Chains / Winter Driving

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

tenikiwon2

Chains / Winter Driving

Postby tenikiwon2 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Since this will be my first winter in WA I wanted to see if I could get some information on what to expect this winter.

First of all a little background on me. I originally lived and learned to drive in WI which sees good snowfall each winter, icy roads including black ice. WI doesn't have mountains.

The last 2-3 winters I spent in VA which sees little to no snow but when it does they have NO idea what to do with it. There is no clearing, salting, sanding, etc since the snow and ice are usually gone by noon and it only happens once or twice a season.

Since living here and now commuting to to Yakima from the Tri-Cities I've talked with several people who say anything from don't worry about it to DON'T THINK ABOUT DRIVING.

This weekend my wife and I are heading to the West side and it looks like Snoqualmie pass already has snow.

From what I can find online, vehicles under 10,000 lbs. don't need to have chains. They do however require a traction type tire and/or 4x4/AWD. However, it looks like if things really take a turn for the worse chains or 4x4 are require or even chains are required for all vehicles.

This leads me to my questions. First, how much are chains and were is the best place to get them. I'd like to be over prepared. Second, when considering highway driving, I don't see the point, or don't consider driving in 4x4 at highway speeds a good idea and usually prefer front wheel drive. In lower speed situations 4x4 is "obviously" great.

Let me know your thoughts, ideally from experience and let's try to avoid petty personal thoughts on what "should" be done.

Thanks!

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:22 pm

I would recomend snow tires for your car, I wouldn't worry about it for your truck. If the roads are slick enough that you need 4wd you shouldn't be driving at "freeway speeds". Just slow down and take your time. If your worried about it you can usually buy chains at walmart or swabs. What size tire does your honda have? I may have a set of chains you can borrow if you need em.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:28 pm

On chains, I'm pretty sure you can buy them at Les Schwaubs and return them at the end of the season for full price if you do not use them. Cheap insurance. If I was commuting to Yakima I'd have studs, or better yet, Blizzak (or Blizzak style) tires. You might want to carry chains for the passes, but good snow tires will get you between here and Yakima. I have been very impressed with the newer style snow tires, but get them off at the end of winter if you want to get a few seasons out of them. My .02.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:07 pm

If chains are required for non-commercial vehicles, 99% of the time the state patrol will let you by their checkpoint if you have four wheel drive and all season tires. If it gets any worse they usually close the pass. At this time of year if it closes, it is only for a couple hours to let the plows catch up. I used to drive to North Bend Wa every other weekend all winter to pick up my daughter----then drive her back. Now we fly her. In 9 years of doing that I have only been stuck on the pass twice in a bad storm. 3 hours was the most, but with the traffic back ups and slow going, it's about a 6 hr haul. As far as commuting to Yakivegas, freezing rain and ice on the road I think is your biggest worry. An outside temp guage is your best friend! If the road looks wet and you don't see any spray from your tires or from vehicle around you, I would definately slow down :shock:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

abnormaloffrd

Postby abnormaloffrd » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:48 pm

He guys quit the schwab stuff one of your own manages a firestone I could get into chains and tires all day long you want the best buy Blizzaks(not the observe or x-ice)and carry chains the good z-chains run 89.00 and can be returned if not used. by the way I origannaly logged on to night to inform members of a special event sale at Firestone on nov 16th Tires are being sold at 5.00 over cost and 12.99 per tire installation including road haz. Tri-cities call 509-735-1500 yakima 509-457-6191 & Me in SPOKOMPTON 509-924-7853. if this advirtisment isnt cool let me know just trying to let people know.By the way this includes are mt's and snows.(35's now availible)

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:26 pm

I have lived in this state over 19 years and never need chains or studded tires to go anywhere in Washington. M/S tires are needed to cross the pass a lot of the times. My wife has not ever needed 4WD to get to work and we have lived in the country most of our lives. Most of her cars were FWD.

This year maybe a problem for her just because of my steep driveway and her car is a low rider Honda.

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:17 pm

Dunno 'bout Firestone personally, but as RGR is tied direct to Goodyear, guess what :wink:
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

tenikiwon2

Postby tenikiwon2 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:37 pm

Thanks to all who have replied. Kinda what I was thinking the responses would be but the people I work with had me concerned.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:46 pm

Yea I wouldn't worry about getting chains, especially for driving between here and yakima.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:39 pm

If the road between here and Yakima is bad enough to need chains. . .they will close it.. .never happens. . .

Just watch the ice/freezing rain. That is definately the biggest problem in the Valley.

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:54 pm

To echo more of the same, I've lived here all my live...and trust me....that's been a long time, right OG?

I've NEVER had to put chains on going over the pass and have never been caught in one of the closures.

With that said, if you try to cross the pass when chains are "required" and you don't have them, 5-O WILL send you packin.

Between here and Yaktucky the worst conditions you could run into is ICE and what OG said goes there.

With all that said I own a set because I make monthly trips over the pass during the winter.
Forget your age and live your life!

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:31 am

Danny wrote: I've lived here all my live...and trust me....that's been a long time . . .

Danny, ya beat me to it! :lol:

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:48 am

Yeah, what OG said! :ouioui
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

tenikiwon2

Postby tenikiwon2 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks again. We made it over and back safely through the fog and rain. No snow on the roads but some in the shoulders.

Return to “General BS Area”