What's in the bag: Version 2.0

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

tobyw

What's in the bag: Version 2.0

Postby tobyw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:01 am

We had a slight issue on the trail this past weekend that required the removal of the inner axle shaft on one of the rigs. As a group, and with some creative efforts, the task was easily accomplished. But it left me thinking that if a person was to have this sort of issue while being less prepared and/or resourceful, it could turn into a pretty bad deal... We always talk about being prepared, taking along parts and tools, and knowing how to fix your junk, but how many of us actually walk the walk? As it turns out, we didn't have a suitable jack, we didn't have a flat jack base to keep things stabilized, and we didn’t have the proper tools to deal with the mangled hardware that needed to be manipulated. In the end, we got it done, but the lesson was (once again) learned in my own mind.

So, I’d like to just kick this thread out there for everyone to think about and maybe chime in with ideas, tools, and/or parts that can help make a bad situation more manageable. The idea isn’t to bring along your roll away tool chest and ¾ of the inventory from the local NAPA, but instead thinking along the lines of “less is moreâ€
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:17 am

are you saying a high lift wouldn't have worked in this situation? i used to carry spares in my old jeep but when it disappeared everything went with it. i do carry a decent tool bag, electrical hardware, fasteners, small pieces of chain/shackles and a bunch of other stuff. as time goes on i tend to weed out somethings that i haven't ever used nor have seen anyone else use. i am finding somethings associated with coil sprung rigs that i never experienced with leaf sprung rigs that i am now toting with.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:38 am

I typically carry a bottle jack and a piece of plywood. I don't carry a highlift unless we are running in snow. I always have a couple bike straps to strap the suspension to help get the tire off the ground faster. I try to carry a chain saw or at least make sure some one in the group does for those times we come across down trees. There are several other must haves that I typically carry but I'm at work and don't have time for a complete list.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:07 pm

I won't use a hi-lift in the snow. Period.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:09 pm

I've used mine multiple times in the snow. I hook it on my bead lock and lift the tire up then pack snow under it.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:40 pm

I carry a hi-lift at all times in my trail rig. They are dangerous and require respect, but they are often the best tool for the job. When I broke my front axle shaft, it was not in the best spot, it never is, but it was one of the tools for the job. But, we also used a bottle jack from another rig to lift the axle. The only tool I did not have for that job on the trail was a 12 pt. 13 mm. socket. Two of those are now in my kit. (One 1/2" one 3/8") Fortunately somebody in the group knew to carry one (thanks David.)
Any time you have a break on the trail, it is good to note what tools were required.
I also carry a plastic 'trailer leveling' pad in my recover bag for a base for the hi-lift if the shovel won't do.

My 2 pennies.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:47 pm

I would like to point out that Toby's OCD got the better of him. . .

I found that my trusty bottle jack has simply worn out. It had twice as much travel as we used:oops: . I'm picking up a new one and/or carrying a small floor jack. I'm totally diggin' the universal socket thingy. . . :lol: :lol:

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:52 am

I'm really liking these threads because I'm trying to get a new rig together and it's nice to re-enforce or maybe get a more ideas on what to carried.
I'm also noticing that the new rigs require a slight change in tool, as Toby and scumby have mentioned, unlocking hubs to drive home with a broken isn't an option with the newer unibearing axles.

I've actually had good luck with this set. Yes, they work on SAE and metric but have found sometimes the "slop" it takes to grab some nut/bolts is to much in tight areas.
http://www.metrinch.tv/index.php/combin ... rinch.html
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:11 am

OldGreen wrote:I won't use a hi-lift in the snow. Period.

Start packing a Race Jack, I'm sure you can find room somewhere in the back of Chuck.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:28 am

I also carry welding rod and jumper cables. Another thing you may want to consider is valve lapping compound. I use it when there is a rounded off bolt or nut. It also does the same for screws. It helps the tool grab whatever rounded hardware you are trying to remove.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Lurch wrote:I also carry welding rod and jumper cables. Another thing you may want to consider is valve lapping compound. I use it when there is a rounded off bolt or nut. It also does the same for screws. It helps the tool grab whatever rounded hardware you are trying to remove.

Brilliant!

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm just building a rig that wont break or get stuck. It's gonna save me 2,000 lbs of tools and recovery gear. :fuite

I always bring a tool bag that includes electrical diagnostic tools/fuses. Tarps are a good idea, also; especially when out in wet weather. You never know when you may have to crawl under your rig in the mud...
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Boyscout

Postby Boyscout » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Good thread. Keep it up.
Marc

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE Convertible SUV 2.5L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:18 pm

I always carry a flat piece of board, seems like I get it out almost every trip when someone needs a base for a hi-lift. I also typically carry a small toolbox with all of the proper sized sockets and tools needed to pull a hub/axle on the front D30. Tire plugs and spare valve stems are good too. Lately I've been carrying a spare extra rear main leaf spring... I've only seen broken springs on the trail a few times, but it can be a difficult trail repair if it happens.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:31 pm

I carried two rear main leafs on this trip as I knew my brother-in-law was going to pack heavy. Yes, there is a weed eater and three bikes strapped to the top.

I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:05 am

i have one of those max axe multi tool 7 in 1 things and one of those plastic hi lift jack bases. and since upper level snow season is here i've mounted my pul pal.

however i do need to run through the larger size nuts on my suspension so i don't have to borrow commando14s huge adjustable wrench again.
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:49 am

commando14 wrote:I always carry a flat piece of board, seems like I get it out almost every trip when someone needs a base for a hi-lift.

The lids to my ammo cans have served me well over the years for this duty.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:39 am

One other thing. Check and test your gear on e in a while. I discovered this morning that my bottle jack won't lift anything anymore. Without a load it goes up and down fine but once I put it under a load it would only lift an inch and a half.

Return to “General BS Area”