Differential Cover vs. Glide Plate

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Rottwheeler

Differential Cover vs. Glide Plate

Postby Rottwheeler » Tue May 13, 2014 8:09 am

I had great fun bouncing around on the 2' to 3' rocks at Schwartz Canyon... but I realized that I still have a weakness that I have not protected my rig from. Those intermediate size rocks had a tendency to move around a bit as I rolled onto or off of them. What appeared to be a good line for protecting my diffs changed under me and I banged them pretty hard a few times. So... in preparation for running the Rubicon trail next month, I am going to add some diff protection and am seeking your opinions...

Should I use a sturdy diff cover... or a diff glide plate?
Rottwheeler
White 13' JKU Rubicon, 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex suspension, 3:73s, 35" Nittos on American Racing ATX black faux bead locks... for now.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue May 13, 2014 8:23 am

I have an opinion. Up front I'm running the Warn 1/2 skid cover, because it is supposed to not interfere with the steering. In the back I am going to run the Riddler cover. It is heavy duty, is recessed as to not effect the Rubicon locker mechanism, and the price was right considering what other heavy duty covers cost. To be honest, my decisions were based on web-wheelin' and not based in real life, 'cause I have not wheeled with them on yet. So, my 2 cents might be worth half of that.

(Riddler paint job is all me.)
Last edited by iaccocca on Tue May 13, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Tue May 13, 2014 8:38 am

I had the same question a few years ago and researched a little. Depending on your particular steering setup and suspension, you could run in to clearance problems with most aftermarket diff covers. Up front it's the trackbar that will usually hit at full stuff.. Out back could be the gas tank skid or trackbar.

A wise old Jeeper told me when I was picking up my rear axle I bought from him years ago..
I asked him if I should get a fancy cover for it. He said he runs Johnson Valley regularly and wouldn't bother with a rear cover unless he decided to start running it in reverse :lol:

OEM cover with a half guard or a Barnett cover give the best clearance up front.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue May 13, 2014 4:22 pm

http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=75

I've ran covers like this and bounced them hard off of rocks with zero issues.

Dryside

Postby Dryside » Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 pm

How about a decent spotter? :roll:
92 YJ
88 XJ (Son's project)
75 Power Wagon
09 JKU (Balloon Animal)

White trash

Postby White trash » Tue May 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Dryside wrote:How about a decent spotter? :roll:

Spotters aren't handy at all times so it's better to be prepared than not. :wink:

Rottwheeler

Postby Rottwheeler » Wed May 14, 2014 5:25 am

Dryside wrote:How about a decent spotter? :roll:

Sometimes the spotter lines you up perfect... and then the rock moves! :twisted:
Rottwheeler
White 13' JKU Rubicon, 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex suspension, 3:73s, 35" Nittos on American Racing ATX black faux bead locks... for now.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Wed May 14, 2014 5:44 am

I hit a rock so hard, hidden in the snow last winter with the front diff it stopped the Jeep, and I was flying... heck the speedo was just about to start reading.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed May 14, 2014 8:06 am

If a cover hits the steering you can always take a grinder to it.

Rottwheeler

Postby Rottwheeler » Wed May 14, 2014 8:19 am

So... no votes for the glide plate so far eh? :o

I was thinking it was a viable alternative since it protects both the diff cover and the rest of the housing and u-joint area...

I've got a monster track bar that does limit the space a new front diff cover could take. Maybe the 1/2 cover is the right way to go on... thanks Lee. :-)
Rottwheeler

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed May 14, 2014 8:42 am

Rottwheeler wrote:So... no votes for the glide plate so far eh? :o

I was thinking it was a viable alternative since it protects both the diff cover and the rest of the housing and u-joint area...

I've got a monster track bar that does limit the space a new front diff cover could take. Maybe the 1/2 cover is the right way to go on... thanks Lee. :-)

Some glide plates looks like they might actually help, and others looks like anchors. I'd with the cheaper option, I don't know if anyone has destroyed a front driveline running the trails we do out here.

A half cover is probably a good idea. This thread reminds me that I need to fix my own. Been like this for a year.

Return to “General BS Area”