Cherokee motor and tranny Rebuild

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

Casey

Cherokee motor and tranny Rebuild

Postby Casey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:24 am

So I am at a point in life where I have begun to look at houses, and I am needing to start saving for a down payment. I am considering selling my JK and buying a Cherokee (preferably one already built) to get rid of my loan and pay off student loans faster. I found a few very nice ones but most have high mileage. What shops in town do rebuilds, got a quote from American transmission and they seemed really steep. Trying to factor in the need to do a rebuild when looking at these jeeps and before I post mine for sale.
And if anyone is looking for a JK Sport mine will be for sale in about a week.

tobyw

Re: Cherokee motor and tranny Rebuild

Postby tobyw » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 am

Are you talking XJ Cherokee? If so, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about budgeting for a rebuilt engine or transmission unless you are looking specifically for one that has already been abused or neglected... Both the 4.0L and the AW4 (or AX-15 if going manual) are extraordinarily durable and will provide an obseen service life with even the most basic of maintenance and care. I personally know of several that are deeeeeeeeep into the 300k mile range on mostly stock stuff - water pumps, alternators, etc have died along the way but those are relatively inexpensive and brick simple to replace. Do some shopping around and make an informed purchase up front, and enjoy many many many trouble free miles while you get that house squared away!
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

Casey

Re: Cherokee motor and tranny Rebuild

Postby Casey » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:55 am

Thats very true, my thoughts were if I bought one and it ended up needing it a little down the road I would have saved that money, but most likely they won't need it for awhile. My brothers cherokee from high school we still see running around all the time and it has to have a tons of miles on it now!

My Jeep will be up for sale tomorrow if anyone is interested!

Return to “General BS Area”