Building a shop

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Building a shop

Postby Yrjan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:27 pm

Iulia and I are trying to build a shop on our property. I need some help and guidance if anyone will offer it. 30x50 pole built is what I'm looking at. There's an outfit just south of Portland I'm likely going to buy it from. What I need help with are things like who would you recommend for the electrical? Plumbing? Concrete slab? And is anyone willing to help me erect it when the time comes? I'm willing to pay a decent amount of money to anyone that can commit to helping me erect the framework and anything else I need help with. Our budget is $40k. I can get the building for around 16-20k but will have to go pick it up. Most likely in 2 trips. That leaves me quite a chunk of change to throw around to anyone one willing to help. The bids I got from local general contractors were in the 60-70k area but from all I've researched erecting a pole built yourself is not too difficult that the do it yourselfer can't do it with a little effort and some help. I am rarely on the board as of late with all the projects we have been doing on our house so a text message/phone call or even an email might help more than a reply.

Thanks,

Mike Cunningham
509-460-8219
michael@billrobertsonnissan.com

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: Building a shop

Postby Wrench » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 pm

For that kind of money, skip the pole building and go with a steel structure. My parents did an 80x80 a few years back that was about $25k for the entire kit, including insulation. Super-simple bolt-together, and 10x better. Insulated better, sealed better, easy to assemble, and dramatically stronger.

My 32x50 stick-built cost around $30k, and we did a lot of the work ourselves. My main reason for staying stick-built was to appease the neighborhood.

For large outlets, you can wire in two 50 amp RV outlets. Very versatile. You can use adapters to run nearly anything 110v or 220v. I pulled my own permit and did all the electrical myself. The Inspector is a great resource for information. I'm not a Certified Electrician, but most the RV codes fall right in line with household stuff. I hear the new LED ceiling lights are the shiz-nit. I'll be converting mine as the fluorescent tubes fail.

For unlimited RV size access, do a 14' tall by 12' wide garage door (that is what I have). A 12' tall door will not fit all motorhomes or 5th wheels.

I wish I had put plumbing in mine, but it would have been an uphill run for the sewer drain and much more $$.

:thu2:
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

Jafo

Postby Jafo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Mike, research versatube, that will be my choice in the spring. They have a website, but can be ordered and customized to your liking through home depot, also I get 10% discount for being a vet.
2018 JLU-R work in progress.

WRWP360

Jay W

Postby Jay W » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:55 pm

I built my 30x48x14 pole building in 2007 with help from friends and family. I didn't buy a kit, I just shopped locally for what I needed. The only things I hired out was concrete and wall insulation. Shop, 12x30 loft, electrical, bathroom and heat was about 35k. It took me all summer to build. To do it all over again I would go 16' tall to fit a 14' tall door and add a 12' roof extension on the end to park the Rv under.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:25 am

if you decide to have the electrical done Bryan haas a friend that does good work.

x3 on the 14' door :cry:
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:34 am

Wrench wrote:For that kind of money, skip the pole building and go with a steel structure. My parents did an 80x80 a few years back that was about $25k for the entire kit, including insulation. Super-simple bolt-together, and 10x better. Insulated better, sealed better, easy to assemble, and dramatically stronger.

My 32x50 stick-built cost around $30k, and we did a lot of the work ourselves. My main reason for staying stick-built was to appease the neighborhood.

For large outlets, you can wire in two 50 amp RV outlets. Very versatile. You can use adapters to run nearly anything 110v or 220v. I pulled my own permit and did all the electrical myself. The Inspector is a great resource for information. I'm not a Certified Electrician, but most the RV codes fall right in line with household stuff. I hear the new LED ceiling lights are the shiz-nit. I'll be converting mine as the fluorescent tubes fail.

For unlimited RV size access, do a 14' tall by 12' wide garage door (that is what I have). A 12' tall door will not fit all motorhomes or 5th wheels.

I wish I had put plumbing in mine, but it would have been an uphill run for the sewer drain and much more $$.

:thu2:

Steel is a little more expensive than it use to be. I have checked that option. I am still open to any suggestions you all might have. Any company's you could recommend for the structure? or should I just do a Google search?

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 am

Not sure where in Pasco you are, but definitely need to check building codes. Believe Pasco are pretty good nazis at keeping shops lower than the house. Also if you are on septic, the health department will have a say too, under an acre and thing get really interesting.
As above, build as high as you can.
If you haven't done concrete, hire it out.
I had the shell built, then we did the electrical, sealing, bla bla bla.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:03 pm

When I built mine in pasco it had to be no taller then the house and a max of 1200 Sq ft. It has to be a certain amount of feet from a septic drain field. Also limits on how close to the house and property lines it could be. Was a pain to make them happy.
You can follow me.... but it's gonna hurt ;)

Jay W

Postby Jay W » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Is everyone in city limits or are these county hurdles?

