Juniper Dunes BLM fence repair

Area for club members and candidates to post pics and reports of new PP Club called runs and events.
Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Juniper Dunes BLM fence repair

Postby Grumpy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:17 pm

We came, we saw, we conquered. 90 some hay bales stuffed into holes under the wire fence, some posts driven back in, and some drift fence strung in the spots new dune spread had covered the boundary fence. Members of the Peak Putters, Desert Rats, Roamin' Chariots, Midnite Mudders, and Rattlesnake 4x4s stepped up and got'r done! Still work to do, but the crew got a great run at things. Chris from BLM was a happy camper. He had his boss with him, and we did make an impression.Thanks to everyone who came, you make a guy proud. All of you that took pix, post 'em up. I'll have to get the boss to work on mine.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: Juniper Dunes BLM fence repair

Postby Lud » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:34 pm

IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG (829.5 KiB) Viewed 7419 times
IMG_0828.JPG
IMG_0828.JPG (936.85 KiB) Viewed 7419 times
IMG_0808.JPG
IMG_0808.JPG (671.67 KiB) Viewed 7419 times
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Um, Rob, they're sideways... :huh:
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:07 pm

I was late to the party, but glad I made it out to help.

This is how my morning started. Low lifes slashed a friend's tires. :evil:

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:03 pm

They're straight on my screen..,
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Lud wrote:They're straight on my screen..,

Weird... :conf:
Dave

Quote:

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:49 am

I see Lud's pics sideways too. I posted my first pics straight off my phone and they showed up sideways. Deleted them and used photobucket. Not sure why it does that.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Here's the rough draft for Tri Power:

Juniper Dunes Fence Work - April 1, 2017

In mid March, while talking with Steve Smith at the Spokane BLM office about a possible cleanup project out by Benton City, Juniper access came up in the conversation, and also the fact they were needing to do some work on the boundary fence for the wilderness area that adjoins the OHV area. Well, that sort of thing gets my attention really quick, so I allowed that maybe I could arrange some help. This is an area that us locals take pretty seriously as it’s close to home, and a good place for an impromptu day run. Sadly, access has been an issue for years, but that’s another story. Anyway, after some kicking things around, I decided this would be a great opportunity for the area 4x4 clubs to do something that would help cement what is working into a pretty good relationship with BLM.

That same day, I started working our social media putting out the idea of all of us gathering the groups and get some fence work done. Steve put me in contact with Chris Shafer, BLM’s resource guru, and he outlined what he figured was needed. In a number of places the sand had blown out from under the fence, leaving it hanging as far as 6’ above the ground in places. In other spots, new dunes were actually forming and covering the fence. Chris’ plan was to get large hay bales to fill the void under the fence, like the gas company does with their pipeline through the dunes when erosion exposes it. In the drifted areas, he planned roll type drift fence to fill the areas without fence. So, rough idea worked out, on to some recon.

On the morning of March 24th, a couple of the guys from each of the local groups met at the fire hall at Peterson Road and headed out with Chris to get a look at the project area. At least that was the “plan”. My chauffeur, Jose, took a wrong turn, so he and I had our own self guided tour of the north end of the fence. It all worked out, and Chris was able to tag some of the critical areas. With the work area lined out, the next week was spent gathering up the crews from each club.

On April 1st, 20 some of us gathered again at the fire hall to get lined out and get going. Chris had about 100 hay bales, and two small trailers to help get them where they were needed. Chris also had his boss, Eric Holborn, and intern Kodjo Danhounsrou, along to help herd us hooligans. I do believe they were a mite impressed with the turnout, given the short notice, and I do mean short. This all took about 2 weeks.

After getting lined out, hay loaded, and coffee drank, off went the crews. We got a lot done, and got some wheeling in even. The guys hauling hay with trailers really had a good time. I think. There were some unique methods used to load some of the rigs. Chris spent his time scrambling up and down the fence keeping track of all of us, grinning from ear to ear. I didn’t see much of Eric or Kodjo, but word is Eric was more than impressed with the response to the BLM needing help.

Our aim is to build on this, and stay as involved as we can. Now that legal access has been worked out, and plans are in progress for improvements, we all need to stay involved in the process. Recreational planning will be getting off the ground, and we can be apart of it.

Roll call!

Desert Rats: Earl Nettnin, Ed Livesey, James and April Ewing

Rattlesnake 4x4: Doug and Ian Campbell.

Midnite Mudders: David Linton, Justin Linton, John and Tori Thompson, Patrick Tylor Wortham, Jeff Schreiner.

Roamin’ Chariots: Doug Conner

Peak Putters: Jose Ybarra, David Connell, Tim Booth, Rob Ludwigson, Josh Aldous, Dave Walters.

Eastern Washington Adventures: Doug Palmer and Kevin Elliott.

One notable MIA missing from the fence repair, but in on the recon, was Gary Harting of the Rats, who had other obligations for the day.
Dave

Quote:

Return to “Recent Run Reports - Peak Putter Club Runs”