Code reader for 2004 TJ

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Code reader for 2004 TJ

Postby TJDave » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:55 am

Anyone have access to one, or know where I could get advanced codes read? Preferably in Pasco as my Jeep is stuck in 2nd and can only do 35mph.
Something has told the Jeep to go into "limp mode". I disconnected the battery for a couple hours at camp Sunday to clear the code. Worked for about 1000 feet, then back to WTF mode.

The code that comes up when cycling the ignition is P0700. I've read this is just a generic code and could be a few different issues. TCM, PCM, tranny shift sensor, shift solonoid, or worst case... a fried tranny. :cry:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:07 am

Tranny fluid will tell you if it's a mechanical issue... Odds are very good it's just a sensor/module, but I'm sorry I can't offer any help on a reader, I've just got a generic one that I picked up at the O'Schmukzone several years back.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:11 am

Thanx Toby. Yep I checked the fluid in camp too. While running in neutral.
Full and didn't smell burnt.
At least that is good news.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:19 am

TJDave wrote:Anyone have access to one, or know where I could get advanced codes read? Preferably in Pasco as my Jeep is stuck in 2nd and can only do 35mph.
Something has told the Jeep to go into "limp mode". I disconnected the battery for a couple hours at camp Sunday to clear the code. Worked for about 1000 feet, then back to WTF mode.

The code that comes up when cycling the ignition is P0700. I've read this is just a generic code and could be a few different issues. TCM, PCM, tranny shift sensor, shift solonoid, or worst case... a fried tranny. :cry:

I've got a code reader that will pull just about everything from the PCM. However, there's a good chance that the transmission computer doesn't actually transmit the full information set to the PCM.

I'm thinking you probably need a transmission specific reader connected directly to the transmission computer, not the ODBII port, to get any more information than what the dash has, and those are generally a dealer only tool.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but the dealer should be able to tell you what's wrong.

ETA: It would be a really good idea to check all the wires and plugs going into the transmission. Make sure nothing is unplugged, broken, corroded or dirty.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:27 am

Thanx Dale. I'll check that stuff.
The Jeep only has a little over 50K miles on it. It's not even due for it's first tranny fluid and filter change for another 10k.
Hoping for the best.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:30 am

long read that eventually comes to conclusion and a fixed jeep after many trips to a dealer.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-non ... -work.html

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:48 am

Is your check engine light coming on? If so just about any code reader will pull codes. If it's a Trans light flashing it's most likely going to need a better diagnostic tool. I've got a universal one that can pull codes and give the definition of the codes. It will also monitor a few puss but nothing to fancy. When do you get home? I could swing by with it after work.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:53 am

Thanks Al. That was interesting! Sounded electrical all along.

Tim, I'm still working nights at the moment. I could limp it to your work.
Yep CEL is on.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Got a chance to look at my service manuals. I only have a 2005 TJ manual for the later years but I can't imagine it being much different, the transmission was the same.

Looks like the TCM is a submodule of the PCM. If it were me, I would unplug all the PCM connectors, its on the passenger side of the firewall in the engine compartment and check for corrosion.

Also, per the manual, to get any additional codes you need a DRB III Scan Tool, which China hasn't gotten around to hacking successfully yet so you're going to need an OEM tool.

I'm a bit busy right now, when I get time I'll read through the transmission section for any clues. In the meantime, I've uploaded the transmission section to my sever if anyone wants to have a look.

www.sonriseorchards.com/PeakPutters/200 ... ection.pdf

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Dave - I also have a full FSM for the 2004 if you want/need to read through any of it.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Thank you guys.
I gotta go to work now so I can't fiddle with it anymore today.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Did a bit of looking at the FSM, and it seems that aside from checking wiring, fluid, and shifter cables, a lot of the diagnostics rely on further codes from the TCM.

Here's a copy of the 42RLE Transmission Diagnostic Procedure Manual referenced in the Factory Service Manual.

www.sonriseorchards.com/PeakPutters/TJ- ... Manual.pdf

It has all the actual transmission codes and diagnostics stuff you'll need if you had a DRBIII scanner. Get the dealership to pull the codes, and look them up in the above manual. It might be a lot cheaper to mess with it yourself after you get the error codes if it's out of warranty.

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:26 pm

I have one of those bluetooth code readers for my phone, maybe I will deliver the shafts this weekend and see what it says.
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:50 pm

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:19 pm

Dale: Holy smokes! That's awesome. Thank you.

Kevin: We can try it. Is it a DRBIII reader? I guess I need one of those.

Al: Where you hinting I need a commuter car by posting that CL add?

Well you are right! I bought one yesterday. But not that Geo Metro. :lol:
A buddy made me a screamin' deal on his one owner 05 Altima. I had to take it.

I'm making my Jeep stare at it for awhile, and think about what it did to me last weekend! :twisted:

2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Unfortunately, I think a couple of brand new transmissions are cheaper than a DRBIII reader. You're probably gonna have to find a shop with one.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:12 pm

mattawajeep wrote:Unfortunately, I think a couple of brand new transmissions are cheaper than a DRBIII reader. You're probably gonna have to find a shop with one.

I think you are right. I borrowed a code reader from Gerald. Got an additional code that did not appear when I did the ignition trick. I also checked all the connections.

P0605. Still a generic code. The manual you sent, and everything I've read, says it's most likely the TCM, and a new one will need to be flashed by the dealer to get it set up. But, there is no way to tell for sure what is wrong without that stupid DRBIII reader. :evil: Figures.

So, I called the Jeep dealer. Looks like I'll be trailering the Jeep over there and giving them my bank account #. :(
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:24 pm

TJDave wrote:
mattawajeep wrote:Unfortunately, I think a couple of brand new transmissions are cheaper than a DRBIII reader. You're probably gonna have to find a shop with one.

I think you are right. I borrowed a code reader from Gerald. Got an additional code that did not appear when I did the ignition trick. I also checked all the connections.

P0605. Still a generic code. The manual you sent, and everything I've read, says it's most likely the TCM, and a new one will need to be flashed by the dealer to get it set up. But, there is no way to tell for sure what is wrong without that stupid DRBIII reader. :evil: Figures.

So, I called the Jeep dealer. Looks like I'll be trailering the Jeep over there and giving them my bank account #. :(

See if you can get them to just pull the codes first. They'll charge you, but could be a lot cheaper than giving them full reign.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:26 pm

I don't know about heep but most places typically diag for less then $100. Cheaper then throwing unknown parts at it.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:21 pm

have you dropped the tranny pan at least to look for metal shavings? as mentioned in the pirate thread.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Have not had time to drop the pan yet.
Lithia said they will run diagnostic first and we will go from there.
Leskovar does not have their DRBIII reader anymore...they say.
American transmission said they can diagnose it, they work on a lot of 42rle trannys, but he wasn't sure about the DRBIII. Kinda weird since you need it to program a new TCM. :?
No one else has that special reader.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:23 am

Have you pulled the regular CEL codes yet?

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:37 am

Yep. P0700 and P0605. Both generic codes that will not pinpoint the exact problem. :(
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:45 am

What's the code definition?

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:55 am

The 700 code is a general, there's a transmission problem code, and you need to check the TCM for transmission specific codes.

The 605 code is a ROM error code, which could be caused by a lot of different things, but in this case I'm guessing you have some sort of wiring issue, probably related to the transmission. That would be the optimistic outlook, and would solve both problems. Otherwise, something in the PCM is corrupted, which the dealer would have to fix, unless you want to start throwing parts at it.

Did you ever check and clean all the transmission wire plugs and PCM plugs?

There are probably several, and they can sometimes be a real mess.

Return to “General BS Area”