High Speed Internet Choices

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

High Speed Internet Choices

Postby Lud » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:56 am

Using clearwire at 1.5 meg download speed and want something faster as my two year contract with Clearwire expires this month. Costs 43 bucks right now a month and I can only put the modem in one spot in the house which sucks.

What do you guys use?

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:03 am

I too had Clearwire and switched to Charter 5Mbps after my Clearwire contract was up, was able to lock in 32.99 a month for two years with Charter. Much faster and not as latent as Clearwire. FYI when I attempted to cancel Clearwire they made me ship the modem to them and they wouldn't cancel my service until they received the modem in the mail. I tried taking the modem to the local clearwire store and they wouldn't even take it, said I had to mail it in.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:43 am

I'm having huge problems with my Verizon DSL. It has always been a bit slow, but now it is intermittent. If they don't fix it Monday (their forth trip out) I'll be going with Charter.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:35 am

I'm using Dish Network right now instead of Cable. Can I get high speed from Charter without getting Cable?

What about Quest? Anyone use that?

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:38 am

yea we have charter without cable tv. 10 meg is like $60 a month and it has only gone down once in 3 years and that was for an evening. :D

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:10 am

I have tried Clearwire, totally sucks at my house.

I paid the big bucks and went with Charter. I hate their customer service, but it is by far the best and fastest connection. I have internet service only, no cable TV.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:09 pm

The DSL thing totally depends on where you live. . .

I have 3meg DSL and it is pretty good. The only thing that I can say for certain is the Verizon's customers service is the WORST. They suck. They don't speak ingrish and they don't know how to fix anything. . .Now that I know that you can get Charter w/o buying cable TV. . .I may just look at that!

Clearwire sucks in my neighborhood and I know nothing about Qwest. . .tried to look into it when I got high speed to begin with but they didn't have service in my area.

Pocket iNet sucks donkey as well. . .we have them at work and when their antenae goes down, it is a disaster.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:59 am

FWIW, We have Pocket Inet at work -- going on three years. Great service, never been down during business hours. We are set up for 100mb/sec for $100.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:02 pm

I went with Charter. 35 bucks a month guaranteed for 2 years.

At 5mbps its over 3 times faster than my Clearwire (1.5mbps) and 8 bucks a month cheaper. Not bad. Had to ship the clearwire modem back to cancel my service after 2 years but I expected that.

Just got it installed today and no problems with my router.

For the computer savvy, what are the advantages in going with a wireless N router over my current DI-624 Dlink wireless G router?

Distance of the network? Speed?

Return to “General BS Area”