Tune Up / Blow Up

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Tune Up / Blow Up

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:46 pm

Okay, I now have the satisfaction of knowing I can change the plugs, wires, points, rotor, and cap on a 429 Caddy in an hour :curse: Wish everything was that easy to work on :glare: Now, do any of you kids have a dwell meter I can higrade for a while :?: Got a light. Can't gap the points the normal way on this critter :evil: Call if you have one :? 734-8694...Thanks :!: :!:
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:44 am

Dave,

I have one that I can loan you. I can drop it off at your place this afternoon if you are interested....Steve
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:04 am

That'd be cool :!: We're at 1018 S. Perry. Perry is half way between 395 and Union. Big gray house with a bunch of cars in the drive. You'll recognize my red Ford...
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:17 pm

OG, how are you with AFB's :?: :curse: :glare:
Dave

Quote:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:06 am

AFB? I thought it was a quadrajet?

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:58 am

'66 was last year for the AFB's on GM stuff. I think I found part of the problem. Looks like I got the primary throttle plates indexed too wide, so the idle is closer. Can't figure on the surge, tho, unless the metering rods are too worn. Can't seem to find new ones, and the step up pistons are worn, too. Gotta look at Edelbrock site to see what I can figure out...
Dave

Quote:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:39 am

I have an AFB in the garage that you can pirate parts out of as well. . .HOWEVER> > >I never did figure out my serging problem with it. It was as if the secondaries were sticking then they would open up all of the sudden and just jump. . .it doesn't do it with the fuel injection on the same motor so I know it was definately in the AFB.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:36 am

This thing doesn't seem to be transitioning from low to high flows very well. I drove it last nite, and it will buck a bit, then seems to clear it's throat and then runs okay. In fact, it pulls harder than ever now :smile:. Just got that stumble on getting into it. The metering rods in it are bigger than what Baxter has in stock, too! Go figure :roll: May check with ya later on that carb...BTW, I love it :!: Bunch of 4x4 crazy freaks trying to get a '66 DeVille to run :lol:
Dave

Quote:

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:02 am

Well, seems the extra fuel pump was the issue. It was dead. We think it was there as a band aid of some sort. The power wire to it was broken, the car still ran, so why the #### was it there? Likely never know. Steve yanked it out, I put a new stock pump, rebuilt the carb, new PCV valve, new fuel filter (It's in a glass bowl!!), points, plugs, ad nauseum, and it runs like a scalded cat now! I mean, it's one fast land cruiser :winkk: That extra pump was starving it at high revs by not turning. Lotsa fun! Thanks for ideas on things to check :thu2:
Dave

Quote:

Return to “General BS Area”