Winch

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

kindtones

Winch

Postby kindtones » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:58 am

I am just wondering what brand of winch do you guys use when you go off-roading? What do you guys think of Smittybilt Winch? They are currently on sale. I am really tempted to get it for my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

Gregandlina
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: Winch

Postby Gregandlina » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:41 am

I have a gen1 X2O and it has worked well for me (and I need it a lot). But smittybilt does have a reputation for poor quality overall.
2012 JKUR
Dashboard Hula Girl
Stubby Antenna

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:52 am

Warn...
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Rugged Ridge 8500: On the Blazer. Been a good winch, pulled more bushes out with it than anything else but has always worked when needed and has a fairly fast (for a lay down winch) no-load speed.

Warn 8274: This is on my trail rig, fast, reliable, and holds about 50' more rope than most lay downs, doesn't get any better.
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:14 pm

What James said about the 8274 Warn. Pretty much the gold standard. Spendy mothers, but you can't go wrong. Used ones don't come up too regular, and tend to be about half of new, which is almost 2K.
Dave

Quote:

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

bobracing

Postby bobracing » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Do have to add, the 8274 has a few different options.
Early 8274s have the 2.6hp motor, still pulls hard but also a little slower at about 50fpm with no-load.
The newer 8274-50, has a 4.6hp motor and will run about 80fpm no-load.
A 6hp 9k winch motor can be added to any 8274, warn does not recommend it but from what I've read they pull HARD. The 2.6hp pulls hard to begin with and Warn does recommend the 4.6hp motor to replace the 2.6hp.

If you look at the charts, the 8274 is about twice the no-load speed of any winch and is very close to the Warn 9Ks at full load.

Chinese motors can replace the Warns for a little less then 1/2 the price but it's still taking your chances with a motor from ???

As for price, Grump is probably right for the 8274-50 or a good rebuilt but the older 8274 can be had in the $500 range. I'd expect some seals and maybe a brake rebuild as possible issues at $500 or less.

My two cents
James
'92 YJ with a little something of everything.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:38 pm

My first winch was a Smittybilt XRC8 I bought new when they first came out with their new 5hp series wound motor. It was slow and always sounded like it had gravel in it. :lol:
I abused it by getting stuck a lot in my then mostly stock Jeep. It died before its second birthday. It's been sitting on my garage floor for 6 years. Maybe they are better now, but I wasn't about to buy another one.
I bought an old used Warn xd9000i off of a project Jeep our club Prez had years ago. It's been amazing. Fast, quiet, and always works when I need it...and it's older than my Jeep. 8)
Good luck with your winch hunting. Lots of choices.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 am

Kindtones, check your PMs. May have found you a winch for cheap.
Dave

Quote:

Lud
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lud » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Warns are the standard but if you go with any new alternative I'd suggest a Superwinch. I have a 9500 and the line speed is second only to the Warn for a lot less. Mine held 150' of steel cable and now has 130ft of synthetic. I've pulled bigger rigs with no problems.

Lifetime warranty. When I bought mine they were the only other winch made in the USA in Connecticut. They make winches for the military.

Had mine for 10 years, never missed a beat. If you go synthetic the Superwinches have an external drum brake and the drum runs cooler. Also waterproof solenoids. Their customer service is awesome. Mine came with a steel cable with a kink in it. Called them up and had a free steel replacement line in 3 days. I have since went to synthetic and it's great.
2004 TJ Wrangler X (Rubiclone)
2.5" OME Lift, 1.25 in Body Lift, Flat Fender Flares
35x12.50x15 Maxxis Razor MTs
D30 ARB 4.56s Rear JKD44 w/ 8.8 disk brakes Ford 9" goodies, 4.56 and ARB.

kindtones

Postby kindtones » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I went ahead and bought a Warn Winch.

Return to “General BS Area”