Mandi's Facebook posts with regards to Lances sense of direction and ability to read a map) after some simple hill climbs and a little winching on the Chevy I took the lead and we arrived at flex canyon just in time for the action and suspense I was telling you all to wait for.

I took the first pass(my only pass) and made it through with no real issues. I was followed closely by Bryan who found action and suspense in the form of a tire being literally ripped almost completely off the wheel. I manouvered my jeep up the other side of the canyon and with a little help from my winch we had him back in business in no time. He made it out ok but there was certainly more to come for him...

The rest of the pack made it through with no real issues and we all continued to play around for about an hour. During our rough housing Bryan was trying to climb strait up the most treacherous part of the canyon when his left rear tire again ripped right off the wheel. This time the help came in the form of a shinny new green Rubicon. With a little help from Vadim he was nearly set to put a strap on that bad boy and all of a sudden his whole Jeep collapsed to the other side. Yep, another tire pulled right off the wheel! With a little winching and some help from Lance and his ARB pump we were all happy campers and settled in for some samaches. Iulia and the Chevy hadn't been playing that much there so we decided to go find some hill climbs. Much to my surprise Iulia was more than eager and jumped in and took off before Lance and I could even get our seat belts on. At this point Mandi had decided that it was her turn to drive and Lance was driving BONECRUSHER.

We caught up with Iulia and began climbing hills like crazy! Left, and right, up and down, everyone was having a blast when all of a sudden I hear Bryan (or Lance, can't remember who) come over the radio yelling "STOP! Your broken!"

Unfortunately this is where I hand the mic off to Lance, because I know how much he likes giving run reports and I'm kinda tired of typing on this little iPad mini.

Iulia had a blast and good times we're had all around. Many thanks to everyone who came out!

Unfortunately I didn't take any pix or videos. Was watching the seahawks game live on my iPhone as I was wheeling. (Dish anywhere app) :lol:

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Yes, great time had by all! It was so much fun to see Iulia take on those hills.... Lance will load all the pictures and video soon. After watching Bryan nearly tip his Jeep over in Flex Canyon, I was sure I was not going to even attempt a pass at it....I can even be heard saying "No Way" several times on video.....but Bryan promised to coach me through...and I made it with just a slight scuff to the rear bumper..... Feeling quite proud of myself I refused to give up the driver seat...hence Lance driving Bonecrusher. As Michael mentions we headed off to play on some steep hills....the Boys assured me I could make it up a steep hill where others had been seen struggling. Iulia jumped in as my co-pilot and we proceeded to "show them what we could do." My first pass I let off the gas too soon and had to back partially down the hill....Bryan yells into the radio "Gas gas gas" so I hit it....remembering not too floor it and up over the steepest part I go....only to have my triumph crushed by the horrid sound of grinding crushing snapping metal......for some strange reason those boys all seemed to think breaking was some right of passage..... But I just hated that we were now broke again.
:( I was cheered up quickly though by hopping in with Iulia and riding along while she drove her pretty red Rubicon to the top again and again!
Lance will fill in all the technical details....what's broken and their long journey home..... All in all it was still a beautiful day....but then any day wheeling is a beautiful day!

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Ms Mandi wrote:It may be his JK, but I wheel it too!

More like break it too... :fuite

So we've covered the basics, we started out at the Conoco in Benton City, took OIE to the Valley highway, then after a quick stop in Zillah ran up to The Slab...

We all got prepped and for some reason, I believed that Flex Canyon was back in the NE corner, so yeah my misguidance caused some delay as we trekked all around Flex Canyon before eventually finding it. But once there as Mike said the fun began. The interesting part was that the only two rigs that had malfunctions were ours (Julia) and Bryan's CJ-7, although he fared better this day as you soon see. :bobo

Ms. Mandi made major gains in her wheelin' creds, killing flex canyon with a little spotting help from Bryan, after making it down, I was telling her to have full creds she had to do it both ways, so she did with no problems. :thu2:

Bryan, was enjoying his runs through Flex with some acrobatics and neat balancing tricks, including blowing three beads on different tires. I hearby retract my advice of less air pressure for his rig, as I came to learn that my gauge reads wrong, I was believing I had been airing down to 6 lbs on my rig, yet Mike's gauge said I was at 12, so Bryan's Swampers didn't like 12 much hence the blown beads.

