17’s With a Higher Load Rating

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

tobyw

17’s With a Higher Load Rating

Postby tobyw » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:30 pm

Looking for feedback on some tow pig meats with a rated capacity higher than the typical 3195 lbs... size either 265 or 285 for a 17” wheel.
Yep, I've wheeled one of those, too...

tobyw

Re: 17’s With a Higher Load Rating

Postby tobyw » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Well as it turns out, there is no such animal. For reasons unknown to this pharmer, 17's are among the lowest load capacity wheel size on modern era pickups. There are a multitude of 16", 18", and 20" wheels/tires with substantially higher capacity than 17's, so the path forward is to ditch the 17's and step into a set of larger diameter wheels (I can't run 16's because of the brakes) and gain the load capacity I'm after when hauling the Mobile Marriott.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:48 pm

I’ve ran the same exercise... hoped you had a different results. I found the modern dodge switched to 18” rims. I found many modern used factory take-offs with low miles including rims for about $900-1100. Turns out the new factory 18” tires are about 3% larger than the factory 17” tires. The truck carries the fat camper much better with the larger tires. Give me a holler and I’ll let you know the painful steps that I took to improve my fat camper on my 1ton dodge.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Steve - I'd love to hear about what all you've done to yours to beef it up for the weight of the camper. I still need to get across the scales with the Marriott latched on and the JKU inside, but I'm guessitmating I've got in excess of 4,000lbs of pin weight when we are all loaded out :? I made the jump to a set of factory 18's and new BFG's, and I've got a set of Firestone airbags in there, but the truck is due for shocks so I'm starting to research the options there...

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:28 pm

My 2007.5 Dodge Ram 1 ton did not come with a factory sway bar like the 3/4 tons do. I installed a a sway bar and that may have helped, but the bigger tires made the most difference. I think I should dump the factory shocks and install new heavy duty shocks, but I have not done much looking. I did read that others found bigger shocks made a greater difference than a sway bar.

I only use the airbags to even out the loaded truck. Over inflated bags make for a harsh ride and really did not compensate for under sized tires.
I don't Text (at least not very well), I eat Blackberrys, and I only Twitter after sex...

tobyw

Postby tobyw » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:34 am

Did you use a factory 3/4 ton sway bar, or did you go aftermarket?

Roman
Peak Putters President
Peak Putters President

Postby Roman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

Not the same rig, but I replaced my factory swaybar with an upsized replacement that came with new urathane bushings. My initial problem was wasted factory rubber bushings, but the new bar and bushings was just a bit more.

For the Chevy class A turd on wheels Bilsteins are the #2 top shock, but #1 (Koni) is SO much more almost no one runs them.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:07 pm

tobyw wrote:Did you use a factory 3/4 ton sway bar, or did you go aftermarket?

Big fat aftermarket. I think any sway bar combined with overloaded tires won’t make much difference.

Deputy Dodge 413
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Deputy Dodge 413 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 pm

I was looking at bilstiens for my ram 2500 but I think I'll bite the bullet and get Rancho 9000 adjustables. If that doesn't cure my (limited) issues I'll look into a hellwig sway bar.

SPR
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby SPR » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:57 pm

I have the Hellwig sway bar. I suspect big tires and good shocks are the best first steps for heavy camper. Air bags are nice folks leveling things out.

Return to “General BS Area”