Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

What the?

Postby TJDave » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Planning a family vacation to HI.

Showing my daughter some sattelite views of Oahu. I zoomed in on Pearl Harbor and said we should take the tour.

She asked, "What is Pearl Harbor?" :shock: :shock:

I could not believe it. She is in the 8th grade at Tumwater School District and has never heard of it, WWII, or anything related.

At least she is getting good grades on whatever they are teaching her, but it seems to involve no American history.

Just thought I would vent here. :evil:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:49 pm

You're kidding?! And our schools are costing how much? Of course, there's teachers out there that, OMHO, are history revisionists, but not knowing about WWII?!?!
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Grumpy wrote:...Of course, there's teachers out there that, OMHO, are history revisionists...

Far more than just a few. The curriculum has changed, and they no longer teach history like they did when I was a kid. Their "history" is far more about the arts and entertainment worlds than anything else.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:06 pm

My ninth grader just completed a huge project on Holocaust Medical Experiments during WWII with over 100 sources. Not all public schools are created equally.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:13 pm

My folks took me to see the Arizona Memorial. Of course the tax payers paid for that trip via the US Navy.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:55 am

U.S. history was required when I was in school. So was world history and geography. What happened :huh:
Dave

Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon80

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:12 am

No child left behind act, teach to the dumbest kid in class so everyone passes.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:12 am

I am sure the curriculum is a little different on the left side of the state. :roll:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:31 am

It isn't JUST that. The EOC (end of course exam) is the same for the entire state once you get to high school. HOWEVER, they are pitifully easy for any kid with 1/10th of a brain.

Lori and I spend a huge amount of time working on our kids education. In fact, that is her full time job. It is a fact that you can get your kids a good education at a public school if you do the following:

1. PICK YOUR SCHOOL. Do research, figure out where the best school is locally and weasel your way in. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to live in a certain area to go to a certain school. Screw "fairness" and all that. . .this is YOUR kid and you want an unfair advantage.

2. Be involved every single day. Know exactly what is going on in every class. Use PowerSchool/EdMoto/etc.

3. Set extremely high, but achievable expectations and do NOT accept anything less than success. It is unimportant what any other child is doing. . .only yours counts.

4. Be even more involved.

It is a frickin' dog eat dog world and our kids are wearing Milk-Bone underwear. Add to that the fact that they are not wired correctly until they are 25 years old and it becomes obvious that the parents are the deciding factor.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:12 am

I hear what you are saying Jim, and I agree.

It is not easy with her being wisked away from the Tri-Cities to the wet side years ago. But that is another long story that I'll sum up with one word: Control. I'll spare the rest of the gory details. oh, Did I mention my daughter has a younger half-brother that has never met his Dad? Anyway,

I talk to her Dr. on a regular basis, and her school counselors a few times a year. I should probably do that more.

Luckily, she is a straight A student, and was very upset that she received a B+ on a recent project. She is in advanced math and reading classes. She is a member of the Drill Team and loves volleyball. This year, we bought her a membership to the Evergreen Junior Volleyball Club. Her skills have greatly improved, and her goal is to be on the varsity team in high school.

I could go on and on. I am very proud of her, and am thankful she seems to be taking the right path in life, so far.

It just floored me that she did not know anything about Pearl Harbor.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:28 am

It is pretty shocking. . .

:x

Don

Postby Don » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:47 am

Hmm ... I went through the Tumwater school district, graduated in 1999, and was very well educated on WWII and all other American History. Tumwater, of all areas on the west side, is fairly conservative. So, lets not generalize in our quick conclusions ... I do agree, our children should know our nations history, the fact it didn't happen in this case is disappointing.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 am

Don wrote:Hmm ... I went through the Tumwater school district, graduated in 1999, and was very well educated on WWII and all other American History. Tumwater, of all areas on the west side, is fairly conservative. So, lets not generalize in our quick conclusions ... I do agree, our children should know our nations history, the fact it didn't happen in this case is disappointing.

It isn't one school district in particular. . .or even one school. The problems go down to the level of the individual teacher. Also, you would be SHOCKED to see how much has changed since 1999 in public education. It is absolutely pathetic. Again, not picking on a district at all because I am only educated in the ones locally . . . but very generally, it is pretty sad. The double edged sword is that there are a lot of really bright kids that are being left behind because of "no child left behind". . .

