mtnbound

Tricity Herald article on stuck truck discussion

Postby mtnbound » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:56 am

John
'87 Sami

www.wazuks.com

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:09 am

Bad decision yes but I can see his point too.... its fawking sage brush woopty doo. They are blowing completely out of proportion on the impact to the land. Winch the rig out, hand him a rake to fill in the ruts and by next summer no one will have a clue anyone was ever out there. :roll:

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:24 am

Wow this guy is making us look bad. Damn greenies group all 4x4 rig drivers as we are the same as the bad ones.

tenikiwon2

Postby tenikiwon2 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:35 am

I don't understand the magnitude of the problem, but I'm kinda with Trash. if it could be cleaned up that easily it'd be nice to see the Peak Putters volunteer for the task as long as good press would follow. Then put a few signs/gates with a logo letting people know if they want to 4-wheel then they should do it properly. However just feel reading the story, I smell beer! LOL

mtnbound

Postby mtnbound » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:37 am

years and years ago I used to go up there just to look at the lights. Once the sign and gate went up I quite.

In my opinon this is a classic case of uneducated users and most likely adult beverages.
John

'87 Sami

www.wazuks.com

tenikiwon2

Postby tenikiwon2 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:38 am

ah so there IS a sign!

mtnbound

Postby mtnbound » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:41 am

And a GATE...........at least there was the last time I was by
John

'87 Sami

www.wazuks.com

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:05 am

We WILL be getting involved. Already started the ball rolling in the member's section.
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:20 am

Do it on a weekend and I'm sure we can come lend a hand.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:20 am

White trash wrote:Bad decision yes but I can see his point too.... its fawking sage brush woopty doo. They are blowing completely out of proportion on the impact to the land. Winch the rig out, hand him a rake to fill in the ruts and by next summer no one will have a clue anyone was ever out there. :roll:

Okay, lighten up here, Sparky! We may know it'd be fairly easy to fix some of it, but we're dealing with a bunch that has a fairly weak grasp of reality in that regard. It' now up to us to get proactive and help fix it, then educate the knothead that did it!! And guess what it being smack in the middle of the front page is gonna generate? BAD PRESS!!
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:52 am

fairly weak grasp of reality

I'm thinking this is an understatement.

"Lifting the truck out with a helicopter is likely the only solution that won't cause more damage"

How much fuel, "green house gases", and disturbance in the force would the wind off the blades cause.
"Not only has he torn up a big part of the mountain, we don't know if there's transmission fluid, oil, brake grease or more leaking out," Fyall said.

I'm sure the minor amount that it leaks is going to disrupt the mating dance of the north american zebra.
Replanting of native vegetation will take a while

isn't this what the birds and bees are for?

and then don't forget to read the reader comments.

OK rant off
but if it comes up you need help, I'm here. And yes I'm guessing "IF" someone is allowed in only a very few rigs will go, so I have this fine tuned skills of pulling cable.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:56 am

Alrighty, kids, I just got off the phone with Adam Fyall from Benton County. We have a tentative meeting set up next Wednesday at 10 AM with Adam, Jim Langdon from Friends of Badger Mountain, and myself to go up and assess the damage some more and see if getting the truck out is something we want to attempt. So, if any of you extraction pros would like to join up, you'd be welcome. There is some work to be done such as rebuild a retaining wall and clean up some of the other damage. More detail as it comes in...Additionally, a caveat I put on us helping get the rig out is that the owner go thru a "Tread Lightly" program!
Dave

Quote:

White trash

Postby White trash » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:00 pm

My junk still moves under its own power and of course i have a winch and gobs of recovery equipment. I'll bring a rake to fix the "damage" too...

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:04 pm

White trash wrote:My junk still moves under its own power and of course i have a winch and gobs of recovery equipment. I'll bring a rake to fix the "damage" too...

:mrgreen:
Dave

Quote:

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Right on guys! I would help if I was closer.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Have been contacted by the truck owner's wife. She has had it explained to her that they will suffer the ramifications involved, they will learn about Tread Lightly, or we don't touch the truck. Also, have asked Adam Fyall about absolving us for any incidental damage to the truck during removal.
Dave

Quote:

sams88

Postby sams88 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:42 pm

Love that UK term, "sticky wicket" as that's definitely what this is. Biggest problem here is people on both sides of the fence dealing with this with a bit of reality. Two ways to get that vehicle out, 1) is the as mentioned helo, and 2) is running it out through the bottom of the ravine gully. However the 2nd involves driving, which according to the news article the county won't allow. But staying within the gully where nature has put the rocks and where the runoff occurs is where the least further damage to the landscape as the ground should be more firm. But would have to look at the place to see. So I'd be happy to go with you to the meeting Grumpy and hopefully bring along an "extraction" friend for his opinion too. But if the county or whoever isn't going to allow any other vehicle(s) in there to assist in getting the stuck vehicle out, then it really isn't something that we are going to be able to help in. They are then basically stuck with getting it lifted out of there.

Whether the guy knew or didn't know what he was doing is rather moot at this point. Our involvement should just be to try and help get it out if we can, and to try and minimize any damage as best we can within reasonable limits. Just my humble thoughts. :)
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm
88 yota p/u

mtnbound

Postby mtnbound » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks for jumping on this Dave! Im here to help, we need positive press :D
John

'87 Sami

www.wazuks.com

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:49 pm

Guess we'll find out how close we can get to it Wednesday! I think I've got the owner coming, too. We can restate the "rules' to him then...
Dave

Quote:

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:02 pm

We being the adventurous type tonight I went and looked at this, a little different place for a walk too.
Dave, you better have you walking shoes on for Wed, it is a pretty straight up shot right at first and climbs steady from there.

I'm not sure how he got it in there, tracks at the top but really didn't see them at the bottom but it's pointed uphill in a "canyon". Also looks as they were trying to back down and got the one side stuck against the canyon side.
Not being the most knowledgeable and not knowing the limits of the powers that be, looks to me, one well equipped rig with a winch could get the truck unstuck. This would also require the truck to be backed down the canyon a ways until it could be turned around.
I'm also sure this isn't going to be popular asking to drive another rig in period but the canyon exits at the walking trail head too. A few rocks might get dislodged getting a rig in there, but on the other hand, if we get any kind of wet winter, no one will every know it was in there. OR just hand him WT's rake.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:27 pm

Wow that's a serious rut he cut into the beautiful mountain side.... oh nevermind, that's the hikers trail.

The guy was obviously in the wrong, but I still like WT's rake idea :lol:

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:43 pm

Grumpy I will make sure that I can attend that meeting with you. Trashy won't be able to make it, but I will bring the camera so I can show him what we are up against from start to finish.

Where is the meeting going to be?

oddball
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby oddball » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 am

No doubt this web page and this thread will get some guest visits from the Badger Mtn. trail users and their type, once our name is in the press. The truck has to be removed. Getting it out will cause more damage in their eyes but I'm sure we can come up with tread lighty ways to minimize that. No matter how it's done, there will be plenty of second guessing by back seat enviromentalists who think they had a better idea.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:36 am

Curtis, I fear you may be right in some regard, but I felt it was the proper thing to get involved. My hope is that more will see it in a positive light. My conversations with the county rep have been quite positive. Hope that bodes well for this little project!

Peanut, we'll be at the end of Shockley Rd. above the Bethel Church on Keene Rd.
Dave

Quote:

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:13 am

take it out one piece at a time and deliver to the owner. minimal damage to the environment.

Return to “General BS Area”