Tricity Herald article on stuck truck discussion

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:41 am

HOLY CRAP!! I did that EXACT same thing in 1988 in that same spot!!! Well, one gully North. . .

Nobody called anybody then. In fact, the only attention I got was an a$$ chewing (well deserved) from Poppy and constant ribbing to this very day from my siblings.

Good times. . .Good times. The extraction is pretty difficult, but there have been so many fires up there that the "damage" to the land is negligible at best. That whole area used to be sagebrush and now it is just grass. . .wonder why?

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:51 am

oddball wrote:No doubt this web page and this thread will get some guest visits from the Badger Mtn. trail users and their type, once our name is in the press. The truck has to be removed. Getting it out will cause more damage in their eyes but I'm sure we can come up with tread lighty ways to minimize that. No matter how it's done, there will be plenty of second guessing by back seat enviromentalists who think they had a better idea.

Basically, we need to use the biggest fluffiest tires we can find to minimize contact pressure so the ruts don't show up in photos too much. What kind of tires are on the Chevy? It might be a good idea to find some big, flat tires for that too. If it can be made to roll, having it roll over carpet remnants or plywood might be an option.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:24 am

Good thought on the tires. It sorta entered the vacuum in my head, but not long enough to get out again :roll: The Chebby has 31's on it, and one is flat according to the owner. The county wants to try to take it out the way it went in, not down the gulley, but that may not be an option. We'll see. Jim, I'll send your ideas along to Adam Fyall.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:06 am

Shouldn't be a biggy to get it out the way it went in.. Not like he went off the side of a mountain or something... :lol:

I've got spare tires for that truck if he does not, I can probably get as many sheets or 1/2" OSB as you could want to keep the "environmental impact" at a minimum...

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:07 am

Dave, before you get too excited about doing much, might want to take a walk up there first.
Just for reference, that walking path is about 24" wide and dug into the hill, looks bigger in the picture.

OK, now the question is does this truck have tow hooks on the front?????

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:07 am

You go scumby...that would be a great way.

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:09 am

bobracing wrote:

If not it'll get some.... I have a few hanging around the shop...

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:19 am

Danny wrote:You go scumby...that would be a great way.

I more than understand you guys being annoyed, but if we can get the youngster to see the light, maybe he'll work out. I pretty much hit him right between the eyes with reality, and the money will get his attention, too. Don't think this will be the high point of his life so far...
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:20 am

bobracing wrote:Dave, before you get too excited about doing much, might want to take a walk up there first.
Just for reference, that walking path is about 24" wide and dug into the hill, looks bigger in the picture.

WALK :!: Now that will get me excited :shock: Not something my arthritic old body likes...
Dave

Quote:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:40 am

One thing that we probably need to insist on is that we do the extraction at an undisclosed time before it gets out that we are involved. We'll take our own photos and we'll make the owner do all of the heavy lifting.

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:53 am

WORD! I'm guessing either butt crack of dawn or high noonish to limit the amount of people there staring at the extraction....

So should I take the rope off and put the old cable back on to make his lesson just that much more memorable? :lol:

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:01 am

During the week would probably keep most gawkers away but I know it's very inconvenient for most.

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:03 am

I'm available on fridays 99% of the time.... How about sunday morning?

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:24 pm

Still gotta get the county's blessing on how we plan to yank it out...
Dave

Quote:

warrpath4x4

Postby warrpath4x4 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:48 pm

if theres no tow hooks, i have a couple rings that have like 4 different attaching points on them from when my dad hauled cars. theres one that just hooks through the stock oval holes in the frame.

also if we winch it i have like a 19,000lbs snatch block.

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:50 am

I'm thinking if they allow us to go in with a truck to get that thing out, we should probably have at least two rigs there just in case.

So we have Trashy's truck on 42's..... who else is running big tires??

:mdr .....I just had to lol at a thought I just had. I know we are all concerned with the ground and such getting tore up while doing the extraction. Especially the people who don't have a clue about doing said extraction ..... I can't wait to see the look on their faces when we show up with a few trucks on huge tires. I can just hear the "monster truck" comments now...... :mdr

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am

My bronco is on 37's but I can only do it on the weekends.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:14 pm

If you're going to the meeting, hope you like walking. The truck came over the top, so that is 1.1 miles worth of trail and 800ft elev change, you will be sucking wind. Grumpy was talking about getting it back over the top, the way it came in. Now this does NOT include walking down to the truck at the bottom of the canyon or across the top looking for where he came in.

I'm still under the impress down the bottom is best and will do the least amount of damage but I'm not a power that be.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:30 pm

So, this may leave me in the role of long distance stoopidvisor :roll: There ain't no how this old body can walk that far without caving in :shock: My hips and legs won't take it :oops:
Dave

Quote:

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Sounds like we need to find a rascal for ya grumpy.... Should start checking the senior citizen classified on craigslist... :nananère

Oh, I picked up a 31" spare from my parents today just in case...

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:12 pm

I am sure we will get something figured out Grumpy. It's not going to be easy for me either....lol. Damn hikers!!

I will be bringing my camera and I can always bring the laptop so we can upload the pics right there so they are more easily seen.

I may just run up there before Wednesday and see what we are getting ourselves into.....lol. If I do I will take the camera with me.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:16 pm

I'll try it, but no guarantee I won't fall over :wink:...Trashy, it's a Hoveround or nothing :twisted:
Dave

Quote:

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:06 pm

Just an FYI here folks. Weekends are probalby not a good idea for this, even at the butt crack of dawn. That trail is pretty used during the weekends and a lot of folks do it EARLY in the AM. To minimize the crowd I recommend a weekday, and not Friday's either because lots of folks get Friday's off.

Also, I don't think taking it out up over the top is the way to do it either. I've done a lot of rigging and extracting during my dive rescue days and believe me, taking it out over the top will cause WAY more damage than the greenies will tolerate.

Down hill would probably be best but then you have the issue of control during it's downward desent.....no power, no brakes, no control.

Just my 2 cents!

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:07 pm

in an earlier post someone had mentioned using planks or plywood to run the vehicle on to minimize damage to the terrain. i have some (3) aluminum runners? that i have always wanted to try to use for traction or to get unstuck from snow or deep mud. in the link below it shows a similiar design to what i have. mine are about 5 foot in length. if you would like to try these you are more than welcome.

if they get damaged no big deal, that just means they would not have worked for me either. if the rig is sunk in the mud it may be worth a try to tie off the suspension, to prevent it from flexxing, jack up the rig and place these under the tires. then roll the rig out of the holes.

if you are interested in looking at them call my in-laws, they are living in our house, and tell them i said you could borrow them. 628-3623. they are on one of the trailers.

they are similiar in dessign to the first ones pictured

http://www.nilesexpandedmetals.com/nem/stairtreads.asp

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:02 am

Might be worth a try Scumby, thanks!

So does this mean this is now an international effort? :lol:

Return to “General BS Area”