Darland Mt (aka.. Camp Schamp)

Area for club members and candidates to post pics and reports of new PP Club called runs and events.
SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Darland Mt (aka.. Camp Schamp)

Postby SPR » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:43 pm

I've been given the nod get this Darland Mt. run report started: I know some web-wheelers are anxious to hear about the trip.

Friday: Most folks rolled into the snow park by midafternoon or early evening. Rich and his buddy rolled in from Boise after dark. As a group, we were fortunate to roll in before the hords of Side-by-Side ATV groups filled up the entire parking lot with RV's and trailers. Roy managed to stake claim to the fire pit area on the most upstream end of the park. He also managed to drag down and cut of enough firewood for the night. It was a chilly and little breezy at times, but a very pleasant time around the fire pit.

Saturday: Burrrr, It froze over the night and some freezing rain froze the doors shut on a few rigs. The day started out sunny and the group was on the road by 845AM. A few day trippers arrived in time to catch us sneaking out of camp prior to the pending mass exodus of the ATV folks.

Rigs joining this trip were driven by Curtis, Steve, Tim, Al, David, Roy, Dan, Rich, Andrew, Bill, Bill's bronco buddy, Craig, Paul H and guests Ed and Paul

We found a little snow at Tree Phones, where we took a little different route to Darland Mt. Only two slippery side hills and we were on top playing in mostly packed deep snow.

Just passed the second side hill, we re-grouped.

Steve's and Andrew's brief periods of breaking trail.

Good snow conditions, with sunny, windy, snowy weather. Here are a bunch of pictures of Saturday's run. Please post more if you have them.

I could post this picture twice since Paul got stuck and winched out of the same hole twice in less than 10 minutes.

Most of us crested Darland MT with no issues. However, last slope was too slippery for some and they needed a little tug up. You can't tell from the picture, but Al's rig is in gear and wheels are a turning. I have a video.

Al and Paul (Ed's friend) had a near miss after this shot. Paul's rig nearly slid down the hill into Al's when Paul tried to tug him up hill. Al was in the rig and able to put it into reverse and out run Paul's sliding rig. It was funny to watch since they were strapped together. Al had to keep enough slack in the short strap until Paul's rig stopped sliding toward him.

From the summit, a few folks shot done the face of the super bowl while most took the slower road around. We all met at the intersection to eat lunch and tell stories. The smell of Roy's burgers burning on the grill was a nice touch. Tim's rig suffered a minor electrical issue and wouldn't start. Fortunately, he found the problem and was able to continue on in Bronco fashion.

I believe David has some good photos from the super bowl route and the side trip to Blue Lake, so I'll stop here and let him finish up the day's events. Day 2 (aka... Winch Fest) to follow.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 am

Great run, both days, even with the icy winch fest. As Steve mentioned the snow park was so full of trailers, 5th wheels and motor homes and all their quads and side by sides there wasn't enough room for two rigs to pass each other down the center of the park. Hope Carie got some pics of that mess. We were the only Jeeps there, along with Steve's Yota.

Here's some of the pics I took and this one has to come first.

How many guys does it take to get a EB started.... :quoi....Let me count....7

Lunch break. It was hard to find a place that wasn't snowy and windy.

Part of the group that made it to Blue Lake.

And then there's Sunday's run....

The line up....

Here's the maiden voyage for the new winch.....

Needless to say it was a tuff climb for everyone

and at the top, a quick lunch and then blast down the mountain.
Forget your age and live your life!

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:35 pm

I followed Ed and Paul down the super bowl or mini bowl, whatever it's called. As soon as we made it to the bottom of the hill Ed fell in this huge hole. I immediately started having flashbacks of the last time Andrew and I dropped down into the bowl and had to winch back out.

I took a few pics of Ed and walked back to my Jeep to prepare for some kind of recovery, but amazingly Ed just drove out of it after a bit of shoveling and we were on our way.

On Day 2 we went up Sedge Ridge thinking it would be fairly easy to make it through with the lack of snow this year. But the last hill climb was all ice. Ed and Paul make some attempts at the hill but didn't make it very far without sliding all the way back down. Our options were to winch everyone up the hill, or go all the way back down and back up another route. We decided to start winching, but it quickly turned into a major winch fest as the hill was much bigger than we thought. We lost 2 winches on the hill, Dan's new winch broke and Curtis's winch stopped working. There was a lot of cable rigging and snatch blocks on the hill to get everyone up. At times my dad was behind Curtis using his winch and snatch blocks to winch Curtis up the hill.

rjjff

Postby rjjff » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:58 pm

Great run guys. Thanks for the pictures. Had a blast. Looking forward to the next one.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:39 pm

steve, after talking to ed I like Al's plates :lol:

Return to “Recent Run Reports - Peak Putter Club Runs”