Code reader for 2004 TJ

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:09 am

Most likely the 605 was caused when he disconnected the battery.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:00 am

Lurch wrote:Most likely the 605 was caused when he disconnected the battery.

That's also a possibility, though not as fun.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:31 pm

I was really having a hard time accepting that I have to haul it into the dealer just to use their fancy code reader. Unsure of what is wrong, what they would of told me was wrong, what they would of charged me, etc. etc.

So Leonard was working on his Jeep at home a few blocks away.
It's an 04 auto. "GIMME THAT TCU!" :lol:

As soon as I started it, I noticed the overdrive light on the dash button working again. I drove it around for awhile, and everything was as it should be. All gears shifting normally again. No check engine light.

Unfortunately, he wanted it back! I put my fried tranny brain back in for the short drive home. Back to limp mode and the CEL came back on.

Problem solved! No fancy code reader or dealership needed. Now to order the part.

Donor Jeep.

The failed part.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:39 pm

change it to a 6 speed manual, no TCU involved but you'll still have a check engine light as I do.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Sweet. Nice when the right parts are right next door.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:06 pm

Here is the update, and outcome, for those who may run into TCM, PCM issues.

Auto Wranglers came with the 42rle auto overdrive tranny from 03-06.
They are controlled by the TCM, with sends it's info to the PCM.
03-04 TJ's have two seperate units: A TCM on the fender behind the washer bottle, and the main PCM behind the battery (3 ports). 05-06 TJ's have the TCM integrated inside the PCM, also behind the battery (4 ports).

Since mine is an 04, thankfully I just needed the TCM and not the whole PCM computer. If the TCM quits talking to the PCM, or the TCM detects some kind of fault, it will throw the Jeep in "limp mode", 2nd gear, Park, and Reverse only. I think it's designed so you can limp it to the dealer and get boned.

These TCMs are expensive, and can be a little hard to find. The original part # P56044764AA has been superseded by a new part #R6044764AB.
Prices for new or re-manufactured are all over the place, but at least $300 to over $500.
Ordering a new one will involve a core charge, plus programming at the dealer with their stupid DRBIII reader! Some online computer exchange vendors also have core charges. Most are re-manufactured units, and come pre-programmed with no trip to the dealer needed.

I called Olympic 4x4 out of Snohomish. (They are a PNW Trail Jam sponsor 8) ). They have it. They get them direct from AEV when they do their Hemi conversions. It's used, but probably not many miles on it. $100. I had it in less than 2 days.

I also called Davey's Jeeps, a big Jeep wrecking yard in Ohio. They have a whole ton of TCM's, PCM's, etc. etc. $10 bucks! I ordered one of those too for backup.

So to end this long story....
$100, 2 wrenches and 5 minutes. All fixted.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:33 pm

That's awesome, Dave, after a thread as long as the Rubicon Trail and tons of lost sleep....congrats.

Now I know why I like my standard trannies.
Forget your age and live your life!

Return to “General BS Area”