The current leadership would have us ignore the high achievers so that the slackers don't get their feelings hurt.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:22 pm

I agree with Jimmy. My son, Dion, attends Kamiakin and has all A's, but he seldom has any home work. I don't understand how a Junior in High School doesn't have much if any homework. My nephew, Brian, attends Tri-Cities Prep. He has a ton of homework every night.

It seems to me that the public schools are teaching to the slowest students and letting the brighter kids idle along. College course work is going to be a shocker for Dion.
Last edited by SPR on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Daughter is a 9th Grader at Delta High and my son is in the High Cap program at Carmichael. . .

Homework is measured in hours per night. The least amount would be one hour and the most is up to 4 hours on a normal night.

All of the kids are in the same boat at Delta, but in middle school, you almost have to have your kids in High Cap to even think of preparing them for the next step. Everyone else just skates.

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:23 pm

The teachers/instructors are cheating our kids. My oldest went to pasco, subject math. She would get A's on all her daily work but when it came to tests, she would fail. At first we thought ah it's maybe "stage fright" but the reality of it all is (head of math dept) her teacher said to my wife and I that if it looked like they did their work he automatically gave them an "A". So my daughter thought what she was doing was correct, but then bombs a test. Talk about self-esteem. By the time and countless office visits with the principle and school board, I wanted that f(*^#^&s JOB. She did pass her class, but had to do some extra after school and weekends to get that grade. I'm pretty firm when it comes to my childs education and it just floored me when we found out how they ran things. As it stands now, my daughter is attending Legacy and is doing A+ work..... From HOME. She also attends Tritech in the pre-vet program.
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Even though this is a total hijack of Dave's thread it is completely worth talking about. As parents, it is our responsibility to make sure that our kids get a good education regardless of the crappy system. In my opinion, that gives them a huge advantage when.it comes time to compete for college and jobs.

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 pm

I agree with you, Jim. That's the game, get involved in your kids schooling, get em in something besides school as well. Can be sports or anything other than sitting on the couch yapping on a cell phone. Besides maybe they can milk a scholarship out of it. High School grads will have to be in a trade or college to get anywhere. It's just how it is.

My dad is a retired High School Biology teacher and my mom's glad to be retiring this summer from teaching computers at a middle school. They tell me all about how some important things are being left out of kids educations because they have to "teach to the test". Math, Reading, and Science with everything else left behind.

Schools can lose funding and teachers can get fired because of students who perform poorly (See WA states new teaching law) and have no drive to improve. (Mostly due to parents lack of interest) It's really sad that our education system has gotten to this point as we spend way more per student than other countries that are sending their kids HERE to be engineers and scientists.
Last edited by Lud on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:16 pm

OldGreen wrote:Daughter is a 9th Grader at Delta High and my son is in the High Cap program at Carmichael. . .

Homework is measured in hours per night. The least amount would be one hour and the most is up to 4 hours on a normal night.

All of the kids are in the same boat at Delta, but in middle school, you almost have to have your kids in High Cap to even think of preparing them for the next step. Everyone else just skates.

Hmmm, my oldest is in 9th at Delta also!
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:21 am

Not a hijack at all. This is exactly what I am talking about!
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:18 am

Lud wrote:
Schools can lose funding and teachers can get fired because of students who perform substandard and have no drive to improve. (Mostly due to parents lack of interest) It's really sad that our education system has gotten to this point as we spend way more per student than other countries that are sending their kids HERE to be engineers and scientists.

This is the key. . .

kenny24

Postby kenny24 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:05 pm

My daughter is in 6th grade and one of her close friends parents are teachers at her school and because I am involved I have gotten to know them quite well. At one of our many school functions I got a chance to talk with him for awhile and he told me that out of 115 students that he teaches only 5% of the parents take part in their students activities. This is the problem!!
If parents would just wake up and take control of what is going on in their kids lives these things would not be an issue. School today is nothing more then free day care.
If you want your kids to know about History, Politics, Geography, Science, and any thing else you need to teach them your self.
Kenny
97 ZJ
No honey, I brought it back in one piece..where did all that sand come from?

Return to “General BS Area”