good dutch oven starter recipe

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

colemancooler

good dutch oven starter recipe

Postby colemancooler » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:57 pm

I am a dutch oven novice :? and I am looking for a good recipe to try out this weekend Because of the fire regulations I will not be using charcoal, or an open fire, just my camp stove. The man quiche was Awesome :thu2: , but all I remember is a can of everything and whatever everyone brought
shindig wheelers #36

Nukegumby

Postby Nukegumby » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:11 pm

I've got quite a few Dutch over recipes, but I don't know what impact cooking without coals will have. I've never used it on a camp stove. What kinds of food do you like?

-Mikey-

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Dutch oven without charcoal won't cook correctly supposed to have heat from everywherenot just bottom. I know my cakes wOuldn't for sure as that what I mainly use mine for

toyman2

Postby toyman2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Yep, must have heat on top to use as an oven. Otherwise it is a pot. Here is one; 2 cans apple pie filler, spice cake mix on top, 3/4 can 7/UP poured over the top. Or another; cheery pie filler, chocolate cake mix over that with some cheery coke on top of all that. For both, good solid ring of coals on top and about 6-8 under, let cook till it smells dam good and cake is set, about 45 min.

How about a Tri Tip, slice onions and layer the bottem of the oven, season meeat with Koasher salt pepper place in oven. Little more than a ring but not a full top of coals and 8 or so under, cook around 1 1/2-2 hrs. Or just do bake potatos with about the same heat but half the time.

colemancooler

Postby colemancooler » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:30 pm

I made taco soup, in my dutch oven and it was delicious, It only required browning of the meat then adding the other ingredients and simmering

i found the recipe here http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-recipes.asp
shindig wheelers #36

Return to “General BS Area”