Jessy is moving to Spain

Post whatever here.

Moderator: TJDave

OldGreen

Jessy is moving to Spain

Postby OldGreen » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:20 pm

Dear Wheelin' Family. . .

As many of you know, my daughter Jessica is moving to Spain in early January. Our son-in-law, Zack, is in the Navy and has been stationed in Rota, Spain, aboard the USS Carney, a guided missile destroyer. They will be there for the next three years. During that time, Zack will be at sea for 4 months at a time. This leaves Jess alone and many thousands of miles from any familiar face for long periods of time. So, naturally, she wants to bring her dog with her.

As it turns out, it is very expensive to relocate a dog to Spain. The Navy is OK with Roo coming along but they don’t help with the costs. So, they have set up a “gofundme” site to help cover some of the cost.

I understand that it seems kind of silly on the surface, but it is going to help keep our daughter/cousin/niece/etc. sane while her husband is out protecting us. It will also give Zack some piece of mind while he is gone knowing that Jess has some protection and companionship.

So, if you feel compelled to help. . .please do. If you can’t, please feel free to forward the link below to someone that you believe would. Even $5 helps.

https://www.gofundme.com/pet-family-nee ... e-to-spain

Thank you so very much! Happy Holidays!

Jim and Lori Moss

PS: Jess is 20. Think about what it would have been like to be alone for months at a time in a foreign country at 20. . .
PPS: Yes, we are helping. A lot. There are some pretty major things that need to be taken care of here before they go.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Re: Jessy is moving to Spain

Postby scumby » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:56 pm

the government provides a $1000 stipend for miscellaneous expenses that'll help cover some of that expense.
Lightly Lifted and Locked LJ

I'm Scumby Dammit, take it or leave it!

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:09 pm

That is interesting information that they have not been given to this point. I will make sure that they follow up for sure. When you are a single income household with the other member being a full time college student, every dollar helps. Thanks.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:22 pm

scumby wrote:the government provides a $1000 stipend for miscellaneous expenses that'll help cover some of that expense.

So. . .assuming you are talking about DLA. They don't get that because it is their first duty station. If they are moved again, they will They do get a 300 euro allowance for house hunting and per diem during the move but that is it. So. . .yeah, no bueno.

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:46 am

we received it each time we went over and it was called a misc expense to cover such things as pets, phone contracts utility hook ups and what not. but then again we were under civilian orders.

Wrench
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby Wrench » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:01 am

scumby wrote:we received it each time we went over and it was called a misc expense to cover such things as pets, phone contracts utility hook ups and what not. but then again we were under civilian orders.

Were you active duty military? Enlisted?

I was in for almost 10 years, had 2 PCS moves, and never heard of this. Enlisted, USAF. When we moved to Japan we were also told that the pet expense would be on us. Not sure why the difference.
Paul
'84 XJ, '19JL

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 am

It doesn't exist for them.

Paul = Rockstar. Jess and Zack thank you from the bottom of their hearts for your generosity.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks TJ Dave!

scumby
Peak Putters Member
Peak Putters Member

Postby scumby » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:38 pm

wrench.

military? more like uniformed service but exact same JTR, joint travel regs. i believe the coast guard did gives us DLA, dislocation allowance each time we moved for the expenses i mentioned above.

oh, retired after 20 years and 4 months of active duty coast guard. 3 years on cape may nj, 3 years sitka ak and 13 years in kodiak ak. and a year on misc locations that were not permanent duty stations.

OldGreen

Postby OldGreen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Goal reached. Pup got her ride!!!!

Thank you!

Return to “General BS Area”