Transmission woes...

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

mattawajeep

Transmission woes...

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:40 pm

For those that don't know - my 3 speed auto (32rh) is having reverse problems. It takes awhile to engage when warm (keeps getting worse), and won't engage at all when it's cold.

Checked with the dealership - I can get a reman w/ 3 year 100,000 mile warranty for 1800 (400 dollar core charge, so thats ~2300 out of pocket). Oh, and a 5 week wait.

That's the route I'll probably go, but thought I might ask a few questions first.

Anyone have the tools to do diagnostic work (hydraulic pressure ect..)?

Been going over the service manual for the transmission and it seems to me that reverse slipping without any problems in first gear could simply be a leaking seal somewhere in the transmission. I just don't have the stuff to run the tests.

Anyone think it might be worth it to take it someplace to have it diagnosed? Seems to me it might be worth the money, especially with a 5 week wait for a new one. Rebuild kits are around $150 - and if it's something simple rather than catastrophic I might attempt to repair it myself.

I've converted the transmission section of the service manual to .pdf and stuck it on one of my servers if anyone is bored enough to look at it. The diagnostic charts for reverse problems are on page 15 and page 17.

Service Manual

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:01 am

What you've got there is a pretty garden variety TF999.

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/ ... ewall.html

You might see if Spaulding's in Spokane has one on the shelf that has been tested. Pick that up for a few $$$, swap it in, then undertake rebuilding the one that you have...

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:14 am

Looks like a fairly easy one to build. If you can pic up a used working one for a reasonable price and take your time to collect parts and build the current one.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

White trash

Postby White trash » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:45 am

If you look around enough you'll find a LOT of people swapping the xj aw4 into tj's. :wink:

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:59 am

White trash wrote:If you look around enough you'll find a LOT of people swapping the xj aw4 into tj's. :wink:

Also True. AND. . .not only that. . .but Toolegit has one of these for sale I believe. Being a fan of the site, I bet he'd make you a schmokin' deal. Trashy can probably show you how to make it work. GREAT tranny (Toyota stuff) and it is a 4 speed!!!

I bet that you could do the whole swap for a lot less than 1800. . .

White trash

Postby White trash » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:17 am

OldGreen wrote:
I bet that you could do the whole swap for a lot less than $500. . .

Fixed. :lol:

Cheap trans to buy, damned near bulletproof with a large cooler. Check out my buddy and former Peak Putter member that makes some sweet controllers and shifters for that series of trans at www.RaDesignsproducts.com

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:20 am

OldGreen wrote:You might see if Spaulding's in Spokane has one on the shelf that has been tested. Pick that up for a few $$$, swap it in, then undertake rebuilding the one that you have...

Checked out Spauldings, doesn't look like they have one in their computers. Left a message to see if they can find me one.

White trash wrote:If you look around enough you'll find a LOT of people swapping the xj aw4 into tj's. :wink:

Overdrive would be nice - though it looks like it would be a big pain.

1. The transfer case doesn't match up - though I think some people have been able to drill new holes in the housing.

2. The shaft on the transfer case is also too long, I've seen some chopped by hand - don't know if a new shaft can be bought.

3. Needs a computer and a bunch of re-wiring work (unlike my hydraulic trans), which is more of just annoying than anything else.

4. Will need a new trans mount - which will cause me more headaches later when I get to adding armor.

5. Might have to move/replace exhaust parts?

6. I think the AW4 is longer, so I may need new drivelines - and I will definately need S.Y.E. kit, as it's going to mess with the driveline angle.

7. And finally my gearing, it will definately have to be dealt with sooner rather than later. 3.73's, 35's, and overdrive probably don't mix well.

Seems like that will put me well beyond 1800 bucks - which means I don't have to money to do it all at once. If I go this route it may end up sitting for 6 months without being wheeled. I'll do some more research but right now it seems it would be a bit much just to get overdrive and a weaker transmission.
Last edited by mattawajeep on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:33 am

You're thinking too hard...

Swap the bellhousing, torque converter etc into the rig. No input shaft cutting needed. Run an xj shifter and hook up a handful of wires for the computer and the TV cable. Your t case should bolt right up and if not the xj cases are out there for $50 or less.