After toying around Flex for about an hour or more we took off after some hill climbing as mentioned above. Mandi and Iulia were doing great until our rear diff dynamited under Mandi while climbing one of the steeper hills.

It wasn't all her fault as mentioned in my build thread, we're stressing OEM parts designed for a stock rig, and we're pushing a tank around (as noted affectionately by a few JK fans...), hence stuff happens. However this time we were a lot closer to home and not hanging on a cliff (flashback to Rimrock's Pucker Ridge), so Ms. Mandi didn't get as upset, but was still visibly... moved shall we say? :humhihi

Anyway, after stopping her at 80% up, we winched her up the rest of the way and went about the fix that would get us home. It's now around 3 pm, and Josh & Derek and their families headed for home, while we went to wrenching.

We dropped the rear diff cover and found the spider gears no longer lived where they had for there existence to date, but seemed to prefer the bottom of the diff now, along with the pin and various other parts of the internals. The good news (relatively speaking, was the axles are still good, everything else was toast. So after scraping all the guts out, we buttoned her back together squeezed a fresh bit of gear lube in there and headed down to the staging area to air up and head for home.

After reaching Buena, the girls rode together in Iulia's rig, Vadim & Jenessa made a quick trip to Yakima, and myself Bryan & Mike started our slow ride home. We stopped again in Zillah for some fuel, and not liking the rear chatter, I decided to drop my rear driveshaft. That made a huge difference in the noise level, and we crawled Julia back to the house, in front wheel drive, arriving safely at 9:00 pm. It was a long 12 hour day...
:nananère

The outcome $904 worth of "upgrades" are on their way from our buddies at Northridge. I'll share some pics and hopefully get to some video editing in the coming week...

Last edited by Livin4Today on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:20 pm

I think Iulia has some pictures too!

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 am

Ms Mandi wrote:I think Iulia has some pictures too!

Indeed she does. I'll try posting them tonight.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:47 am

did it just take out carrier and spiders? or did the ring and pinion get wiped out too? i used to do similar damage before i put dana 60 in my rig

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:32 am

The bottom pic looks similar, I didn't get a chance to see the case, but Bryan said it was cracked, I'll know more when we go back in with parts to throw at it. You guys say 60, like it's a drop in the bucket, but these JKs have to have tone rings that keep the ABS functioning, without the tone rings a whole host of other things don't work and your dash looks like a x-mas tree.

Now if I could use everybody else's wallet combined, I could then afford the ultimate axles, Curry Rock Jock 60s cut down to 65 WMS-WMS, speciffically set up with tne rings for a JK. I mean heck I'm only talking $9-10k give or take for both.

Who wants to donate? It'll save us all the heartache and broken parts, learning, & trail fixes that makes us a better wheelers if we can just jump to the finishline...
So who's in?
Lance

Building a capable off roader is easy, building a street legal one that you can wheel and then drive daily is the challenge...

2007 JKU, 7" RK lift, 40s, ARBs, 5.38s, Headers, Fox Coilovers, etc. http://www.Livin4Today.com

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 am

i was just saying my experience not saying throw a 60 at it

sorry if you percieved it that way, the grizly locker should eliminate the problem, it was just cheaper for me to put a 60 in than to buy a full case locker (i was also having issues with shafts and joints)

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:36 am

79chevy39.5's wrote:i was just saying my experience not saying throw a 60 at it

sorry if you percieved it that way, the grizly locker should eliminate the problem, it was just cheaper for me to put a 60 in than to buy a full case locker (i was also having issues with shafts and joints)

Appreciated...
Lance

Livin4Today

Postby Livin4Today » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Here is the shortened version of the days video. ENJOY...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab2f-mxuaz8[/youtube]
Lance

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:39 pm

blame the toyos lol.. good tire just to heavy for light axles..
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

Return to “Slab / Weber / Hover / A&B”