jeep hack

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

jeep hack

Postby SPR » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:44 pm

My dad sent me this. He's is not a "big brother fan" and he does raise a good point...

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/jeep-hack- ... s-bug-fix/

Prior unpublished research has been done on car hacking with the results reported to the manufacturers. They have tended to pooh-pooh the results and ignore them. This published report got their attention!
All cars, with any sort of internet connection, from all car companies are vulnerable. Most but not all would be 2013 models and newer. The GM Onstar system includes the ability for police to locate and disable a stolen car and has been in use longer. Some cars are equipped with a system that allows a finance company to disable a car if the owner is late on payments. Who knows what else can be done? Big Brother is watching. In addition to error codes, many car computers now keep a record of the use conditions and possible warranty violations for car dealer information.
This may hurt new and late model used car sales for awhile. If you don't like it, keep an older car. I can envision a future Forest Service and BLM program checking a vehicle route log for off-road violations. Welcome to our brave new world.
Dad
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:13 pm

So don't buy a 2017 Wrangler even if it has a diesel engine? Got it. Although it would be cool to set out a lawn chair on the trail and have a few drinks while I wheel it with my smartphone.
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

Return to “General BS Area”