Personally I'd get a hold of someone parting out an xj and get all the stuff in one shot and be done with it. Your gearing to tire ratio sucks no matter what way you go and it didn't help your current trans survive now did it? :lol:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:50 am

White trash wrote:You're thinking too hard...

Swap the bellhousing, torque converter etc into the rig. No input shaft cutting needed. Run an xj shifter and hook up a handful of wires for the computer and the TV cable. Your t case should bolt right up and if not the xj cases are out there for $50 or less.

Gotta do some thinking. :lol:

I messed up and said torque convertor rather than transfer case on #2 above, brain musta been taking a nap. The aw4 should bolt right up to the engine, it's the TC that's the problem. So I would need a different transfer case, a new shaft, or do some cutting. Didn't realize the transmission could be shifted without a computer - that could simplify things though I am still left with possibly needing new drivelines as well.

White trash wrote:Personally I'd get a hold of someone parting out an xj and get all the stuff in one shot and be done with it. Your gearing to tire ratio sucks no matter what way you go and it didn't help your current trans survive now did it? :lol:

Definately agree there, it's just that my regearing fund is being raided to fix the transmission. Course I do have a set of 4.88's with master install kits for my axles.... I'll do some more thinking (it's how I roll) and see what turns up.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:02 am

I'm sure OG will ask his buddy aventeone what it'll take to swap the trans if you ask him pretty please. I know his shop has done many of these swaps.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:31 am

White trash wrote:I'm sure OG will ask his buddy aventeone what it'll take to swap the trans if you ask him pretty please. I know his shop has done many of these swaps.

Pretty please OG? Would be nice to hear what all it would take if I decide to go this route.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:23 pm

cRAP. . .

Thanks Ryan. Bastage. . .

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:33 pm

OldGreen wrote:cRAP. . .

Thanks Ryan. Bastage. . .

Oh man, don't want to introduce me to your friends? :lol:

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:50 pm

After a bit more research here's what I'm coming up with for prices and parts.

$600.00 - Super Short SYE & New Rear Drive Shaft
$200.00 - Front Drive Shaft
$150.00 - Short Input Gear for TC
$300.00 - 98-01 AW4 w/ TCU, Torque Conv, Flex Plate, Plugs, Shift Cable
$100.00 - Steel for new Trans Mount
$ 75.00 - Custom Trans Lines to cooler
$150.00 - Misc/Tools/ect…
$200.00 - Rear Adjustable Upper Control Arms

Total $1,775.00

I'm just guessing on the aw4 price & front drive shaft based on stuff for sale on the internet.

Need an AW4 from a 98-01 so that the computer will work - otherwise I'll be shifting, adding overdrive, and locking the torque convertor manually which sounds like a pain.

See anything I'm missing, and do you think the prices are out of line?
Last edited by mattawajeep on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:53 pm

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:02 pm

OldGreen wrote:Here's what I got. . .

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-1.htm

Found that one, I'm going through it right now.

There's these as well:

http://www.thebassetts.us/Jeep/AW4/AW4_ ... ge0001.htm

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/aw-4- ... tj-617416/

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:10 am

Thinking more about this:

I don't think that I would even bother doing the swap without doing the gears.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the stock transmission in your Jeep (other than the fact that it needs to be fixed of course). Honestly, I don't know that the "upgrade" would really be worth it. The only time I really see a huge benefit is in low range on fire roads.

*This is a result of my new "Less is More" philosophy. I'm too dumb to swap a lot of parts anymore.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:10 am

Damn stop over analyzing it man!

Aw4 with t case, driveline and all associated hardware including cooling lines can be had for under $400 any day of the week. Do your sye and cut down your stock front driveline and stick it in the back. Oh and you can save that $100 for fabbing a mount too. A chunk of scrap to move the holes back a touch is in the scrap bin, go look you'll find it.

Congrats I just saved you a pile of cash. :lol:

Edit:

I can agree with ya on most of that OG but the benefits are there with a nearly indestructible trans and the ability to have hill descent are good ones to have.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:54 am

OldGreen wrote:Thinking more about this:

I don't think that I would even bother doing the swap without doing the gears.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the stock transmission in your Jeep (other than the fact that it needs to be fixed of course). Honestly, I don't know that the "upgrade" would really be worth it. The only time I really see a huge benefit is in low range on fire roads.

