Help with extending wifi to my shop

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Help with extending wifi to my shop

Postby SPR » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:32 pm

The concrete house and metal sided shop hidden behind a smaller metal building is too much for my router (N gen). I appreciate any advice for how to get wifi to my shop. For example, can I run a LAN line from my house for the shop and connect it to my router in the house.. Two routers in-line. I have Fharter Cable pumped from the house to the shop. I could suck the LAN line through the same conduit.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:03 pm

I've been trying to figure out the best way to do the same thing. I've been told an extender might do it but haven't tried it yet.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:10 pm

buddy uses a extender

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:12 am

If you can get a cat 5 cable into the shop, just buy another wireless hub. I can come by and configure it for you.

If you need me to get the hub I can do that as well. If you need me to install the connectors on the cat 5 I can do that as well.

PM me for my cell number, text me and let me know what you need..

Glad to help. Do that stuff every day.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:20 pm

Wrongway, thanks for the offer. I'll pull the cable and give you a call... It's going to be a week or so before I can get it done.

BTW, it's about 200 feet to my shop. Does that make a difference on the type of cable I should use?

Also, I'll pull the cable through a 1" plastic conduit that contains a coax cable. The conduit is buried in the same trench as the 200amp service. Will there be any issues that require some type of shielding for the CAT cable?
Last edited by SPR on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

bronchole

Postby bronchole » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:26 pm

I am monitoring this thread because I need to do this also. So you just need to configure the wireless hub correctly?
1997 Monsterneer
1967 Bronco (Bonchole)
10m, 2m 146.535, 70cm=KI6MCO, CB ch27=Apollo 3, GMRS ch7,

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:57 am

Who is your internet provider?

If it's Charter, you dont need to run any more cable. Just tee a wireless modem off the existing coax that runs to the shop.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:32 am

I'll check into that, but i seem to recall Charter wanted to charge me for the service to the second modem

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:26 pm

If you have the means, just run a cable.. it will provide the best connection. You're good up to 600 feet for standard Cat5 cable.

If you need some I have a box of it.

Leave the ends, I can put some RJ45's on for you if needed when configuring the router.

let me know if you would like me to pick up a router (with wireless) for your shop to make the connection or just a switch for a local connection to a desktop or laptop. Most people want wireless + local connection.

Your cable must run from the charter cable modem to the new location. The rest i can manage in about 20 min.

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Wrench wrote:Who is your internet provider?

If it's Charter, you dont need to run any more cable. Just tee a wireless modem off the existing coax that runs to the shop.

Yeah.. Charter will ding you for that. You will need another cable modem + calling them to register the mac address (more money)...

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:32 pm

SPR wrote:Wrongway, thanks for the offer. I'll pull the cable and give you a call... It's going to be a week or so before I can get it done.

BTW, it's about 200 feet to my shop. Does that make a difference on the type of cable I should use?

Also, I'll pull the cable through a 1" plastic conduit that contains a coax cable. The conduit is buried in the same trench as the 200amp service. Will there be any issues that require some type of shielding for the CAT cable?

Also, you shouldn't have issues with the coax in the conduit.. the AC isn't an issue unless it's wrapped around it like a coil.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:26 pm

Wrongway wrote: Your cable must run from the charter cable modem to the new location. The rest i can manage in about 20 min.

Don't I have to run the CAT cable from the first router connected to the Charter modem? There is only one Ethernet output on the modem.

Thanks for you offer to help and I'll take you up on it. But first I should pull the Cat cable and get a second modem. I may use my old one in the shop and get a new version for the home.

...Stay tuned

Wrongway

Postby Wrongway » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:44 pm

You are correct. Run a cable from the existing router to the new location. At that point (in the shop) you will need a new wireless router. Then some simple configurations and you should be good to go.

pascoscout

Postby pascoscout » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:24 pm

You could also go with something like this. Not sure how it compares cost wise to your current option but will provide excellent signal strength to anything in its path. The directional is nice so you aren't broadcasting your wifi in a 1.5 mile radius.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=374

ZMBEKLR

Postby ZMBEKLR » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:11 pm

You really need to invest in a new wireless router with ac bridge capabilities. I have the new ASUS and the range is will over 4000' Taken many a night walk through the neighborhood with the tablet to test the range and it's amazing.

I've had the cable guys comment on how they have never seen such a strong signal on their wireless meters. You can actually control the power output of the unit thru the computer interface.

The advantage to the AC bridge is it gives you the ability to have a second wired/wireless point as far as you want from the original wireless router and still have full bandwidth and wired points or additional wireless range extender capability if you really need to exceed that great of distance.

ASUS Wireless Router
http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC87U/

AC bridge
http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/EAN66/

I would be amazed if you needed to add the bridge even just going thru the house and shop walls. But it's there if you need it

bronchole

Postby bronchole » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:18 am

ZMBEKLR wrote:I have the new ASUS and the range is will over 4000'

I just looked and I have 1 bar of signal from your router down here in CA ;)
1997 Monsterneer

1967 Bronco (Bonchole)

10m, 2m 146.535, 70cm=KI6MCO, CB ch27=Apollo 3, GMRS ch7,

ZMBEKLR

Postby ZMBEKLR » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:19 pm

bronchole wrote:
ZMBEKLR wrote:I have the new ASUS and the range is will over 4000'

I just looked and I have 1 bar of signal from your router down here in CA ;)

I have my Messenger 4V linear hooked up to it.....1080..1080...3...break break break :dispute just like the old days!!! Can ya hear me now.

95 YJ LS6 Conversion

Return to “General BS Area”