Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

New rubber

Postby commando14 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:57 pm

Finally got new tires a few weeks back.

And if anybody cares to know a 35" BFG MudTerrain mounted on a steel wheel weighs 80 pounds, and a 35" MTZ on the same wheel weighs 92 pounds.

Hope my D35 can handle the extra weight :lol:

Grumpy
Peak Putters' Land-Use Coordinator

Postby Grumpy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Steve's MTZ's are on aluminum wheels, so may be about 2lbs less :D
Dave
Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon80
-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.
-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

Beep Beep

Postby Beep Beep » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:13 pm

Nice!

oddball
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby oddball » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:02 am

Looks great. What sold you on the MTZ's? I'm not real happy with my BFG's sidewalls or the ability to hold air.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:08 pm

oddball wrote:Looks great. What sold you on the MTZ's? I'm not real happy with my BFG's sidewalls or the ability to hold air.

I really wanted to get the new BFG MudTerrain KM2's, but they won't be coming out with 15" wheel sizes until Sept.

I was trying to decide between the Dick Cepek Mud Country, the Cooper STT, and the MT MTZ. Cooper owns Dick Cepek and MT. All three tire carcuses are essentially the same, identical measurements. I decided I liked the MTZ tread and they were the cheaper than the others.

Might run them for a year or two and then get some of the new BFG's.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:28 pm

Hey David,
Did you get your MTZs from Jordan Tire on eBay (in Ohio near Canton)? I've opted for Dick Cepek Mud Countrys, but no one around here can get them without a TON of freight.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:02 pm

I think it was Jordan Tire.. I'll double check tonight.

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Yep it was Jordan Tire. At the time they were offering free shipping on a lot of their tires, I got em for $800 buy it now with free shipping. They also had the Mud Countrys and they were $850 at the time if I remember right. It was cheaper than any other place I could find online or local.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Well my tires are on the way from Jordan tire. Great deal even with the freight and a rebate that will cover mounting and balancing. Now I just need to make room under the Jeep for them. I'm hunting / camping the next two weekends, so it looks like I'll be doing the lift the weekend of the 18th.
Okay, we're a little crazy to have a Duramax for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

79chevy39.5's

Postby 79chevy39.5's » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:54 am

have you had a chance to get these new rubbers out? A buddy of mine here in ohio has some in he 38" flavor and they just pack up real bad. Even with him bein locked f/r and me bein open in the front still my iroks put me a lot farther on hills ect.

YJ 2 XJ

Postby YJ 2 XJ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:40 pm

looks great!

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Is it my birthday?

Postby iaccocca » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:00 pm

5# Dick Cepek Mud Countrys in the flavor of 33 x 12.50 R 15. Getting mounted and balanced as I type.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

GRADESCHOOL

Postby GRADESCHOOL » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:03 pm

The mud country is a great tire... I have them in a 31 and have been very happy with them off road. Mine havent worn to well but i think thats my jeep lol..

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:33 am

awesome!, Can't wait to see the transformation. After I just bought my 33" Toyos, Pro-Comp came out with a "buy 3 get one free" deal. :( Oh well.
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:46 am

Nobody is more excited to see the transformation than me. I forgot that the 18th is the opener for pheasant (private land wild birds, gotta be there.) So I'll be putting the lift and tires on the weekend of the 25th / 26th.

Gotta do some work to get the 33s to fit the stock spare tire carrier, but it should not take much; raising the brake light and spacing out the snubbers.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:51 pm

I bought some hockey pucks and shaved the sides off them to match the stock tire bumpers. Drilled a hole through the middle and bought some longer bolts (metric on those ones) Had to go to Tacoma screw to get ones with a allen head on them, since Lowes only had them with a standard bolt head. They were very cheap-----the hockey pucks were not :shock:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

tenikiwon2

Postby tenikiwon2 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:24 pm

commando14 wrote:I really wanted to get the new BFG MudTerrain KM2's, but they won't be coming out with 15" wheel sizes until Sept.

Well They are out now, and I'm thinking of going that way. But w/o starting a which tire is better thread. why BFG? I've used their AT's on/off road and they are GREAT on road and Fine off-road. I know I need a MT but was going to go with MT Baja Claws (I think) but I don't wanna spend over $200/tire.

White trash

Postby White trash » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:06 pm

Claws wear like crap on road and I have yet to be impressed with them offroad. Bfg's have paper sidewalls and once you drop the air pressure down the wheel will spin inside the tire ruining the bead allowing them to start leaking.