*This is a result of my new "Less is More" philosophy. I'm too dumb to swap a lot of parts anymore.

Yeah, the gears definately need to be done. I have the gears themselves - just been waiting until I can afford a couple air lockers and the install fee. Maybe if I don't eat I can afford 1 for the rear and just go with that.

There are some other benifites, - I drive my jeep on the road alot - so the overdrive should help out there. Also, the stock transmission has the vent in a bad spot. If I got a new one, I'd relocate it and probably void the warranty. The AW4 already has a vent line.

White Trash wrote:Aw4 with t case, driveline and all associated hardware including cooling lines can be had for under $400 any day of the week. Do your sye and cut down your stock front driveline and stick it in the back. Oh and you can save that $100 for fabbing a mount too. A chunk of scrap to move the holes back a touch is in the scrap bin, go look you'll find it.

Would the front driveline have to be welded and balanced? Or is it grooved all the way through and can just be cut? Would this be safe for highway use? The front driveline is a lot skinnier than the rear.

As for the mount, I was thinking of building a whole new skidplate and adding some armor for the longer oilpan on the AW4 - but that can wait.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:29 am

Drivelines need to be balanced. You could just use XJ/Ranger front drivelines front and rear. . .sized correctly of course, but that would save you a huge chunk of change.

Toolegit86

Postby Toolegit86 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:53 pm

i have a 96 trans, 231, drive lines shifters for both etc, as for the trans i have no idea on condition, i drove it off the trailer and up the road, (parting 96xj)my father rebuilds them for cheap if needed, the aw4 is actally pretty simple,
make me a offer, i got it all for mine, but since i did not do the ho swap, i figure when i rebuild my 4.0 ill just do the trans to,
Camaro turbo lsx th400
06 Cummins "racetruck"
tj 1ton 40's 5.3 build

509 Crawlers on the facebook

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:22 pm

I like the Aw4 idea but if you really just want to put in what you've got, try this. This is a listing from 1997-2006 but I believe you have to email them which trans you have now. May be a nice alternative.

http://www.jeepsareus.com/p/JWTJ_EXTERIOR/152.html

Here's another route....

http://www.a1partsdepot.com/2000-JEEP-WRANGLER-Transmission-P348210.aspx

Well under the 2300 you're looking at for that 3 speed trans.
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

David448

Postby David448 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:49 pm

For what it's worth, I swapped an AW4 into my YJ.

What originally got me started was the fact that my TF999 was so friggin wide, it made it virtually impossible to get a front drive shaft up to my Early Bronco 44.

It didn't take much to convince me to do the swap, because as an XJ guy originally, I simply loved the tranny. Plus with my low gears (5.13s), the thought of an OverDrive was great.

Back when I did mine, there wasn't any of these fancy controllers or shifters available, so I had to wire mine in like it came from the factory.

After lots of schematics and time, I figured it out, and built my own harness. I had success of my first try, and the tranny worked flawlessly and shifted as if it was factory installed in my YJ.

I used my stock column shifter and just adapted the linkage, though lately I've been thinking about using an XJ floor shifter. What I have works, so I would have to be really bored.

I love my setup for sure, but I was in a bit of a different situation as mattawajeep. A TF999 wasn't going to work for me at all, and I was changing and/or getting lots of new things anyway (transfer case, drive shafts etc).

After that, I built several more of my custom wiring harnesses for John/Aventeone to use. One was on his Jeep. After that I got burned out on building them and I think it was about that same time they figured out how to do it themselves.

My 2 cents.

If you do the swap, I'll be here to help if there is need, but Stu's TJ writeup should be right on par.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:32 pm

David448 wrote:If you do the swap, I'll be here to help if there is need, but Stu's TJ writeup should be right on par.

Thats good to know. That writeup seems to cover just about everything but I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Wasn't that hard to talk me into this either. Overdrive will be very nice to have, and it forces me to get the danged thing regeared. Plus, I've been needing to get a SYE and CV driveshaft for the rear since I bought the jeep. Perhaps with OD, and the proper gears I'll get better than 12.5 MPG....

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:51 pm

mattawajeep wrote: Perhaps with OD, and the proper gears I'll get better than 12.5 MPG....

Good luck with that! That 2nd PP sticker is going to cost you at least a mile and a half.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Return to “General BS Area”