1998 and 2006 wrangler wiring diagrams

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

1998 and 2006 wrangler wiring diagrams

Postby scumby » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:39 pm

does anyone have access to alternator and a/c compressor wiring specifically? if so can you send me a link or a copy of such?
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

ZMBEKLR

Postby ZMBEKLR » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:49 am

Try here:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm

About the middle of the page is an "online repair manual section", put in your make and year and pick what part of the jeep you want info on.

Its pretty good.

Hope it helps[/url]

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:57 am

i think that is exactly what i need to chase my wiring woes.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:55 pm

for the most part the above link was very helpful however I still have an issue on my wiring. I need to adapt my (1998) wiring to a 2006 alternator.

my alternator wiring is completely different than what I am installing. the field wires from my '98 wire harness going to my alternator are DG/OR to #1 side of the field and DG to #2 side of the field but has no plug. the alternator I'm using has a plug (which I had to purchase separately) but I'm not sure which wire goes where. don't want to fry anything by hooking it up wrong. what appears to be common on several model years is that the #2 side of the field is a DG wire. So my first question is, who has a plug on the backside of their alternator and what year is it? And second, if in fact there is a DG wire does it connect to the driver side or passenger side of the back of the alternator? this is my final wiring issue on this swap and i'll be ready for a test run.

any recommendations on exhaust work?

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:35 pm

I probably have all the diagrams. I'll look later this evening when I get back to my computer.

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:48 pm

I've used bonnie and clydes in pasco and was pleased. Little better deal if it's cash. lol
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:31 pm

Here's the plug on my 01:

Looks like dark green and white, which doesn't match my service manual.

DG is the #2 Side.

Here's the 01 Diagram:

Didn't have an 06 Manual - but I do have an 05.

Here's the pinout:

Looks like it's a good deal different, the plug on the 05 has the ground circuit. So you might want to ignore all the early stuff. 05 and 06 use the same alternator according to rockauto, so that's the diagram I'd be inclined to use. The voltage regulator is probably internal to the alternator rather than pcm controlled. Ground to 2, field to 1.

Lee and Jafo both have 06 wranglers right? One of them could look at theirs and tell you for sure.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:11 am

mattawa- I think pic one tells the story. the 06 wire harness I have doesn't match the wiring diagram either color wise. i'll have to recheck the color codes you have for an '05. interestingly my '98 diagram shows DG as #2/field driver as (-) not (+). do you have a diagram for a 98 showing that as well? that being the case I should be able to hook up my DG (-) to BR/BK (-). I believe the regulators are all internal to the alternator.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:13 am

Jafo wrote:I've used bonnie and clydes in pasco and was pleased. Little better deal if it's cash. lol

? used them for what?

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:02 am

Exhaust
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:54 am

Jafo wrote:Exhaust

that's right I did ask that didn't I.

White trash

Postby White trash » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:50 am

Does the alternator original to the Jeep not bolt into the mount on the new engine? Or is the newer alternator a higher amperage so you're trying to retrofit?

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:35 pm

White trash wrote:Does the alternator original to the Jeep not bolt into the mount on the new engine? Or is the newer alternator a higher amperage so you're trying to retrofit?

original alternator won't fit so i kept the '06 and all the '06 accessory drive stuff.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:03 pm

scumby wrote:mattawa- I think pic one tells the story. the 06 wire harness I have doesn't match the wiring diagram either color wise. i'll have to recheck the color codes you have for an '05. interestingly my '98 diagram shows DG as #2/field driver as (-) not (+). do you have a diagram for a 98 showing that as well? that being the case I should be able to hook up my DG (-) to BR/BK (-). I believe the regulators are all internal to the alternator.

Yeah, that's what my 98 wiring diagram shows.

Weird that they switched it. Could be a mistake as well, I've come across more than a couple in most factory service manuals.

Here's the 98 pinout in case that helps:

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:15 pm

mattawajeep wrote:
scumby wrote:mattawa- I think pic one tells the story. the 06 wire harness I have doesn't match the wiring diagram either color wise. i'll have to recheck the color codes you have for an '05. interestingly my '98 diagram shows DG as #2/field driver as (-) not (+). do you have a diagram for a 98 showing that as well? that being the case I should be able to hook up my DG (-) to BR/BK (-). I believe the regulators are all internal to the alternator.

Yeah, that's what my 98 wiring diagram shows.

Weird that they switched it. Could be a mistake as well, I've come across more than a couple in most factory service manuals.

Here's the 98 pinout in case that helps:

so this should work by the diagram.

I should be able to hook up my DG (-) to BR/BK (-).

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:34 pm

after much thought how does this sound. regardless of which diagram you examine the wires i need to hook up are nothing more than a field or exciter circuit for the alternator. it needs a positive and a negative to create a magnetic field. i see no grounds within any alternator they are only provided externally by wires.

since the alternator is internally producing AC voltage is should not matter the polarity of the field. and i say that because of the alternating current and the diode fields will only allow rectification of the AC in one direction for positive and one direction for negative.

all that being said it should not matter which way i hook up the wires, correct?

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:14 pm

AND.............. I theorized correctly! charging at just above 14 volts by randomly connecting the wires together. now onto the exhaust.

mattawajeep

Postby mattawajeep » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:25 pm

scumby wrote:AND.............. I theorized correctly! charging at just above 14 volts by randomly connecting the wires together. now onto the exhaust.

Glad you got it figured out. Sorry I didn't respond to your last question, I've been too busy lately to focus on anything but work.

Return to “General BS Area”