Mtz's are a nice tire from what I've seen, not sure on their durability though. The pro comp extreme terrains are a sweet tire with a good sidewall. If I was looking for a tire that small I'd be looking at a set of truxus mt's... 8)

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:15 am

True story on the BFG's about not holding air! Ask Roman, OddBall, and me. My 16" will no longer stay on the rim under about 15lbs. Kinda annoying...
Dave

Have Scout, will wheel...Someday...Maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon80

-By driving a Scout, you my friend have recycled, which is more than those pansy Prius owners can say.

-I love driving a piece of history that was nearly lost.

TJDave
Peak Putters VP
Peak Putters VP

Postby TJDave » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:09 am

White trash wrote: If I was looking for a tire that small I'd be looking at a set of truxus mt's... 8)

:humhihi A tire that small!! That's funny! Hey wait a minute, a lot of us have tires that small :oops:
2018 JLU Rubicon
Tow bar mount
Trailer hitch

White trash

Postby White trash » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:12 am

TJDave wrote:
White trash wrote: If I was looking for a tire that small I'd be looking at a set of truxus mt's... 8)

:humhihi A tire that small!! That's funny! Hey wait a minute, a lot of us have tires that small :oops:

:lol: not trying to sound condescending by that... as I will actually be on the hunt for some 31's before too long.. But I think my yota would look a bit out of sorts with 35's on it... :shock:

Lurch
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Lurch » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:19 am

I just went with the goodyear mtr's. I know a couple guys that run them and have been very impressed. Just finishing up the beadlocks. I'll post some pics when I get them all mounted.

sams88

Postby sams88 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:51 am

Grumpy wrote:True story on the BFG's about not holding air! Ask Roman, OddBall, and me. My 16" will no longer stay on the rim under about 15lbs. Kinda annoying...

Yeah, I'd bought a set of BFG MT 35's for my son-in-law, and the tires are now absolutely worthless. They get about 50 blocks to the air pump running at full pressure, and can't even roll on flat ground with them aired down. :( When they put the "lip" on the new improved MT (old style) they totally ruined a very good tire. Traction like ever, but it isn't worth anything if it won't stay on the rim.

Bought two sets of radial 37" IROC's and we are both really happy with them.
90 MJ, 5.5" RE Long arm
88 yota p/u

commando14
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby commando14 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:16 pm

tenikiwon2 wrote:
commando14 wrote:I really wanted to get the new BFG MudTerrain KM2's, but they won't be coming out with 15" wheel sizes until Sept.

Well They are out now, and I'm thinking of going that way. But w/o starting a which tire is better thread. why BFG? I've used their AT's on/off road and they are GREAT on road and Fine off-road. I know I need a MT but was going to go with MT Baja Claws (I think) but I don't wanna spend over $200/tire.

I ran the old style BFG MudTerrain (pre KM's) for about 7 years before getting a cut in the sidewall in one up at Rimrock. I really liked them. I think they were the best snow tire, I would run them down to 3 psi in the snow and never had a problem with losing beads. The BFG KM's can't go below about 9 psi without losing air. I was hoping they fixed that problem with the new BFG KM2's. My dad used to have BFG's on his Jeepster and ran them for years without cutting any sidewalls.

They have thinner sidewalls, but I think that's what made them good snow tires. I air my MTZ's down to 6psi on the dirt trails and it feels like I'm running 30 compared to my old BFG's :lol:

I've never been impressed with the Claws either... seen them ran in the snow and they were horrible.

iaccocca
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby iaccocca » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:31 pm

TJDave wrote:I bought some hockey pucks and shaved the sides off them to match the stock tire bumpers. Drilled a hole through the middle and bought some longer bolts (metric on those ones) Had to go to Tacoma screw to get ones with a allen head on them, since Lowes only had them with a standard bolt head. They were very cheap-----the hockey pucks were not :shock:

Well I got my spare on...

...but the snubbers on the tailgate still do not meet the tire, even with the shaved hockey pucks. Too much (or is it too little offset?)...

Fortunately the snubber on the body under the tailgate does meet and the spare is not shaking around much. Good enough on pavement. I think I have a plan to space the snubbers out just a bit further. I didn’t raise the 3rd brake light, it is tight, but it fits.

Now it is time to get the other four tires on. This weekend I’m going to do the lift… springs, shocks, adjustable track bars, disconnects and sway bar relocator. There will be beer in the shop fridge and Pizza Hut on the speed dial if anyone wants to lend a hand. Just PM me your beer preference and I will PM you my address and telephone number.
N7EEL WROD249
8-) Image 8-)

Return to “General BS Area”