Cider

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Cider

Postby SPR » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Been working on 11 gallons of hard cider since the Cider Run. It is a bit of work, but we juiced about 13 gallons of apple juice. We drank some and I started converting the rest to something resembling cider or vinegar... Time will tell.

Last edited by SPR on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Danny
Peak Putters Associate
Peak Putters Associate

Postby Danny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Makes me want to step right up to the bar....I think! :blink:
Forget your age and live your life!

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:06 pm

The two of three hard ciders don't suck. The third is still farting along. Cider one was dry but not much apple flavor. Cider two was dry with good apple flavor. Both rank about 8% without any sugar added. The hard cider process is pretty easy compared to making beer.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:15 pm

What's the difference between batches?

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Yeasties. Cider 1 was the low taste yeast that I use on most all home brew. It ate the sugar fast and thoroughly with no bad fart smells. Cider 2 was a special cider yeast that ate sugar kind of fast and not so thoroughly with no bad fart smell. Cider 3 was an English Ale yeast that is still chewing sugar and smells like a fart in church. I read that this is a great yeast and the bad smell will go away in time. Unfortunately, we had to smell it for a week or so during its active fart session.

I back sweetened Cider 1 a bit and filled a growler to share at dinner today. There's no carbonation so it goes down like wine with less burn.

Return to “General BS Area”