Windshield replacement

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Windshield replacement

Postby scumby » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Well since I finished off my windshield this weekend I did some calling around to get it replaced. received quotes from 4 different glass places in the area ranging from $195-$315 out the door taxes included. TJDave had mentioned he wouldn't mind a new one either so after I got my initial quotes I posed the question to each vendor, what if I wanted 2 jeep windshields done is there a discount? one place said they would eat the taxes if I wanted 2 done, another said $15-$20 off each but the third said $156 for mine and $162 for TJD's because his was somehow different for an '05. come to find out his is an '04 but I'm not sure if it's the same as mine. the email quote I received from saflite said $10 for disposal fee. my real total came out to $146. $65 for the windshield + $70 labor + $12 tax. this included the outside gasket. they said it did not include the inside but it looks pretty dang new to me.

thought I'd pass this along to anyone who might think they want a new windshield and it comes with a lifetime warranty. somehow I don't think that will work out so well and hopefully I won't have to find out.

rennat_2006

Postby rennat_2006 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Youll replace 2 safelite windshields in the time of one good brand like lof/pilkington or ppg. Safelite glass is cheap garbage and usaully has wavy spots,blurry spots, and cloudy spots inside of it that youll notice in certain light conditions and angles.

I did auto glass replacement for 4 years so ive seen all of the different brands.

Give oscar at pro auto glass a call and tell him tanner from central premix sent ya.
2000 Zr2 Blazer with HP Dana 44. 4.88's, 36's, Beadlocks, Welded rear, SYE, CV driveshafts...

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:32 pm

rennat_2006 wrote:Youll replace 2 safelite windshields in the time of one good brand like lof/pilkington or ppg. Safelite glass is cheap garbage and usaully has wavy spots,blurry spots, and cloudy spots inside of it that youll notice in certain light conditions and angles.

I did auto glass replacement for 4 years so ive seen all of the different brands.

Give oscar at pro auto glass a call and tell him tanner from central premix sent ya.

is that why they offer lifetime warranty?

rennat_2006

Postby rennat_2006 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:40 am

Ive never heard of any company putting a warranty on the glass itself. Usaully they put a lifetime warranty on the install in case of leaks.
2000 Zr2 Blazer with HP Dana 44. 4.88's, 36's, Beadlocks, Welded rear, SYE, CV driveshafts...

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:34 am

My new windshield looks great. What a difference. It's the first time my Jeep has had a perfect windshield since 2007. I've been slowly collecting chips and cracks for years, until it finally was too much to take.

Thank you Scumby for doing the legwork on the package deal. 8)

Tanner, that is great info. But, the deal was already done. We'll see how long this one lasts. If it's anything like the original, I could be calling Oscar in the near future. Next time, I don't want to look around cracks for another 7 years. :lol:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:49 am

I replaced mine when I did all the paint work. Amazing how much difference a new windshield makes.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

rennat_2006

Postby rennat_2006 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:44 pm

No problem just wanted to give ya a heads up.

You dont notice how pitted and stuff they really are until you get a new one!

Return to “General BS Area”