3-ball fundraiser

Area for club members and candidates to post pics and reports of new PP Club called runs and events.
Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

3-ball fundraiser

Postby Lurch » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Those that didn't show missed out. We had 15 people racing, 5 powder puff and 10 guys. We raised a total of $140 towards the 50th anniversary. Corrien (spelling?) a new guest came away with best time off 1.35 in the powder puff class, as a result she got to take home the trophy in that class. Ed got the best time in the other class with a time of 1.16, both David and I were right behind with 1.19. It was some very close racing all day.
There was some carnage. I was riding with Paul in what would have been another fast time when "bang, clank clank clank. He broke the rear u-joint and damaged the drive shaft.
I haven't added up the times and figured out who gets the traveling trophy for average time yet but will let you all know when I do.

I only took a couple pics of the winners with their trophies. They are on my phone and will be posted shortly.

A huge thank you to all who came out. Please post any pics and stories you may have.
Last edited by Lurch on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:07 pm

This is Corrien with her trophy and co-pilot Jake in front of their sweet high hood.

And this is Ed with co-pilot Paul with the trophy they won.

Congrats to all the winners.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:11 am

Yep, I broke the YJ.

Carnage: broken rear drive shaft yoke (obviously caused by too much axle wrap) and all 4 leaf springs are noticeably bent.

Warning to others: spring-over with soft/cheap leaf springs and no traction bars are not the best combination if torturing your rig, lol! Also, driving a 4-wheel-drive as a front-wheel-drive with a lunchbox locker in the front is really, really unpredictable on the street, especially around corners! :shock:

Thanks, Tim, for all the work you and Kari put into this!
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:49 am

Was a great time. Barb was not sure about running at first. I told her I would show her what to do on a practice run. When I got out of the Jeep to switch seats, she took off without me. She had a big smile on her face when she returned. I'm not sure if it was from driving the Jeep, or leaving me standing there! :lol: She had fun, and did pretty darn good for her first time driving the Jeep off road.

HEY! Wait for me to get in.

The smile says it all..

The wind was a little chilly in the morning.

There is another carnage story, but I will leave that to those involved to tell.
I will say that when I arrived home, I received a call from those that stayed to play a little longer. Seeing the recent pics of destroyed rigs that were left out there recently, I was more than happy to hook up the car trailer and head out for the rescue mission.
No man, or woman, left behind!
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:53 am

Oh yes. Must not forget. The Carne Asada was great.
Thank you Tim for providing that. :slurp
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:44 am

The overall average time was 1:55. Kari was the closest with 1:53. So she gets the traveling trophy. Would whoever has it make sure it makes it to the next meeting.

Thanks you again to all who were able to participate!!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 am

Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Brier Rose
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Brier Rose » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:56 am

I will admit that I wasn't sure if I really wanted to play because I have never really drove the Bronco before but I am so glad that I did! I had a blast and 3-Ball really is addicting. I cant wait to do it again. Tim will have to get used to me stealing the Bronco more often... or help me build my own :wink:

Duckman

Postby Duckman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Corinne and I had a blast too, and can't wait to do it again!!!

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:10 pm

So glad we made it out yesterday...We had a great time! Thanks Tim for hosting!

and the rest of the story......

Lance, Gerald, Kelly and I headed out to the back nine of the dunes searching for a little more adventure before we called it a day......
We settled on a steep incline of soft sand....Lance didn't make it his first few tries, Gerald persisted....and crested at the cost of his shock mounts....It took a few tries, but I made it up.....so Lane grabbed the camera and sent me on another go around....I made it.....but the axle hit hard and I ended up with a hole in the oil pan.
Lance towed it out, Gerald behind the wheel of the XJ..Kelly following....and thankfully, TJ Dave was able to come back with his trailer and take my broken Xaria the rest of the way home for me.....

I have a video, it's on my Faebook...and I will ask Lance to post it tomorrow....he's on shift today....

Thanks Dave!!!! you were a life saver! and tell Gerald and Kelly thanks too!
Last edited by Mandi on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:10 pm

I see a conspiracy theory with the winner's side plaques.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:24 am

bobracing wrote:I see a conspiracy theory with the winner's side plaques.

Well, wouldn't you expect "Desert Rats" to "own" their "turf"? :P
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:33 am

Wrench wrote:
bobracing wrote:I see a conspiracy theory with the winner's side plaques.

Well, wouldn't you expect "Desert Rats" to "own" their "turf"? :P

No.

bronchole

Postby bronchole » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:20 pm

So I am involved in allot of games at events down here and this 3-ball thing is sounding interesting. Can I get a good description of how it is played, what the rules are and any history about its development?

Dan
1997 Monsterneer
1967 Bronco (Bonchole)
10m, 2m 146.535, 70cm=KI6MCO, CB ch27=Apollo 3, GMRS ch7,

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:40 pm

So did anyone forget a camp chair at three ball? I ended up with an extra.

Also bronchole, did anyone explain the game to you? I must have missed your question when you posted it.

bronchole

Postby bronchole » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:13 pm

Nope, please explain.
1997 Monsterneer

1967 Bronco (Bonchole)

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:00 am

It's call 3 ball but in reality you can use as many as you want. We typically use 4. You will need tees. I use a wooden stake with a pvc cap attached to the end of it with a wood screw. I them painted them for visabilIty. Whatever you use make sure a softball sits on it without falling off too easy.

You place the tees out in the area you plan to play in no specific order.

The way you play is you pic a start/finish tee. Typically the one closest to where everyone is staged. You leave the start/finish tee and head to your first tee. The passenger places the softball on the tee and you head off to the next in no specific order. The start/finish tee is the last one you place a softball on. Then you run back around and the driver removes the ball and gives it to the passenger to hold on to. With the start/finish tee being the last one you pick up. You time the run by starting the clock when they leave the start and don't stop it till the last one is picked up.

Both driver and passenger must wear a seat belt at all times. If a ball is dropped or knocked off the tee the either driver or passenger will get out of the vehicle after it has stopped and pick up the ball. The vehicle is not allowed to move till everyone is safely buckled back in.

It gets pretty competitive and is a lot of fun. Let me know if you have any other questions.

bronchole

Postby bronchole » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:11 am

That seems pretty straight forward and pretty fun. Is this a game that you guys invented or to whom would I credit it to if I were to bring this game down South?
1997 Monsterneer

1967 Bronco (Bonchole)

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:19 am

I honestly don't know where it came from. I don't think we invented it but we do enjoy playing. It makes a great fundraiser if you charge an entry fee and give out prizes.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:21 am

We were doing this at our play days in the Oregon Dunes 40 years ago, so it's been around a while :D
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:36 am

Boy Scout, Danny, Oltman, and I played it 10 years ago at the Team Trophy Challenge at TSF in a rock garden in the rain. Had so much fun that we brought it here. Like Grumptastic said though, it has been around for a long time.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Was good times.....I was riding with OG when he tried to grab a ball and dropped it....down hill. I grabbed a hold of his belt (that was quite a site) so he could grab the ball without getting out of his Jeep and loose points.

:yahoo
Forget your age and live your life!

Return to “Recent Run Reports - Peak Putter Club Runs”