Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Recreation report

Postby Grumpy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:35 am

Posting here so more can see it.

I-GO: Information for the Great Outdoors

Positive Outlook for Outdoor Recreation in 2017

Outdoor recreation contributes $650 billion to the American economy, and supports tens of millions of jobs. According to ARC’s new report: Outdoor Recreation Outlook 2017, those numbers are only expected to grow. Most components of the recreation industry reported significant gains in 2016 and the general outlook for the industry in 2017 is optimistic. Key items from the report include:

• Visitation to National Parks is up 3.9% over 2015, an increase of 9.7 million visits
• Total capital expenditures for state park operations increased by 25.3% ($159 million)
• 16.5 million people visited recreation.gov in 2016, up 38%
• Since the end of the “Great Recession,” the RV industry has come roaring back, with RV shipments up more than 125%
• 45.7 million Americans participated in fishing in 2015, including 3.4 million Hispanics
• Almost 20% of new campers are African-American, the majority of whom are also millennials
• From 2011 through 2015, boat sales grew in the 5 to 6% range and retail sales could be up in the 8 to 10% range annually in the next several years
• Recreational horseback riding contributes $32 billion a year to the national economy
• More than 23 million Americans participated in snow sports last year, including downhill skiing, snowboarding, cross country skiing and snowshoeing
• Annual registration of snowmobiles is reported at 1.4 million, and average use is up 10%
• Archery participation in America climbed about 14% from 2012 to 2014, boosting the number of archers to 21.6 million
• Growth in outdoor adventure sports is strongest among outfitters offering stand-up paddleboard instruction, cabin rentals, interpretive trips, environmental education and paddlesports activities
• Promotional campaigns like Discover Boating (led by NMMA), Go RVing (led by RVIA) and Take Me Fishing (led by RBFF) are generating billions of impressions and have a collective estimated budget of nearly $45 million annually.

Our conclusion in the comparable forecast last year was that recreation activities will increase as more people seek active, healthy, “high value” vacationing. Even more now, we see America’s great outdoors as a perfect fit for this desire.

Read the full report

Attachments
Outdoor-Recreation-Outlook-2017.pdf (2 downloads)

Board of Directors, BlueRibbon Coalition
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: Recreation report

Postby scumby » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:07 pm

impressive numbers! i wonder what % jeep sales are up?
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:08 pm

scumby wrote:impressive numbers! i wonder what % jeep sales are up?

I've noticed a whole lot more side-by-side market increase than Jeep stuff.

The RV sales here in the Tri Cities has grown more in the last 3 years than what was posted. It's just plain gone insane.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:58 am

Wrench wrote:
scumby wrote:impressive numbers! i wonder what % jeep sales are up?

I've noticed a whole lot more side-by-side market increase than Jeep stuff.

The RV sales here in the Tri Cities has grown more in the last 3 years than what was posted. It's just plain gone insane.

true. SxSs are everywhere now.
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

Return to “General BS Area”