Temporary? Partial Closure of DNR Ahtanum Roads

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Temporary? Partial Closure of DNR Ahtanum Roads

Postby SPR » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:28 am

Gleaned from the PNW4DA Region Four June Meeting minutes…

Ahtanum Recreation Issue - Ron Rutherford reported that DNR has locked gates again in the Ahtanum. One gate is on the Middle Fork Ahtanum Road at Eagles Nest the other is on the North Fork Ahtanum Road at Snow Cabin Campground; so you can't get over Darland Mountain. These closures are due to weekend warriors who turn areas into mud bogs.

After reading the article in the Yakima Herald Ron Rutherford (PNW4WDA – Land Matters Delegate) immediately put in a phone call to Jeff Jones (DNR) and Jeff said the decision to close things came after the last weekend. Ron informed Jeff that he was one who really supported and went after funding for the new Enforcement Officer Richard Rhea and he wanted to know where he was that weekend. Jeff said he was working in the Wenas area. Jeff Jones has just seen a couple pictures; and not had an opportunity to go and look at it; they just decided to close it. DNR staff plan to go and look at the damaged areas at the end of the month to determine what rehab needs to be performed. DNR may open the gates for the 4th of July.

Mike Palachuk (Shindig Wheelers) said this issue popped up on the Off Camber web site (http://www.off-camber.com/forum/topic/3 ... k-ahtanum/). It appears that the Side-by-Side user group has been fingered by DNR for much of the identified damage. There is more detail about the closure in the attached link.

Ron said the gates are locked so he can't legally go in and look at the damaged area unless he walks it. Ron hopes to go with Jeff Jones to check it out soon. DNR only has two enforcement officers in Eastern Washington.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:34 am

Any follow up info on this?
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Return to “General BS Area”