Positive camber

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Positive camber

Postby scumby » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:35 am

So when I get back I have to deal with positve camber issue on my Jeep. I've found 2 possible remedies, shims between the knuckle and the spindle or ball joint bushings. I should probably mention that it's a '78 high pinion 44 out of Ford with Chevy knuckles. I don't think that has anything to do with the camber issue. It was more than likely the welding on of the TNT axle truss. I suppose this could cause a positve camber? So my question is how do I measure how much positive camber I have so I know what to order to make repairs? Any thoughts?

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 am

i would check for housing straightness, my money would be the housing bent when welding on, cut the truss down the middle, chain out by the knuckles and a bottle jack in the midle of long tube, add lower truss and reweld the cut

ill find the pirate thread that the guy fixed his dana 70

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:37 am

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:53 am

Not sure I want to cut my truss in half. Rather do one of the first 2 options.

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:49 pm

i would go with balljoint bushings over shiming the spindle

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm

79chevy39.5's wrote:my money would be the housing bent when welding on,

I have seen this happen with my own eyes. Kinda sucks. . .

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:10 pm

I dunno man, I think if I found the housing was tweaked I'd be inclined to fix that vs. going with a bandaid-ish repair. Any reason you're not keen on cutting the truss and re-welding it? I mean, it's only metal :lol:
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Chrispy

Postby Chrispy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 pm

Just my 2cents. Sense you don't know where it is I would start with having it checked out on a alignment rack.
HE TOOK THE BYPASS?? YEAH ITS A JEEP THING.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Chrispy wrote:Just my 2cents. Sense you don't know where it is I would start with having it checked out on a alignment rack.

will they even touch it since it's not the original axle? not sure how alignment machines work but will my rock rings be an issue on my beadlocks?

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:48 pm

Should go right on. Most places don't really care that it's been modded. They just see it as more chance to upsell broken stuff.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:00 pm

tobyw wrote:I dunno man, I think if I found the housing was tweaked I'd be inclined to fix that vs. going with a bandaid-ish repair. Any reason you're not keen on cutting the truss and re-welding it? I mean, it's only metal :lol:

let's say I were to cut the truss, how do I determine where to cut. I would assume the cut would be near where the tweak is if that can even be determined. here's a pic of the axle and truss.

Last edited by scumby on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy

Postby Chrispy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:13 pm

scumby wrote:
Chrispy wrote:Just my 2cents. Sense you don't know where it is I would start with having it checked out on a alignment rack.

will they even touch it since it's not the original axle? not sure how alignment machines work but will my rock rings be an issue on my beadlocks?

Call and talk to dustin @ casaday beeline in Pasco tell him what you got and what your trying to achieve.
He's a wheeler as well so he'll understand.
HE TOOK THE BYPASS?? YEAH ITS A JEEP THING.

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

I'd cut those welds across the bottom of the truss then do the chain, bottle jack dance. Once it's straight clamp the truss down to the housing and reweld it. in SHORT stitches and allow plenty of time to cool between welds.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Maybe it's an illusion but it looks bent just sitting there in the picture.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:56 pm

It looks tweeked near the TT stamp. Probably the camera angle.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:14 pm

i would cut between the tt and the right side upper

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:02 am

SPR wrote:It looks tweeked near the TT stamp. Probably the camera angle.

I agree it does but that would be negative camber, I have the tops of the tires tilted outward (pos camber)

rennat_2006

Postby rennat_2006 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:17 pm

I was talking to my les schwab guy when he was out doing some work on the fleet at work and he said it wouldnt be a problem to throw my solid axled blazer on there to get measurements if i wanted to. The reason why i was asking him about it was because it appeared that my front tires looked like this \ / a little bit looking at it from the front about 30ft ahead of it, same deal hp d44 with chevy stuff knuckles out. I never bothered since mine doesnt see street time but might be worth a shot to talk to them(clearwater store) if you want a idea of where it sits.

I would think the welding would pull the tops of the tires towards each other if anything not away.
2000 Zr2 Blazer with HP Dana 44. 4.88's, 36's, Beadlocks, Welded rear, SYE, CV driveshafts...

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:00 pm

For the record a toe problem can also cause them to look that way.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Lurch,
i checked and or adjusted that (1/8") when i put the axle in. what about caster i've never gotten an official measurement on that either.

rennat,
maybe it's a ford/chevy combo causing it. i'll have to get it on a machine when i get back. i probably just have my 500 mile break in on the gears so i haven't seen any tire wear but would hate to. i'll probably be driving mine back and forth to the trails so i'll need to get it fixed.

Jay W

Postby Jay W » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:31 pm

The right way to check is put an axle alignment bar through it. It doesn't matter what it looks like on the outside. You need the centerline of the bearings and the end of the tubes to be the same. From there they do make eccentric bushings for the ball joints.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Chrispy wrote:
scumby wrote:

Call and talk to dustin @ casaday beeline in Pasco tell him what you got and what your trying to achieve.
He's a wheeler as well so he'll understand.

Chrispy, thanks for the recomendation. took it in today and they verified that i do infact have a positive camber issue. manufacturer spec say -.8 to +.4 camber. mine is passenger +.8 and driver +.4 so the driver side is at the upper end and the passenger is +.4 past the upper end. he said to give it a couple thousand miles and bring it back. since everything is brand new he thinks as things loosen up it may fall into specs. he desn't think it should create tire wear issues.

as it was a 4 wheel check he said the rear end had a thrust angle issue but it was not significant enough to worry about. driver side is at +.16 degrees and passenger is at -.19 degrees. me, i didn't know what thrust angle was so he explained it as ne tire is slllllightly frward of the other.

i also had a toe in issue that they corrrected. i was towed in by about a half an inch more than i should have been.

so bottom line, i'm driving and need to break it in.

Return to “General BS Area”