Rottwheeler

Postby Rottwheeler » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:59 am

I just got quotes from (3) local builders for a 36' x 48' x 16' pole building with (1) 12' x 14' "RV" overhead door, (2) 10' x 10' overhead doors and (1) 30" walk through door. Quotes range from $38k to $45k and include 4" concrete pad, 4" x 6" posts, 35-40lb snow load, 85 to 110mph wind resistance, vinyl coated insulation on roof and sides, 4' wainscoting (second color) and 24" soffits all around. No electrical or plumbing. The quotes came from Steel Structures of America, Quality Structures One and All American Barns. I haven't decided who I'm going with yet... and am still considering buying a kit from Payless Lumber in Hermiston and building it myself. Just sharing for comparison...
Rottwheeler
White 13' JKU Rubicon, 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex suspension, 3:73s, 35" Nittos on American Racing ATX black faux bead locks... for now.

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:28 am

MH Construction came in at $34-$37 per sq/ft. I am in county so no City of Pasco hurdles. Their bid was complete. Slab, electrical, plumbing, siding, x2 12x14 doors, x1 man door, x4 windows, siding, roofing, 20'x30' front apron, all materials, landscaping (as needed), required plans, engineering, building permit and loft. I had to scale down to 30'x40'x18' to meet my budget which is fine. We are going to the bank on Saturday and I should be giving James at MH the go ahead on Monday. their time frame from start to completion is 6-7 weeks. I feel more comfortable having someone else supervise the entire project than me trying to hire out to different contractors.

Rottwheeler

Postby Rottwheeler » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 am

Yrjan wrote:MH Construction came in at $34-$37 per sq/ft. I am in county so no City of Pasco hurdles. Their bid was complete. Slab, electrical, plumbing, siding, x2 12x14 doors, x1 man door, x4 windows, siding, roofing, 20'x30' front apron, all materials, landscaping (as needed), required plans, engineering, building permit and loft. I had to scale down to 30'x40'x18' to meet my budget which is fine. We are going to the bank on Saturday and I should be giving James at MH the go ahead on Monday. their time frame from start to completion is 6-7 weeks. I feel more comfortable having someone else supervise the entire project than me trying to hire out to different contractors.

Is that a pole building or stick built? Seems like I should give them a call... :!:
Rottwheeler
White 13' JKU Rubicon, 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex suspension, 3:73s, 35" Nittos on American Racing ATX black faux bead locks... for now.

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:10 am

"Michael,
MH Construction is pleased to provide the following budgetary pricing to furnish and install a 30x40x18’ eave Pole Building located in Pasco, WA. This pricing is based off general assumptions and direction from Michael as detailed below and subject to a defined scope of work."

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Not sure what exactly "electrical" is included, but might I suggest:
More than minimum, IIRC is a outside & inside light and a plug-in.
Run a new powerline with 200amp meter and fullsize breaker panel. You may not use all 36 but if you go to add, it will be nice to have the room. Also 220 stuff eats space fast.
If you want to run off one meter, replace the existing with a 400amp base and run 200 to the house and shop.
DON'T use a small 50/100 amp sub box off the house power, you'll run out of space and never have enough power. This leads to unplugging the compressor to plug the welder in, big pain.

Just my two cents.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:08 pm

I think James is 100% spot on with his detailed electrical summary. It costs money but should be done correct the first time.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

Deputy Dodge 413
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Deputy Dodge 413 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:50 pm

Rottwheeler, I used Steel Structures America to build my shop but really wish I had gone with Quality. I'll gladly tell the horror story SSA put me through, but the short version is it took almost a year to get at 24 x 36 x 12 shop built, and untold attorney fees and liens. I have a couple hundred photos to document the problems. Frankly I'm surprised they are still in business. The only good thing that came out of it was I learned a lot about contract law.

Yrjan
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Yrjan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:18 am

bobracing wrote:Not sure what exactly "electrical" is included, but might I suggest:
More than minimum, IIRC is a outside & inside light and a plug-in.
Run a new powerline with 200amp meter and fullsize breaker panel. You may not use all 36 but if you go to add, it will be nice to have the room. Also 220 stuff eats space fast.
If you want to run off one meter, replace the existing with a 400amp base and run 200 to the house and shop.
DON'T use a small 50/100 amp sub box off the house power, you'll run out of space and never have enough power. This leads to unplugging the compressor to plug the welder in, big pain.

Just my two cents.

Noted, thanks for the advise. I will definitely talk to James about this when he comes over...

Rottwheeler

Postby Rottwheeler » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:53 am

Deputy Dodge 413 wrote:Rottwheeler, I used Steel Structures America to build my shop but really wish I had gone with Quality. I'll gladly tell the horror story SSA put me through, but the short version is it took almost a year to get at 24 x 36 x 12 shop built, and untold attorney fees and liens. I have a couple hundred photos to document the problems. Frankly I'm surprised they are still in business. The only good thing that came out of it was I learned a lot about contract law.

Deputy Dodge 413, thank you for the feedback on SSA. They are the highest priced of the three. I queried a few folks in my neighborhood about their experiences and got recommendations for both All American Barns and Quality Structures One. I pretty much got silence regarding SSA.
Rottwheeler

Return to “General BS Area”