Juniper Dunes Map?

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Beep Beep

Juniper Dunes Map?

Postby Beep Beep » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:59 am

Does anyone have a map of Juniper Dunes that has the parking areas and boundaries?

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:57 am

Have no clue :? May want to see if the BLM is smart enough to have anything. I'll do a search here in a bit...
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:01 pm

This is all I found for the BLM: http://www.blm.gov/or/news/files/JuniperDunesMap.pdf

It does not show any details.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:10 pm

Yeah, that'd be pretty much useless! I don't think Jim and Jose and them have ever done much sand running, so may never have come up. I get my way, there'll be regular sand play, as that's what I grew up with, and I love it :mrgreen:
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:04 pm

It would be nice to be able to show people where we plan to camp. There was some confusion about what was what with our members the last time we met up there.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:20 pm

Don't know where I'd camp out there. It's dry camp, so bring lots of water. I think the best area for being as out of the wind as a guy can get out there would be the first turn off after the road narrows. There's an area in a bit that has quite a bit of room. Give a holler at some point, and we can go do a recon. Right now I'm free of any time constraints. We can get with Jim & Jose for an afternoon if you want.
Dave

Quote:

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:40 pm

I know where I want to set up camp. I just would like to show others on a map. The area we plan to camp is away from the dunes. On Peterson road you have to turn at the first sign board and go back in there. You can camp back there and follow the power lines to the dunes with our toys. That area is new to me but I had some club members show it to me on the last run. They called it the second parking area. I called the big parking area over the dunes the second parking area. That is why we were in to different areas. :?

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:43 pm

Just don't try and tow a trailer on the powerline road. . .LOL

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:49 pm

OldGreen wrote:Just don't try and tow a trailer on the powerline road. . .LOL
Right. :D We are going to use the powerline road to get to the dunes with the ORVs.

toyman2

Postby toyman2 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:21 pm

where Top and i parked is where we want to camp.
most of us call it the 1st parking lot,it will also be nice for the kids to ride bikes and run around while we hang out.
it is also better for the rigs to go out to the road to get to the dunes,the other way is nothing but woops and it would take forever in a truck.
last time we went out there we saw about 1/8th of the land out there.

oh yea i plan on camping

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:36 pm

toyman2 wrote:where Top and i parked is where we want to camp.
most of us call it the 1st parking lot,it will also be nice for the kids to ride bikes and run around while we hang out.
it is also better for the rigs to go out to the road to get to the dunes,the other way is nothing but woops and it would take forever in a truck.
last time we went out there we saw about 1/8th of the land out there.

oh yea i plan on camping
I think we are talking about the same area to camp. I only saw where Bobstar and Luna was parked. I don't know if you guys parked near them but we were thinking that area to camp. Luna took us down the power lines to where they were parked. Can quads be on Peterson road?

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:33 pm

I scanned in a copy of a map I had from 2002. It's not much better but here it is:

http://www.peakputters.com/documents/junipermap02.pdf

They used to have these maps available at a sign in box at the gate to the wilderness area. We used to park there sometimes when hunting in the wilderness area, I always thought it was kind of dumb to have that sign in box there because it's a little little road to get there and you need 4 wheel drive to get to it. Most people park at a spot farther north to access the wilderness area. I think there is still a sign board at that gate but i don't think they keep it stocked with sign in papers anymore.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:49 pm

Ceg, If you compare the two maps, you'll notice the newer map shows the first "?" further South on Peterson Road. This is the road that leads straight to the powerlines and along the fence to the dunes. For the last few years, that had been the only way into Juniper. Peterson road was blocked off with signs shortly past that point. The older map shows the first "?" and "P" a little farther North on Peterson, this is where your group was parked and we met you on March 17th. The 3rd "?" on the map is that big parking area where you can look out and see everyone playing on the dunes. A lot of people camp there but I wouldn't, way to sandy and windy.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:53 pm

That does help a lot. Your map has the power lines and that is a great land mark. Thanks for posting the map and pointing out the different places.

We are planning to turn at the first "?" on the new map and camp down that trail. Last time I parked right off Peterson because I couldn't get my 2 wheel drive tow rig to the second "?" on the new map. I thought that is where the other where going to park. I never knew about that area the down from the new "?" until I was unloaded. That looks to be the best place to camp.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Good job. I have it saved, and will put a copy in the red truck.
Dave

Quote:

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Ceg wrote:That looks to be the best place to camp.

Yea I think so too.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Tue May 01, 2007 3:50 pm

commando14, thanks for the map.

This is the best I can do with the map until I get to know the area a little better. This should help people find our camp.

Let me know if I did something wrong or need to change something.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Tue May 01, 2007 5:24 pm

Looks good to me :wink: .

Return to “General BS Area”